The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

I really don't see how people wanting businesses to include an official language of our country in addition to the business owners native language is seen as racist or an attempt to assimilate them.

For the record, I don't care if businesses don't have English signage.

However I would think it is a questionable business decision to effectively exclude a significant proportion of the population.

No we are talking about freedom of expression as the SCOC pointed out in Ford v. Quebec.

The status of English as an official language does not compel people to speak it nor use it as is clearly set out:

AND WHEREAS the Constitution of Canada and the Official Languages Act provide that English and French are the official languages of Canada and neither abrogates nor derogates from any rights or privileges acquired or enjoyed with respect to any other language

And this should be the action of anyone who has a problem with a business' signage.

So what if everyone adopts this philosophy then? If you don't like it, don't come? Doesn't it go against everything we're trying desperately to avoid? That, to me, is a big step backward. Is it not?

Do we not lose the "multi" part if we all can't participate together? Is exclusion and segregation a direction we really want to head (back) to? That's what this leads to.

It's not racist to want to join in. It's not racist to stand up against an attitude that says "I don't care - if you don't like it don't come here...it's my property and I'll do as I please". That's not something we should adopt...it isn't the "Canadian" way. The Canadian way is to share a sense of "community" that everyone can enjoy, but this does little to support that.

I'm tired of people using the "veiled racism" card. How about applying it to those who really don't care to cater to anyone but their own? Do you not see that you're being hypocrites in not applying your thinking across the board. So Chinese people who come without any intention or desire to assimilate, communicate, or associate with anyone aren't being "racist"? Give me a break...it's a two sided coin. Maybe we should change the city welcome from "Island City by Nature" to "If You Don't Like It, Don't Come"?

Honestly, that's what you're suggesting? That's in the best interest of the residents? No, it's not.

Seriously - don't throw out the "veiled racist" BS unless you are applying it across the board and have the same standards for all. The day I can say "sorry, if you don't like it don't come" without being called a racist is the day I'll accept the same in return. That isn't the case, so I rest mine. Not a bone of racism in my body...I just like fair treatment for all. I have lived here my entire life and have never seen this before...it isn't about positive change, or I'd be on board. The day I'm being sent the message "go elsewhere" is a sorry day indeed.

I want Richmond to continue to be a place where we know our neighbours. Where we gather at places as friends, not have to avoid them because we're unsure. I don't think my way of thinking is wrong. Most of my friend/neighbours and people I do business with are Chinese. And they, too, express the same feelings. Hell, you only need scroll through to see that many here in support of this ARE Chinese people. So they're "racist"? C'mon, come up with something more creative.

So what if everyone adopts this philosophy then? If you don't like it, don't come? Doesn't it go against everything we're trying desperately to avoid? That, to me, is a big step backward. Is it not?

Do we not lose the "multi" part if we all can't participate together? Is exclusion and segregation a direction we really want to head (back) to? That's what this leads to.

It's not racist to want to join in. It's not racist to stand up against an attitude that says "I don't care - if you don't like it don't come here...it's my property and I'll do as I please". That's not something we should adopt...it isn't the "Canadian" way. The Canadian way is to share a sense of "community" that everyone can enjoy, but this does little to support that.

I'm tired of people using the "veiled racism" card. How about applying it to those who really don't care to cater to anyone but their own? Do you not see that you're being hypocrites in not applying your thinking across the board. So Chinese people who come without any intention or desire to assimilate, communicate, or associate with anyone aren't being "racist"? Give me a break...it's a two sided coin. Maybe we should change the city welcome from "Island City by Nature" to "If You Don't Like It, Don't Come"?

Honestly, that's what you're suggesting? That's in the best interest of the residents? No, it's not.

Seriously - don't throw out the "veiled racist" BS unless you are applying it across the board and have the same standards for all. The day I can say "sorry, if you don't like it don't come" without being called a racist is the day I'll accept the same in return. That isn't the case, so I rest mine. Not a bone of racism in my body...I just like fair treatment for all. I have lived here my entire life and have never seen this before...it isn't about positive change, or I'd be on board. The day I'm being sent the message "go elsewhere" is a sorry day indeed.

I want Richmond to continue to be a place where we know our neighbours. Where we gather at places as friends, not have to avoid them because we're unsure. I don't think my way of thinking is wrong. Most of my friend/neighbours and people I do business with are Chinese. And they, too, express the same feelings. Hell, you only need scroll through to see that many here in support of this ARE Chinese people. So they're "racist"? C'mon, come up with something more creative.

IMO, the petitioners aren't racist; they're simply misguided and misled to believe that English should be the langua franca when a majority of Richmondites are ethnically Chinese and speak either Cantonese or Mandarin as their primary language.

What is borderline racist are some of the posts here - the ones that say "we as citizens should not be changing our ways of life or bending to make it easier for new Canadians to adapt to our society." It hints to a desire to go back to a time before Chinese immigrants made Richmond their home and the town a majority Caucasian place

Did you read my posts? The ones that state that Steveston was a good percentage (majority) of Japanese people when I was growing up in a Japanese fishing village? No one had a problem and it has nothing, at all, to do with "caucasian"...that's just convenient for you to throw out there in order to ignore the facts. We had Japanese gardens (Garry Point has retained some of that feel), a Buddhist Church (that I frequented at times with friends) and Japanese Cultural Center that are still there/in use. The main grocer was run by a lovely Japanese couple ("Steve" & "Shirley") who sold candy, groceries and meat (lol). So don't tell me it's about "wanting to keep it caucasian". Bullocks (I think?). I never even knew that we were different in any way, because I was raised that way. We were neighbours. "Family". Our best friends next door were Japanese and, to this day, my Dad boasts the gardening tips that his best friend, Yuki, taught him. So to suggest this nonsense about wanting to "keep" anything other than a united sense of community is garbage and misinformed. Again - the convenient argument, but it doesn't make it true. It angers me...don't paint a picture that is based on a lack of information. I have never had a shred of racism in me, however, I'm learning quickly through this new thinking that doesn't embrace or welcome me and says "you don't have to come here". WTH is that? Don't tell me I have to support that kind of thinking, because I won't.

To further clarify - it's not people with another language as a "primary" language...it's the sole language. With no desire to change that. How about addressing that refusal to "bend" or leave behind the desire to stay with what they know?

You don't just turn "racist" overnight...it's either there or it's not. This hasn't been the climate in Richmond, so what's changed? Suddenly, overnight everyone lost all tolerance? Took a pill that made them start hating? No. The sense of "community" and "unity" is being threatened and, of coure, there will be a reaction to that. Join in. Welcome us, we'll welcome you and we'll continue to have the best place ever together. That's my message. I don't like hearing this "go someplace else" crap. It doesn't support this sense of community.

Going to back away for a bit, as the point is obviously lost on some here who have tunnel vision.

He is incapable of looking at anything from a moral/social perspective. The guys like a robot spouting out case law and never actually providing his own opinion on a subject. The only exception is when he tells you you're stupid for trying to look at things another way.

I'm all for multi-culturalism, but when I go to a major Canadian city, and I feel like I'm in a foreign country, I don't think that's fair.

I thought that's what China town was for?

I'm not to fond of the fact I cant read half of the signs in a Canadian city, I'm fully for the half of the sign must be in French or English, and then the other half can be in whatever, IMO a requirement of immigration should be knowledge of the language of English, or French ( Writing, reading)

Deb, I like where you're coming from and I understand how valuable a great community can be, and that you see this petition as a couple people just trying to keep their community awesome. Thats great.

The thing is, this kind of change cannot come from the top down. Instead of petitioning the City to do something about it, they should be showing these business owners the list of people that would be at their store if they had some english signage. Unless someone is being hurt, exploited, or anything else that would be an offence in civil or criminal court there is nothing the government should do.

This is a social matter, and if lasting change is the goal, it cannot be mandated. If that route has been tried, than might I suggest running for city council, for if it is an issue the majority of citizens care about they will make it known then. But right now it's looking like you are in the minority (not on this board, but in Richmond).

Did you read my posts? The ones that state that Steveston was a good percentage (majority) of Japanese people when I was growing up in a Japanese fishing village? No one had a problem and it has nothing, at all, to do with "caucasian"...that's just convenient for you to throw out there in order to ignore the facts. We had Japanese gardens (Garry Point has retained some of that feel), a Buddhist Church (that I frequented at times with friends) and Japanese Cultural Center that are still there/in use. The main grocer was run by a lovely Japanese couple ("Steve" & "Shirley") who sold candy, groceries and meat (lol). So don't tell me it's about "wanting to keep it caucasian". Bullocks (I think?). I never even knew that we were different in any way, because I was raised that way. We were neighbours. "Family". Our best friends next door were Japanese and, to this day, my Dad boasts the gardening tips that his best friend, Yuki, taught him. So to suggest this nonsense about wanting to "keep" anything other than a united sense of community is garbage and misinformed. Again - the convenient argument, but it doesn't make it true. It angers me...don't paint a picture that is based on a lack of information. I have never had a shred of racism in me, however, I'm learning quickly through this new thinking that doesn't embrace or welcome me and says "you don't have to come here". WTH is that? Don't tell me I have to support that kind of thinking, because I won't.

To further clarify - it's not people with another language as a "primary" language...it's the sole language. With no desire to change that. How about addressing that refusal to "bend" or leave behind the desire to stay with what they know?

You don't just turn "racist" overnight...it's either there or it's not. This hasn't been the climate in Richmond, so what's changed? Suddenly, overnight everyone lost all tolerance? Took a pill that made them start hating? No. The sense of "community" and "unity" is being threatened and, of coure, there will be a reaction to that. Join in. Welcome us, we'll welcome you and we'll continue to have the best place ever together. That's my message. I don't like hearing this "go someplace else" crap. It doesn't support this sense of community.

Going to back away for a bit, as the point is obviously lost on some here who have tunnel vision.

Did anyone see Global News at 6:00 pm? The two people presenting the petition are old and white haired.

Is this a generational thing? Are these folks living in the past when Richmond was almost 100% white? You can knock it all you want about this petition, but I think racism is involved. People don't come straight out and say they don't like Chinese people. But I beleived there is something more to this petition.

honestly I don´t see what is the big deal of demand have signs on your national language...

if you live in Canada speak English or French or at least make an effort to do this, if you live in Spain speak Spanish, if you live in Brazil speak Portuguese, if you live in Russia speak Russian and so go on...

people in Richmond aren´t complaining about chinese signs, they are complaining about "chinese only" signs. a diferent culture is good BUT you have to remember where you are. if the country where you are living speaks a diferent language from yours so speak the local language to be understood...

it´s not racism, it´s respect the local culture. the fact you just asked to have the right to understand what is on the signs. in your house you can use your language as much as you can...

BUT outside your house people may not understand your language, if you have the right to keep your culture with you while living on another country the people around have the right to understand what you´re saying...

for example. I really don´t like some asians living in Brazil for years and refuse to speak our language outside their homes with other people, they try make business in their language with us but off course they can´t. but it doesn´t make me racist, I just want that they (immigrants) respect our language and culture on the same way I respect their language and culture.

only when the police come they "sudelly" learn Portuguese fluently. because it´s a federal law here demands to get a Brazilian citizenship (if you´re from another country) that the person learn and speak our language. and there´s an exam (written and oral) for this...

my country, my language. respect our local culture. if you want live here at least make an effort to speak our local language...

Archived