The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

I agree with this. It's exclusive.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which likely translated to "Deb's an ass". Whatever, it irked me.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence.

I fully support the shops, stores and business owners that have signsin other languages.

Europeans came to Canada and brought english.

The French came to Canada and brought French.

Now, Indians and Chinese are coming to Canada and bringing there languages, I for one am happy that the lower mainland is slowly losing it`s `white` culture.

Stealing cookies from a bank...That`ll teach them to embrace white culture. You really got them, Deb.

It wasn't stealing, as I made the manager fully aware of what I was doing. It was to make a point that if I can't read the signs in the bank, how can I participate? And the cookies were there for people to take, but it was to prove a point, so let's not be too dramatic here. It was Coast Capital and it was rather exclusive for them to have a display that many could not understand. It's not "white culture", it's inclusive culture...I have no problem with Chinese signs (at all), but I need to be able to read them also. Somehow this was missing the "multi" part

And sure, I could have done what some others were doing and ranted and raved, but I chose to use a demonstrative example that added a little humour. It's how I roll.

That is a business decision and not one for government.

I have a family member deathly allergic to many foods....so if we can't read the sign outside to identify what is being sold and we can't read the menu to decide what the ingredients are and people can't communicate with us, isn't that worthy of consideration? If we go in and try to order something without being clear, it could cost her her life. Many (most) of the restaurants near the city center/skytrain (she doesn't drive) are, in fact, Asian restaurants so if this tone is set (don't need to be able to read the signs), you're then ruling out most of the businesses in the area for her.

While you tell us to embrace and try the different things, we'd love to, and that's my point here. But this is very limiting. It then becomes a safety issue, not a private matter.

And the civil suit that is filed will then call on the Government to facilitate it, so don't you think being proactive is a better approach? To ensure people can clearly identify risks, etc. And if you put it back to the customer and say "well don't go there if you can't read the signs/menus", isn't that being exclusive? How does that support "multi" culturalism?

"Chinese Only"

That's what it says when there is no English.

As long as it doesn't say "No Whites", right?

How many of these businesses would lose clientele by serving non-Mandarin/Canton speakers? I've been the only non-Chinese person in restaurants that don't serve non-Chinese (unless accompanied by a Chinese person, as I was), and it's not pleasant. The feeling I got was that I was invading their space, and they were sure to let me know. I couldn't even pay after the meal, because they only take cash and don't have any English signs or speakers to let me know. I love Chinese food that's a little more authentic than "Sweet and Sour Pork", but I can't get it because I can't read the menu nor speak to any servers.

I know, I'm such a racist.

Amusing, there are stores that exclude patrons based on their lack of Mandarin/Canton proficiency, yet the racists are the folks who are being excluded. Some mental gymnastics there. So long as there is no regulation from the big bad government though.

I fully support the shops, stores and business owners that have signsin other languages.

Europeans came to Canada and brought english.

The French came to Canada and brought French.

Now, Indians and Chinese are coming to Canada and bringing there languages, I for one am happy that the lower mainland is slowly losing it`s `white` culture.

My biggest concern is how it is dividing people.. Pushing us away from each other. For me.. I have white friends, Chinese friends , Japanese friends, Iranian friends , afghan friends, black friends. They all want to be Canadian, speak English and they still love and embrace their backgrounds. Just because they decided to assimilate doesn't mean they have to let their culture go.

It actually quite saddens me when I'm in a group of people and can't even join the conversation because they all don't understand English.

I experience this at work as well with a group of filipinos they have alienated themselves from the rest of the workers. They huddle together and only talk with each other, they feel everyone else is out to get them . Even though they can speak English fine.. They decide to hide from everyone else.

The French Quebecers eat off the plate of the rest of Canada and force everyone else to dance to their tune in so many ways, so for them to push their language laws and other forms of discrimination is crossing the line. Its not comparable to the situation with ethnic colonists in the Lower Mainland.

It only pisses me off when official language speaking citizens are excluded on the basis of not being of the culture whether it be an item on a menu or a sale on an item or service. These companies should be shut down for their disrespect of our society

It is pretty funny that I can come across more signs that are in English in freaking China than I do in Richmond. I really find it pretty pathetic that Richmond is probably the only place in North America which has signs predominantly in mandarin/cantonese. English is the universal language and there is no excuse to not have English included in the signs. It doesn't matter if Richmond is predominantly Chinese, when you are living in Canada. When you have signs only in your language in this city, it will exclude not only the caucasian Canadians, but also Indo-Canadian, Filipinos, Persians, Koreans etc. I have traveled in many foreign countries where English wasn't the official language, yet they had universal symbols and/or ENGLISH in some of their signs. There should be a rule in BC that whatever language you put on a sign be translated into English. This isn't about multiculturalism, this is about having a viable form of communication that everyone in this province can understand.

My biggest concern is how it is dividing people.. Pushing us away from each other. For me.. I have white friends, Chinese friends , Japanese friends, Iranian friends , afghan friends, black friends. They all want to be Canadian, speak English and they still love and embrace their backgrounds. Just because they decided to assimilate doesn't mean they have to let their culture go.

It actually quite saddens me when I'm in a group of people and can't even join the conversation because they all don't understand English.

I experience this at work as well with a group of filipinos they have alienated themselves from the rest of the workers. They huddle together and only talk with each other, they feel everyone else is out to get them . Even though they can speak English fine.. They decide to hide from everyone else.

Funny thing is everyone outside of Canada wants to learn English yet the people that immigrate from China to Richmond could care less. Immigration policy in Canada should have a requirement for anyone immigrating here to learn one of the official languages or attend mandatory ESL classes. Some of my family members in Iran have learned the English language yet they have never planned to move out of their country. This is how significant the English language is.

Personally I have no problem with Chinese only signs on private property.

The last thing I agree with is anything that smacks of government intervention in this area. I have been completely opposed to what Quebec has done and IMHO this has the same sort of unneeded intervention. Let the free market determine the signage.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. (I was starting to wonder after reading the posts in this thread)

These businesses are making a choice to cater to a particular ethnic group, as is their right. If you have a problem with it, then voice your displeasure by not patronizing, not by encouraging unnecessary government intervention.

I agree with this. It's exclusive.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which likely translated to "Deb's an ass". Whatever, it irked me.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence.

Archived