The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

It seems a lot of people are worked up over nothing. Or in other words, making a mountain out of a molehole.

It is really the businesses who advertise only in Chinese are the ones who suffer because they are losing sales by catering to one group.

So why are people so upset? Veiled racism?

There is a need to separate the two issues, IMHO.

1) Lack of signage in an official language.

2) Government regulation of the topic.

There are more ways to exert pressure on businesses who do not practice inclusionary signage and service than simply not being a paying customer or requiring legislation.

The practise should be a social taboo, in my opinion, and it behooves the population who are being excluded by another to publicly decry those who do. Negative publicity can have a great affect on social change.

<p>

<br />

It seems a lot of people are worked up over nothing.  Or in other words, making a mountain out of a molehole.<br />

<br />

It is really the businesses who advertise only in Chinese are the ones who suffer because they are losing sales by catering to one group.<br />

<br />

So why are people so upset?  Veiled racism?

<p>

that's the sense I get. But there are people with way too much time on their hands. The ladies forming petition been working on it for a yr or so.

some guy in the above post about taxes or hiring FOBs, talk like that reminds of the racists I met growing in the 80's Vancouver. People in class calling u a refugee etc.

He obviously doesn't see those immigrants now coming here by first class air and driving Ferraris and Bentleys, and paying millions in taxes. They hate u when ur poor or rich.

These are not the only two options.

Starting a public debate and dialectic on the issue from Richmond residents may make small but noticeable changes in new businesses and business associations.

You can help the owners consider their bottom line in more ways than not shopping there.

One way would be to shop at those that display both and to personally thank them for doing so.

If people are aware that it is becoming a hot button topic then the forward thinkers will understand the benefits of not limiting their market. It maybe that some businesses have never really even thought that much about it, not knowing that residents of other cultures maybe interested in being a customer.

Anyone can see its not a good thing for the average person when a powerful ethnic bloc with an agenda takes over a city, whether its Chinese in the Lower Mainland, Cubans in Miami, Mexicans in the border states or whatever.

I have 3 Chinese friends, who are all fairly recent immigrants, and they tell me straight out that the way things are going here are not to the benefit of those born and raised here.

Common mistake but not excusable. :P (Points to who knows where that's from)

Canada: Mosaic. Everyone is a part of the picture, yet different culture/people still have their identity.

USA: Melting pot. Everyone must be forced into the "American" culture regardless of background.

You fundamentally misunderstand my post.

Multiculturalism is not an excuse for self ghettoisation.

The Charter that Wet has posted many times underlines commitment to official languages.

We are not talking about cultural freedom. We are not talking about race. We are talking about exclusionary practices.

I rarely spend any time in Richmond seeing as how it's really out of my way so I can't really comment on the issue of the signage.

Although someone suggested that there was a "Chinese only" restaurant or something and while I severely doubt that such a place exists that just ain't right.

Archived