The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

Personally I have no problem with Chinese only signs on private property.

The last thing I agree with is anything that smacks of government intervention in this area. I have been completely opposed to what Quebec has done and IMHO this has the same sort of unneeded intervention. Let the free market determine the signage.

As Pierre Trudeau noted when Canada adopted an official multicultural policy "there is no official culture, nor does any ethnic group take precedence over any other."

The last thing I agree with is anything that smacks of government intervention in this area. I have been completely opposed to what Quebec has done and IMHO this has the same sort of unneeded intervention. Let the free market determine the signage.

As Pierre Trudeau noted when Canada adopted an official multicultural policy "there is no official culture, nor does any ethnic group take precedence over any other."

If it's on private property I think the owners can put whatever they want on their signs. We don't have any right to tell them what to put on their signs. Possession is nine tenths of the law, right?

If there were road signs in Mandarin then I would be up in arms about it.

And Deb, as awesome as your story was, no one forced you to choose that bank. I would put banks and restaurants in the same boat.

i think the public places absolutely need to have english and french, like it is pretty much.

as for other places like business, not too sure what that law should be. ban all foreign languages? I mean if they don't value your business, why go there? let market forces do the work.

when i lived in montreal, they had ridiculous sign laws, that the english letters need to a certain fraction of the french letters on store signs, unless it is a trademark. and this is restriction on an official language of canada! you can see how extreme this can go.

French is an official language here. Chinese is not.

Frankly, i'm surprised that Chinese-only signage in certain areas has been allowed to continue for this long.

Actually, i'm not. Cops in turbans? You should kiss the old white institution goodbye.

imho Chinese is more useful to us in BC than French. So make Chinese an official language. Then Punjabi while you're at it. Why not? Our immigration policy makes this inevitable.

Oh dear, this thread is making me laugh!

Hilarious that people will call down Quebec Nationalists for wanting language laws and police, but when it happens to them they are all for it. BC Nationalists!! haha :lol:

Is it not law here that businesses must be able to serve their clients in one of this country's official languages?

I mean when that broad wanted a mens haircut and was denied because it was a mens-only barbershop, some people went ballistic.

But when anyone goes into any of these Chinese-only shops, we just take complete non-service as par for the course and move on?

Maybe it's our care-free BC attitude. Puff-puff, give?

Archived