The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

Deb, we have a very similar experience as I too was raised in Steveston. Everything you say is entirely accurate.

The Japanese locals, most of whom's first gens were monolingual, we're culturally separated for a generation as they were old Japan. Their children, however, carved out a unique cultural identity that they are and should be proud of. Between they and other Stevestonites was nothing but mutual respect and admiration, not fear and bigotry.

My hope, is that same dynamic replicates itself under these somewhat different circumstances.

I'll be damned if I sit by passively, silence my own voice and 'let the market decide.'

We're better than that and my expectations are greater than that.

The multiculturalism expert said that living in an increasingly global world means
learning to appreciate and speak other languages
, rather than setting one above the other.

Read your own quote and tell me, again, why that doesn't apply to Chinese people?

And to those mentioning what these women look like...so how far off "racism" is stereotyping and judging people on their appearance without knowing anything about them? Before you board the PC bus, check your baggage?

Anyhow, was pulled in here by a report but after 3 minutes, I see some are still simply regurgitating the same garbage without addressing ANY of the valid points being presented. Well done. No one's "setting their hair on fire" so save the dramatics...it doesn't help your case, it just makes it look desperate. It's called discussion and not everyone in this life will share your opinion. But you don't need to throw that stuff in for emphasis. You're double talking here, Don...is it a minor issue and we're silly or is it worthy of you sticking around to dig your heels in as you are?

Food for thought...

I say that there is no such thing as "race". Genetically, homo sapiens sapiens are 99.9% identical. The only significant genetic differences we have as humans are the ones we can see... skin, hair and eye color, skull and eye shape, etc. Those of us who dislike / "hate" people based on these physical differences are, well... interesting. We are all members of the human race who all descended from early Africans, if you believe in evolution.

Frequently, our disdain for people different than ourselves is based upon culture, not "race". You know... Our languages... The foods and beverages we consume... The higher beings we worship... The clothes we wear... Our politicking... Our beliefs and values...

This whole sign argument is cultural, not racial, in my opinion. If one wishes to put a certain language on a sign of a building that they, own, rent or lease, so be it, as long as it's within the law. People are allowed to target the clients that they wish to patronize their shops. I don't understand why a shopkeep would want to do this, but, that's not for me to judge.

Canada is a multicultural country, not a "melting pot" like the States. To each their own, I say. To each their own.

Different issues.

Your construct assumes those countries are equivalent to Canada... and they are not on any number of levels.

Canada is not required to operate like any other country, including the US of A and other countries are not required to follow Canada's lead.

Sorry. No breaks given to those who thinly mask their racism through the ol' "get with the white culture or get back on your boat" language. When you want to stop using that pathetic "our" word, let me know.

For those that refuse to learn "your" language and assimilate into "your" culture, they're not receiving basic Canadian rights such as healthcare (even though we pay in a lump sum for it), voting rights, or job hiring priorities. That's the tradeoff, but hey...less people to fight over jobs, doctor's office queues, and less ethnic vote targeting schemes.

Chinese signs in Richmond to stay after council rejects proposed English bylaw

Richmond City Council decided Monday they don’t want to be the language police, after a 1,000-strong petition urging them to mandate the use of English or French on signage in the city was essentially struck down at City Hall.

Long-time Richmond residents Kerry Starchuk and Ann Merdinyan presented the petition to council in the hopes a bylaw would be created, requiring one of Canada’s official languages on omnipresent Chinese-language signage seen on businesses, bus stops and leaflets around in the city.

“Harmony is built on understanding. Communication is key,” said Merdinyan, in a short presentation heard by a standing-room only crowd in the council chambers.

“We must become a community inclusive to all people,” she said.

The petition included signatures from 800 Richmond residents, collected in the spring of 2012.

Starchuk and Merdinyan suggested new business adopt the proposed bylaw immediately, while established businesses be given two to three years to conform.

Richmond Mayor Malcolm Brodie was the first to say he doesn’t want city staffers to become the language police, and appeared irked at the fact Councillor Chak Au thought the decision to receive the petition as reviewable information was not enough.

“There’s some rich information here we can differentiate,” said Au.

“If we can have a platform to look at the information more carefully and create a process ... through meaningful discussion is a better approach,” said Au.

Au suggested consultations be made with city merchants, the Chinese community and groups against signage unreadable to about half of the cities population.

In Richmond, nearly 60 per cent of residents reported a non-official language as their mother tongue in 2011.

Just about 37 per cent reported English-only as their mother tongue.

“Personally, I have no problem for signage to be bilingual,” said Au.

No other councillor, nor Mayor Brodie, seconded his motion.

Councillor Evelina Halsey-Brandt spoke on the issue, saying every business in the city has the right to attract customers of their choice.

“If they don’t want me because they haven’t informed me on the business they offer, I’ll talk with my wallet,” said Halsey-Brandt, herself once a landed immigrant of Slavic descent who couldn’t speak English upon arrival.

“I’ve never felt excluded,” she said.

Merdinyan and Starchuk disagree.

“We feel excluded from a certain part of the city,” said Merdinyan, who tabled petitions to the federal, provincial and municipal governments.

“We had hoped to be heard,” she said, citing Richmond’s Aberdeen Shopping Centre as an example of a commercial centre with a signage policy in place.

Aberdeen’s policy states its retailers must use at least 70 per cent English and French in their signage, while the remaining 30 per cent can be of any language.

Richmond resident Randolf Richardson, 40, was against the petition, believing this is an issue of freedom of expression.

“The problem I have is when we force people to express themselves in some way,” Richardson said.

“I see traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese, I see some Russian signage. If you go to Surrey ... you’ll certainly see signage in languages that come from India.”

Merdinyan says she doesn’t expect council to go further with the issue, and is not sure where to go from here herself.

“Home, for tea,” she said, in her British accent.

It has nothing to with the market place.

Change is already coming to 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Chinese Canadians, the same way it has happened with the Japanese Canadians. It comes in the form of mixed marriages between Caucasian and Chinese people. You seen it, so many Caucasian men with Asian girlfriends and wives.

So why let government decide policy. Assimulaion is already happening.

So big deal we have a few stores with Chinese only signs.

Setting your hair on fire over such a minor issue is riduculous.

Referring to the above Province article, read the last sentence, Merdinyan, "Home for Tea", in her British accent.

The nerve of that foreign born person telling people what language a sign can have. Not even born here, and complaining about other new comers.

Have a read of what the lads in Pink Floyd had to say in 1973. Kinda poignant, no?

Us And Them - Pink Floyd

Us and them

And after all we're only ordinary men.

Me and you.

God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.

'Forward' he cried from the rear

And the front rank died.

And the general sat and the lines on the map

Moved from side to side.

Black and blue

And who knows which is which and who is who.

Up and down.

But in the end it's only round and round.

Haven't you heard it's a battle of words

The poster bearer cried.

Listen son, said the man with the gun

There's room for you inside.

"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,

Sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off

Lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners

Don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Down and out

It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.

With, without.

And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?

Out of the way, it's a busy day

I've got things on my mind.

For the want of the price of tea and a slice

The old man died.

So many more important issues to deal with than signs and a bunch of old, white-haired, Brit Ex-patriots whining because another immigrant group has come to prominence in "British North America". One half of one percent of Richmond's population (200 000ish) signed the sign petition. Pretty insignificant, if you ask me. Safety is the only real concern regarding signs as it might be difficult to identify location in the event of an accident.

On another note, I wonder what the Musqueam Nation thought in the 1860's when Richmond's original foreign settlers put up their first signs, at Steveston, in English?

Have a read of what the lads in Pink Floyd had to say in 1973. Kinda poignant, no?

Us And Them - Pink Floyd

Us and them

And after all we're only ordinary men.

Me and you.

God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.

'Forward' he cried from the rear

And the front rank died.

And the general sat and the lines on the map

Moved from side to side.

Black and blue

And who knows which is which and who is who.

Up and down.

But in the end it's only round and round.

Haven't you heard it's a battle of words

The poster bearer cried.

Listen son, said the man with the gun

There's room for you inside.

"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,

Sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off

Lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners

Don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Down and out

It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.

With, without.

And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?

Out of the way, it's a busy day

I've got things on my mind.

For the want of the price of tea and a slice

The old man died.

So many more important issues to deal with than signs and a bunch of old, white-haired, Brit Ex-patriots whining because another immigrant group has come to prominence in "British North America". One half of one percent of Richmond's population (200 000ish) signed the sign petition. Pretty insignificant, if you ask me. Safety is the only real concern regarding signs as it might be difficult to identify location in the event of an accident.

On another note, I wonder what the Musqueam Nation thought in the 1860's when Richmond's original foreign settlers put up their first signs, at Steveston, in English?

I don't understand what is wrong with the expecation that signs be in our national languages? Even on private property. That being said, I think people can put up a sign in whatever language they want, however if you are soliciting some type of business, use your native language AND either english or French.

Archived