The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

I was on Skytrain one day and a young Chinese woman was being berated by an older woman with a heavy East European accent for no good reason I could see other than her race. This woman was using racial insults, etc. It was quite brutal. A Couple of passengers told her to shut up but she continued on.

The young woman finally had enough and in perfect English told the woman that she had been born and raised in British Columbia and that her ancestor had come to Canada to work on the railway over 140 years ago. She then asked the woman when she had come to Canada and recommended that she try English lessons to try to get rid of her terrible accent. This exchange was met with much mirth and and the young woman was given a round of applause as the other woman was heckled.

The older woman was red-faced and left the car at the next station and got on another car.

as a canadian born chinese with parents from hong kong and can fluently write ,read and speak both cantonese and mandarin.....I actually like being around people of other cultures, but for some reason, majority of my friends are chinese asian.

I do find richmond has changed alot the past 10 years, including an increasing number of mainland chinese immigrants.

I haven't really seen these chinese only signs, but i do agree that service isn't that great, but even for us chinese people, like there have been cases where resturants are mainly mandarin, and my friends who don't speak it well have difficulty ordering and getting what they want.

I also think there is a slight problem with the way they separate themselves from others, but i also was guilty of speaking chinese during school and when with friends :unsure: , but it was more of a habit and being able to express myself freely without being misunderstood.

To be fair, i feel like chinese ppl are more "racist" towards our own "race" more, for example, if you have read the news in HK, alot of HK people really dislike mainland chinese people.

i dun think whats being said in the forum is racist....i think its more of a cultural difference problem.

BLAh.....not sure if what i said made any sense, just started to ramble, but just my personal experience and thoughts

SORRY for the long post, and we are all CANUCKS :P

Archived