The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

The people against multiculturalism seem fixated on the past. The world is now connected globally through the internet. This is a global community with many shared values. We don't live in isolated communities anymore.

The people who are so against the Chinese signs are living in the past. I saw the video of the two organizers and they were 2 elderly women with white hair. The older generation are always the last to adopt to a changing world.

The people against multiculturalism seem fixated on the past. The world is now connected globally through the internet. This is a global community with many shared values. We don't live in isolated communities anymore.

The people who are so against the Chinese signs are living in the past. I saw the video of the two organizers and they were 2 elderly women with white hair. The older generation are always the last to adopt to a changing world.

That's rather short sighted though...to assume anything about people based on their apparent age/hair colour?

Again, how is this any different than being racist? When you determine something about someone based on characteristics beyond their control? As much as where you're born shouldn't bring ciriticism or discrimination, neither should age. They could be computer whizzes for all you know.

I, for one, am not against "multi" culturalism. I'm about sharing cultures and learning from one another...no one is superior, no one is more entitled. But we both/all need to extend that arm and signs that do not aren't helping us to be "multi" anything. Sure, keep your language, culture, etc....but "share" it with me so I can learn about it.

People get fixated and are quick to compartmentalize things when they feel opposition to something that involves race/culture. But listen beyond that to hear that you've missed the mark.

And why is your bias against "white hair elderly women" acceptable? Can you please enlighten me on that?

So senior's opinions are invalid now? Discrimination is discrimination, no matter how you package it up.

"Sharing" is a key word here and it can be applied to those signs, which should share their message with everyone. Moved on from this as it is, really, a non issue in of itself but there is a much larger issue that is worth examining. And that is how we all "connect" to one another...not just co-exist on a side by side basis. And yes, that includes me as I will likely explore beyond my own 4 walls and try to expand and embrace something new.

<p>

well you probably never been there. There are more English on signs than Chinese at that mall, and they have a policy to enforce that. Aberdeen name is popular in HK, because of UK colonization in the 20th century,and the original developers of the mall were HK immigrants.

here's a pic of the main plaza in aberdeen mall, it's hard to even find a word of chinese on these signs.

aberdeen_centre1.jpg

I think the problem people have are the sheer number of the signs in the city, in that it is expanding beyond their comfort level. But the truth is, if you go beyond no3 rd, it is not apparent say in steveston and no 5, or no 2 and Blundell.

A lot of this talk is unmasking racism in some people. Changing demographics are the reality in many neighborhoods in Canada. Unless you stop immigration all together, you can put up all sort of laws and it wouldn't solve anything.

non Chinese speakers have a legit concern about feeling left out of the new communities. The best they can do is to reach out and open the dialogues. All the other talk are just racism (taxes, stealing jobs, shark fin soup, bad attitude from waitresses etc).

the new immigrants have to integrate, but obviously in a place like Richmond, it's too easy not to do that. But u can't blame them. It's tough to be in a new environment for anyone, and naturally they will find comfort in familiar places. I don't have answers for this, but I doubt all of them are thinking "I don't want to learn English", or "I don't like white people". After all they chose Canada. ESL classes play a huge role, and so can share community experiences. The olympics was a good one, for example.

I have no problems with Aberdeen Centre.

The growing number of Chinese-owned businesses doesn't make me uncomfortable . I grew up around the Victoria Dr. area in East Van. I watched it change through the years into what I call a "mini-Chinatown".

My grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles are all immigrants from China. I understand how difficult it is for people to adjust to a new environment. In fact, a stranger has said "Speak English; this is Canada!" to me while I was waiting for a skytrain with my mom. I don't share the same attitude as that guy. I don't want people in this country to only know English or French. I think it's great when people know more than one language.

My issue is with the Chinese-only signage and menus of certain businesses. It's because I see that as only part of a bigger problem (I think Deb has already touched on it).

I don't mean to only pick on Chinese immigrants; it's just that, since I'm also Chinese, I see this issue with them more than I do with any other group.

But maybe it doesn't matter what I say because it seems that I've already been pegged as a racist.

Wetcoaster, I tried to make the same point about the elderly seniors as being the instigators of the petiton and was raked over the coals for it. One of the elderly woman at Richmond City Hall spoke with a British accent. The gall of someone not born here complaining of new comers not adhering to local customs.

Here is a picture of her.

richmondn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

She is the grey hair lady in the middle.

This thread is really unmasking the true faces of some people here. Disappointed.

My parents moved to Canada from Hong Kong when they were teenagers and I was born in Coquitlam. They had me take Cantonese lessons for 8 years but that was pretty useless because I still can't read or write in Cantonese and I speak very little. I can understand some basic Cantonese but that's about it.

Since my family is Chinese, we go to Chinese restaurants pretty often.. and I only remember going to a restaurant that had its menu in exclusively Chinese once.. we don't go there anymore. I don't know what restaurants you guys are going to but I always order in English .. I also point to whatever I want just incase they don't understand me.

Whatever, it's the business' loss if they don't want to cater to anyone who doesn't speak any Chinese. Problem is, they don't really need to learn English either because of the high amount of Chinese speakers. Not something easy to fix.

But I see that the Chinese being so exclusive has brought out the racism in some others here.. Ironic.

Archived