346 replies to this topic

#211 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

Don't worry Deb, the KKK and neo-Nazis are on there way to help you defend your euro-centeric vision of white Canadian culture.

EDIT - misspelling

Edited by Ovech Trick, 20 March 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#212 Imuzi

Imuzi

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Don't worry Deb, the KKK and neo-Nazis are on there way to help you defend your euro-centeric vision of white Canadian culture.

EDIT - misspelling

From just wanting English on cards to being a member of the KKK....

sureee

Edited by Imuzi, 20 March 2013 - 09:42 AM.

NaturalHotAfricanporcupine.gif

#213 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

When I first read abou this I thought these businesses should have to have English on them if it is even just in smaller letters underneath but now I am thinking screw it just let them lose buisiness from all non-chinese customers because I am sure I wont be going to those places anyways

As long as they prominently display their address good enough let them be (highly ironic) xenophobes.

#214 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

EDIT - misspelling

Perhaps we just need a cultural revolution so that we can make a great leap forward into a greater understanding of each others way of life.

#215 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,906 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Don't worry Deb, the KKK and neo-Nazis are on there way to help you defend your euro-centeric vision of  white Canadian culture.

EDIT - misspelling

I don't support forcing businesses to include languages they do want on their signage, but this is just silly...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#216 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Business owners shouldn't be forced to have English on their signs. If they are losing out on potential customers because of their Chinese only signs, it is their loss.
Posted Image

#217 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Business owners shouldn't be forced to have English on their signs. If they are losing out on potential customers because of their Chinese only signs, it is their loss.

That is basically what Richmond Council decided to do on Monday. No government intervention. It is up to the buiness what they put on the signs.

#218 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

EDIT - misspelling

You are way off base here, Ovech Trick.

I'm not going to claim to know Deb well, but, from what I read of her posts, and a few PM's, she is totally a people-first person. She seems to care for all people equally. She also seems to be a patriotic Canadian who feels that English should be displayed on signs in Canada. So be it. That's her opinion.

To suggest that she is affiliated with Neo-Nazis or KKK members, or thinks as they do, is a disrespectful personal jab.

PS - I know you don't need defending, Deb, but I felt I had to say something, as did others. That says a lot about you. ::D

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#219 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

That is basically what Richmond Council decided to do on Monday. No government intervention. It is up to the buiness what they put on the signs.

IMHO that is the correct decision.

The last thing needed are the bureaucratic language police municipally or provincially.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#220 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

EDIT - misspelling

Stupid and ridiculous. I disagree with Deb on this issue, but it's asinine to call her a KKK member and a neo-nazi.

#221 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

EDIT - misspelling

Posted Image

#222 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

EDIT - misspelling

Seriously?!

"Misspelling" was not your only problem with this post.

#223 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I just want pictures on food menus in ethnic restaurants

#224 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

I just want pictures on food menus in ethnic restaurants

Then put in your request with the restaurant.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#225 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Stupid and ridiculous. I disagree with Deb on this issue, but it's asinine to call her a KKK member and a neo-nazi.

Pretty sure that's not what he did.

#226 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Pretty sure that's not what he did.

Maybe not directly, but, it's insinuated.

He called Deb's views on "white Canada" "Euro-centric" and then associated the KKK and Neo-Nazis with the comment. Subtle, but, noticeable, nonetheless.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#227 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Maybe not directly, but, it's insinuated.

He called Deb's views on "white Canada" "Euro-centric" and then associated the KKK and Neo-Nazis with the comment. Subtle, but, noticeable, nonetheless.

Stupid, yes. Called her a 'member of the kkk', no.

#228 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm glad to hear that the City of Richmond made the wise decision not to wade into this political minefield, one that could affect the bottom line of their tax base.

Saying that, I am interested in the subject of the changing dynamics of the Chinese populations in the Vancouver area.

My aunt, born on the mainland but moved to Taiwan to escape the Cultural Revolution, lived most of her life in Chinatown proper surrounded by Sino-Canadians that came from all over, over a period of 100 years. She was always very explicitly detailed about the internal politics of the Chinese community and how newer immigrants from specific regions were very differently culturally than herself and her neighbours. In her view, many of the recent immigrants did not value the multiethnic character in the city. Tensions in amongst the Chinese community had steadily increased.

In her opinion, the immigrants from these regions intentionally set themselves apart from the existing Chinese community, and not in a friendly way.

I'd like to hear more from ethnic Chinese CDC users what their experiences of the internal politics are in the community.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#229 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,377 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Ovech Trick: thanks for that brilliant contribution to the thread. It revealed a dup account, so it was quite helpful.

I am already "over this" in that it really isn't a big deal....if nothing more, healthy discussion can never hurt...it paves the way for understanding and empathy. Which is the angle I'll come from in this.

I am sorry that people like OT miss the point and quickly categorize people....to NOT give any supporting ideas or thoughts is evidence of that.

Posted Image

#230 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

Edited by kazin!, 20 March 2013 - 01:06 PM.

Posted Image

#231 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

It goes further than just business. No, we shouldn't enforce culture...but at what point is it simply just too much? I feel uncomfortable in East Van and Richmond sometimes. I hear more Mandarin than I do English in government-funded public schools. That's not right. That's not Canada.
Posted Image

#232 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

EDIT - misspelling

Don't forget she also hates rich people.

Seems like she is a fan of poor white trash.

#233 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm a 1st generation Canadian-born Chinese. I have perfect English and I'd say fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. To give you all some perspective I grew up in White Rock and went to UBC. I now work in the Richmond School District. The influx of Chinese immigrants is absolutely staggering. Never mind Richmond, White Rock is even becoming more and more Chinese. This is going to be an even bigger problem in the next 20 years. Look at the public schools in Richmond. I can walk into a classroom and see 1 Caucasian child. There are many classrooms that are 100% mainland Chinese. I have to say "English at school please" probably 5 times in one day. Some kids don't speak a lick of English. This is almost like 1997 again, but with a completely new player in the mainland Chinese, who if you know anything about the types of Chinese, are a whole different game.

Edit: Guess I should give my opinion on the topic...

I think all signs should have English on them. I'm sick of seeing neighbourhoods (Richmond, Victoria Dr. in East Vancouver, parts of Burnaby) being exclusively Chinese and catering exclusively to such. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in Canada. Sometimes when I leave White Rock it's like I hopped in a portal to Asia. Don't get me started on UBC...

Why the hating on the UBC Chinese? Someone had to pay for all that free beer I drank!

#234 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

kazin!, do you feel you are discriminated against for being someone who is ethnically Chinese who chooses to speak English?

In your opinion is integration, not assimilation, being held up more by existing cultures or immigrant ones?

What is 'the problem' as you put it?

kazin!, do you feel you are discriminated against for being someone who is ethnically Chinese who chooses to speak English?

In your opinion is integration, not assimilation, being held up more by existing cultures or immigrant ones?

Edited by theminister, 20 March 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#235 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Why the hating on the UBC Chinese? Someone had to pay for all that free beer I drank!

They're taking all my spots in professional schools ;)
Posted Image

#236 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Oh I definitely don't feel discriminated against. Like I said I can speak both common dialects of Chinese fluently. And in fact, not to pump my own tires too much, but over the years, many Chinese have complimented me on my ability to communicate with so many types of people.

I think as a Canadian who is an ethnic minority I'd like to see integration. I should be able to practice all aspects of my culture at will but I also must adhere to the culture of the land I live in...such as being able to communicate in one of the two OFFICIAL languages.

Edited by kazin!, 20 March 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image

#237 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oh I definitely don't feel discriminated against. Like I said I can speak both common dialects of Chinese fluently.

I think as a Canadian who is an ethnic minority I'd like to see integration. I should be able to practice all aspects of my culture at will but I also must adhere to the culture of the land I live in...such as being able to communicate in one of the two OFFICIAL languages.

You said you see there being 'an even bigger problem in the next 20 years.'

What are the potential problems as you see them?

#238 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

It goes further than just business. No, we shouldn't enforce culture...but at what point is it simply just too much? I feel uncomfortable in East Van and Richmond sometimes. I hear more Mandarin than I do English in government-funded public schools. That's not right. That's not Canada.

Actually it is Canada - if you accept that we are a multicultural country with no official culture and do not place one culture above another.We do force people to speak English or French outside of very limited circumstances. It seems many people misunderstand what it means to have English as an official language.

Per the Canadian Multiculturalism Act

AND WHEREAS the Constitution of Canada and the Official Languages Act provide that English and French are the official languages of Canada and neither abrogates nor derogates from any rights or privileges acquired or enjoyed with respect to any other language;

3. (1) It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Government of Canada to

(i) preserve and enhance the use of languages other than English and French...

#239 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ovech Trick: thanks for that brilliant contribution to the thread. It revealed a dup account, so it was quite helpful.

I am already "over this" in that it really isn't a big deal....if nothing more, healthy discussion can never hurt...it paves the way for understanding and empathy. Which is the angle I'll come from in this.

I am sorry that people like OT miss the point and quickly categorize people....to NOT give any supporting ideas or thoughts is evidence of that.

Deb, did you make your concerns known to the branch manager and/or the bank's regional management?

#240 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

You said you see there being 'an even bigger problem in the next 20 years.'

What are the potential problems as you see them?

More and more Chinese. Less and less English. More and more "me first" attitude. Less and less polite Canadian culture.

The first time I left North America was in 2005. I held a door open for someone in China and they stared at me as they whisked into the building. I've unfortunately experienced the same thing a few times in the past few years in Canada.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.