The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

I agree with this. It's exclusive.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which likely translated to "Deb's an ass". Whatever, it irked me.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which, mostly, likely translated to "Deb's an ass".

I believe the two official languages should always be displayed. Period.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which likely translated to "Deb's an ass". Whatever, it irked me.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence. Period.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence.

i find it intimidating when they have chinese only signs, i usually dont enter or buy anything from a business like that. Its like they are saying "unless you speak chinese stay out!"

good on them for starting a petition.

It is too much I would say. I live in Surrey but I have always seen signs first in English and then in Punjabi. But in Richmond in so many places it is only in Chinese. I once went to a Chinese restaurant and had to come out without eating as I could not read Chinese and many things on menu were only in Chinese. It is ok to like your own native language but respect your country’s national language and please use it.

Archived