The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

I'm glad to hear that the City of Richmond made the wise decision not to wade into this political minefield, one that could affect the bottom line of their tax base.

Saying that, I am interested in the subject of the changing dynamics of the Chinese populations in the Vancouver area.

My aunt, born on the mainland but moved to Taiwan to escape the Cultural Revolution, lived most of her life in Chinatown proper surrounded by Sino-Canadians that came from all over, over a period of 100 years. She was always very explicitly detailed about the internal politics of the Chinese community and how newer immigrants from specific regions were very differently culturally than herself and her neighbours. In her view, many of the recent immigrants did not value the multiethnic character in the city. Tensions in amongst the Chinese community had steadily increased.

In her opinion, the immigrants from these regions intentionally set themselves apart from the existing Chinese community, and not in a friendly way.

I'd like to hear more from ethnic Chinese CDC users what their experiences of the internal politics are in the community.

Ovech Trick: thanks for that brilliant contribution to the thread. It revealed a dup account, so it was quite helpful.

I am already "over this" in that it really isn't a big deal....if nothing more, healthy discussion can never hurt...it paves the way for understanding and empathy. Which is the angle I'll come from in this.

I am sorry that people like OT miss the point and quickly categorize people....to NOT give any supporting ideas or thoughts is evidence of that.

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

kazin!, do you feel you are discriminated against for being someone who is ethnically Chinese who chooses to speak English?

In your opinion is integration, not assimilation, being held up more by existing cultures or immigrant ones?

What is 'the problem' as you put it?

kazin!, do you feel you are discriminated against for being someone who is ethnically Chinese who chooses to speak English?

In your opinion is integration, not assimilation, being held up more by existing cultures or immigrant ones?

Oh I definitely don't feel discriminated against. Like I said I can speak both common dialects of Chinese fluently.

I think as a Canadian who is an ethnic minority I'd like to see integration. I should be able to practice all aspects of my culture at will but I also must adhere to the culture of the land I live in...such as being able to communicate in one of the two OFFICIAL languages.

It goes further than just business. No, we shouldn't enforce culture...but at what point is it simply just too much? I feel uncomfortable in East Van and Richmond sometimes. I hear more Mandarin than I do English in government-funded public schools. That's not right. That's not Canada.

Ovech Trick: thanks for that brilliant contribution to the thread. It revealed a dup account, so it was quite helpful.

I am already "over this" in that it really isn't a big deal....if nothing more, healthy discussion can never hurt...it paves the way for understanding and empathy. Which is the angle I'll come from in this.

I am sorry that people like OT miss the point and quickly categorize people....to NOT give any supporting ideas or thoughts is evidence of that.

Archived