346 replies to this topic

#331 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

In fact, a stranger has said "Speak English; this is Canada!" to me while I was waiting for a skytrain with my mom. I don't share the same attitude as that guy.

Sounds like you met my dad. is he well?

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#332 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Or my 79 year-old, white haired, British blooded mom.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#333 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Haha I don't know how he is now since that incident happened when I was still just a kid. :P

#334 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Haha I don't know how he is now since that incident happened when I was still just a kid. :P

so it was last week?

Spoiler

#335 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Nope, based upon personal experience. Nothing racist about it.

What was the point of the comment then?
Posted Image

#336 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

What was the point of the comment then?

I thought that was self-evident.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#337 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Iranians are not a race. They are also a culture. It's not semantics. It's fact. Most Iranians are great people. Just like most Iraquis, most Canadians, most Jamaicans and most Mexicans.

None of these are races, dude. They are cultures and all of them have some horrible, disagreeable, short-sighted, violent people.

Poor choice of words. Perhaps I should have said given the context. Perhaps you missed the photo of the elderly white lady in the post he was responding to.

As for the Iranian comment, I said that as resonse of your narrow definition of what is deemed racist (and Iranian is a culture?). If Iranian is not a race then how can the comments the two old Brits made towards the Iranian kids in Wet's story be racist? It is obviously inferred. It was a thinly veiled story of two old white people from Britain picking on two young children with a different skin colour to support a generalization. Come on man, sounds kind of racist don't it?

Posted Image

#338 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I thought that was self-evident.

I thought so too, that's why I called you on it.
Posted Image

#339 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

I thought so too, that's why I called you on it.

???

You "called" me on nothing as you seem to completely have misapprehended the post. As pointed out Brits are not a race.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#340 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Poor choice of words. Perhaps I should have said given the context. Perhaps you missed the photo of the elderly white lady in the post he was responding to.

As for the Iranian comment, I said that as resonse of your narrow definition of what is deemed racist (and Iranian is a culture?). If Iranian is not a race then how can the comments the two old Brits made towards the Iranian kids in Wet's story be racist? It is obviously inferred. It was a thinly veiled story of two old white people from Britain picking on two young children with a different skin colour to support a generalization. Come on man, sounds kind of racist don't it?

I totally understand your way of thinking, JJJJS. I just see it a little bit differently. I don't think either way of thinking is right or wrong, either, just different.

Humans are 99.9% identical genetically. The way most determine "race" is by the 0.1% of the genetic differences... skin and eye color, hair color, bone structure... physical differences. I'd say the "two old white people from Britain", and my mom, for that matter, are more elitist than "racist" and, IMO, they obviously were wrong for picking on the kids. The old folks were probably spewing out stuff about the kid's culture, rather than their appearance, although that may have surfaced, too.

This may sound kinda altruistic, but, I believe that there is only one race... The Human Race. If you believe in evolution, we all came from the same African ancestors. We usually get pissy with one another based on cultural pieces - morals, values, beliefs, food, clothing, politics, religion, laws.

I so wish that, as members of the Human Race, we could put aside the 0.1% genetic difference and embrace and celebrate one another's cultures.

Edit: I forgot to add... I piss my pants every time I see your sig. :lol: Why is that little guy in the Flame's jersey all alone, anyways? It's cultural! He likes the Flames (Beliefs / Values), the rest of the kids think they blow donkeys (different beliefs and values). Or maybe the little dude just freakin' reeks!

Edited by Hugemanskost, 24 March 2013 - 10:41 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#341 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

But maybe it doesn't matter what I say because it seems that I've already been pegged as a racist.

Do you mean a cultural traitor? Or an Asian "Uncle Tom"?

#342 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,107 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

I was on Skytrain one day and a young Chinese woman was being berated by an older woman with a heavy East European accent for no good reason I could see other than her race. This woman was using racial insults, etc. It was quite brutal. A Couple of passengers told her to shut up but she continued on.

The young woman finally had enough and in perfect English told the woman that she had been born and raised in British Columbia and that her ancestor had come to Canada to work on the railway over 140 years ago. She then asked the woman when she had come to Canada and recommended that she try English lessons to try to get rid of her terrible accent. This exchange was met with much mirth and and the young woman was given a round of applause as the other woman was heckled.

The older woman was red-faced and left the car at the next station and got on another car.

Great story. Fortunately I haven't had that opportunity yet.

Apologize for what? I was in conversation with my mom and didn't even say a word to him. He just heard us talking in Cantonese and decided to chime in.

It's more a joke about Canadians' overall apologetic nature.
Posted Image

#343 Kakanucks

Kakanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

as a canadian born chinese with parents from hong kong and can fluently write ,read and speak both cantonese and mandarin.....I actually like being around people of other cultures, but for some reason, majority of my friends are chinese asian.

I do find richmond has changed alot the past 10 years, including an increasing number of mainland chinese immigrants.
I haven't really seen these chinese only signs, but i do agree that service isn't that great, but even for us chinese people, like there have been cases where resturants are mainly mandarin, and my friends who don't speak it well have difficulty ordering and getting what they want.

I also think there is a slight problem with the way they separate themselves from others, but i also was guilty of speaking chinese during school and when with friends :unsure: , but it was more of a habit and being able to express myself freely without being misunderstood.

To be fair, i feel like chinese ppl are more "racist" towards our own "race" more, for example, if you have read the news in HK, alot of HK people really dislike mainland chinese people.

i dun think whats being said in the forum is racist....i think its more of a cultural difference problem.

BLAh.....not sure if what i said made any sense, just started to ramble, but just my personal experience and thoughts

SORRY for the long post, and we are all CANUCKS :P

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#344 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just heard about Rmd city council, ruling in FAVOR of the Chinese signs....... smh

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#345 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Just heard about Rmd city council, ruling in FAVOR of the Chinese signs....... smh

The decsion was almost one week ago as noted above in this thread:

At least Richmond City Council had the good sense to overwhelmingly reject this petition out of hand.

The city council in Richmond, B.C., has voted not to follow up on a petition, presented to them on Monday evening, asking for a bylaw that would ban "Chinese-only" signs in the city.

A group of Richmond residents collected 1,000 signatures supporting their position that the majority of signs in any one area of the city should have at least one of Canada's official languages — English or French.

Petitioner Anne Merdinyan spent months taking photos around Richmond to illustrate the prevalence of Chinese-only signs outside local businesses, on restaurant menus and in pamplets (sic) and inserts received in the mail. She presented the photos in a slideshow to council.

Merdinyan said Chinese-only signs are doing non-Chinese residents a disservice.

"We, the new visible minorities, are experiencing exclusion," she said to a city council chamber packed with Richmond residents.

"Maybe I want to do business with them," Merdinyan said. "Why I have to be an outsider? What's the reason?"

On Monday, Coun. Chak Au suggested the city investigate the issue further. However, every other councillor defeated the proposal, saying it's up to store owners to decide what kind of signage they want, and it's up to shoppers to decide if they want to go elsewhere.

Richmond resident Randolf Richardson was at the meeting and said he was happy with council's decision.

"There are also requirements in our charter that require certain government departments and the education system to provide English and French language support because those are official languages in that regard," he said.

"But that doesn't extend to imposing those languages on people, private citizens or private property. And what I see these shopkeepers doing is exercising their right to freedom of expression."

Coun. Derek Dang said non-English signs are actually quite rare — a recent count only found three Chinese business signs that had no English.

Dang said he's afraid the push against Chinese-only signs may be a case of veiled racism.

However, he said he thinks those who support mandatory English signs are in a slim minority.

"I don't believe that is a common theme throughout our city, and hopefully it's not around the Lower Mainland either," he said.

Dang also said Richmond's small business owners should be able to decide how they want to advertise, even if it hurts their businesses in the end.

"If they only want to cater to one group of people, [they] are actually doing a detriment to their own business, and I just think it's foolhardy, quite frankly," he said.

According to Statistics Canada, about half of Richmond's population speaks only English at home.
http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-richmond.html

Richmond Council ruled against becoming a Quebec style language bureaucracy. It is a private commercial matter and let the market determine the issue.

If one accepts the underlying principle of multiculturalism that no culture is superior to another, then people cannot be compelled to speak English in private dealings nor that English must be included on any commercial signage. You offer programs to encourage and assist people in becoming fluent in English - a carrot and not a stick.

The Richmond Council decision recognizes that the key features of our official policy of multiculturalism is accepting of differences while not putting one culture above another. And requiring English on a commercial sign in addition to another language is not accepting of differences, it is putting English in a superior position.

An eminently sensible and correct decision by Richmond City Council IMHO.

#346 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

THIS THREAD NEEDS A POLL.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#347 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

this thread needed to die, why'd you bring it back???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.