The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

Actually it is Canada - if you accept that we are a multicultural country with no official culture and do not place one culture above another.We do force people to speak English or French outside of very limited circumstances. It seems many people misunderstand what it means to have English as an official language.

Per the Canadian Multiculturalism Act

AND WHEREAS the Constitution of Canada and the Official Languages Act provide that English and French are the official languages of Canada and
neither abrogates nor derogates from any rights or privileges acquired or enjoyed with respect to any other language
;

3. (1) It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Government of Canada to

(i)
preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French...

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

I would think there are more people of other ethnicities (First Nations, Indian, Oriental, etc.) than there are French people...

I think it should just be live and let live. If you can't read something on the menu at a CHINESE restaurant, go to White Spot...

No , People have rules they need to follow

Chinese is not recognized as a official language in Canada , English and French are and i 100 percent agree that if Chinese people want to be in business in Canada then the official languages need to be used or go back to communist China and open your business there because if you want to live here you then need to adapt to Canadian policys and in brace this countries culture

No , People have rules they need to follow

Chinese is not recognized as a official language in Canada , English and French are and i 100 percent agree that if Chinese people want to be in business in Canada then the official languages need to be used or go back to communist China and open your business there because if you want to live here you then need to adapt to Canadian policys and in brace this countries culture

I think kazin! and I share the same view then. You can leave the businesses out of this but you gotta admit there are some Chinese immigrants out there who have come here and couldn't care less about learning English because they know they can get by just fine without it.

I saw it in high school when you had students who looked like they were really trying to get a handle on the language and even made English-speaking friends, then you had the other students who again, seemed like they couldn't care less and kept to a social circle of similar people. Lo and behold the latter still struggled with English all the way through grade 12.

I think kazin! and I share the same view then. You can leave the businesses out of this but you gotta admit there are some Chinese immigrants out there who have come here and couldn't care less about learning English because they know they can get by just fine without it.

C'est vrai, c'est vrai qu'on a été battus, au fond, par quoi? Par l'argent puis des votes ethniques, essentiellement. ("It's true, it's true we were beaten, yes, but by what? By money and ethnic votes, essentially.") ~ Quebec PQ Premier Jacques Parizeau October 30, 1995 conceding defet in the Quebec separatism referendum.

C'est vrai, c'est vrai qu'on a été battus, au fond, par quoi? Par l'argent puis des votes ethniques, essentiellement. ("It's true, it's true we were beaten, yes, but by what? By money and ethnic votes, essentially.") ~ Quebec PQ Premier Jacques Parizeau October 30, 1995 conceding defet in the Quebec separatism referendum.

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

My main concern with this is not the signage itself but with how there are so many prople who refuse to learn english. it's clearly dividing people within communities apart. It divides co workers ( and I'm not just talking about Chinese).

People don't want to associate with each other. It's pushing us apart from a community stand point.

Archived