The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Kellan Lain

He is not Brian Boyle. Brian Boyle is a finesse big man, this guy is not. Will he have the 20 goal seasons? Maybe but probably not, but he is a complete prick to play against and defensively responsible. Which is the perfect 3rd or 4th line center. Basically my point is, I am happy we signed him.

If he turns out like a gaustad I'd be thrilled.

We pulled tanev out of college and he's pretty much our best defenseman now it's just too early to admit it.. We have no reason not to think this is a good pickup..

From the sounds of the article I somehow got redirected to trying to learn how to use twitter, he sounds like our model project player that could pan out for us.

“Kellan is a big, strong, detailed player; wins face-offs, finishes checks, plays with an edge, is hard on his opponents and skates well too.”

-Dave Gagner

Guys like that get chances on our team over guys like shirokov and grabner. He's going to have a real good shot at succeeding in the NHL as long as AV is our coach. 2 good games from a gritty hardworking guy and AV throws him on the second line. Looking at the way AV manages his young players this guy is going to get better chances than guys like Schroeder. I'm not really knocking AVs style here even though I don't agree with it half the time. Just pointing out in Kellan's case, it works in his favor. Guys like Schroeder can still do it, their road is just a bit bumpier.

Says he's real close with Sam Gagner so he knows Dave real well and junior manny was one of his idols when he played for Guelph. Comes from a family of teachers so he's probably got a good head on his shoulders. Sounds like a very respectful person overall from what I read but still plays with an edge when he's on the ice.

Looking at and breaking all the intangibles around this prospect and his development, I get the sense he is going to have a real good chance to succeed in the NHL. As long as he shows a willingness to work hard, listen, learn and improve I think he will get, for lack of better words, "special treatment".

What's real intriguing to me is the mention he needs to pack on muscle. The guy is a monster at 6'6 and 222.. What will he max out at 235-240?

I'm also really excited to see how he fights. Coming out of NCAA we really have no idea yet. If he gets thicker, can hold his own with the heavyweights and play a Lapierre(last year) quality game, then this is a HUGE win for us. 4th liner, whatever, you need good ones to win cups. If he's got a chance to be one.. i want to give him that chance!

Stoked to see what he does. Good luck Kellan!

He won't be our savior by any means, but depth at center isn't ever a bad thing. We don't spend a pick selecting him, and by the sounds of it he's got some useful aspects to his game. We don't lose anything by rolling the dice on this guy.

Archived