The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Lain Talk

Joel Heyman

Can he play wing as well? Having to C's on the fourth would be ideal IMO whether that's Lappy, a UFA, Gaunce etc... Him with Weise or Sestito and one of those options as C could be good if he's ready.

Seeing as his strengths are faceoffs and defensive coverage down - low... wouldn't make sense to have him as a winger.

Seeing as his strengths are faceoffs and defensive coverage down - low... wouldn't make sense to have him as a winger.

My thinking is that he could share faceoff duty with whomever els else is C'ing the 4th. Having two good faceoff guys on the 4th is hardly a bad idea IMO.

I hope that Lain like all of our prospects get a real look and a real opportunity to play. The vetrans should be looking over their shoulders and be afraid. It's a new sherrif in town and Torterrela doesn't owe anyone for past performance. Show me what you have to bring and if it helps us win you will play!!!

This. If he could pack on about 10-15 lbs without losing a step in speed he could become a very dangerous checker. His feet move ridiculously fast for the length of his legs and if he could get that momentum put into a check with weight behind it he'd wreck people.

10-15 lbs lol when this guy is mature he will be 6'6" 260+ , look at Kassian he will still put on 10-20lbs by the time he if filled out.. this lain kid will be a giant.

i just hope he can keep up and play well while maturing .would be awesome if something clicks and all of a sudden he has 3rd line skills...

I hope that Lain like all of our prospects get a real look and a real opportunity to play. The vetrans should be looking over their shoulders and be afraid. It's a new sherrif in town and Torterrela doesn't owe anyone for past performance. Show me what you have to bring and if it helps us win you will play!!!

Admittedly, I don't know quite enough about Lain, but would it be fair to say he could be a Brian Boyle-type at best? Maybe that's too high a ceiling for him. In any case, if memory serves, Tortorella really relied on Boyle on that checking line in New York. If Lain puts on some extra weight, which he has stated he wants to do, he'll even be built like Boyle. Maybe there's something there... maybe not. We'll have to see.

Anyone know why Lain isn't at prospects camp? He hasn't played enough pro games to be excluded... so the only reasons I can think of are because of his age/contract status.

i came to this topic to ask the exact same thing lol

Curious indeed...

I was hoping he and brad Richardson would battle for this spot. Or like a previous poster suggested. Have them both on the line to share face off duty. Or like I've been thinking before. Just have one cheat to win the face off, if he gets kicked out, no worries they never call the penalty so the second should be able to cheat and win no problems

Anyway a sestito lain Richardson line doesn't seem to be much better (couldnt be much worse)

Than wiese ebbett sestito

Anyone know why Lain isn't at prospects camp? He hasn't played enough pro games to be excluded... so the only reasons I can think of are because of his age/contract status.

Curious indeed...

I was hoping he and brad Richardson would battle for this spot. Or like a previous poster suggested. Have them both on the line to share face off duty. Or like I've been thinking before. Just have one cheat to win the face off, if he gets kicked out, no worries they never call the penalty so the second should be able to cheat and win no problems

Anyway a sestito lain Richardson line doesn't seem to be much better (couldnt be much worse)

He's older, it's a kid thing. He's likely been to a few of these. It's just a camp to give kids a taste and show them the kind of hard work its going to take. He's going to be at Canucks camp.

Soooo what does this guy bring to the table that makes him NHL ready?

I'm all for giving the youngs guys a chance....but I'm unsure why some people think he'll be our 4th line Centre. His stats aren't anything special.

If someone could give me a reason for him potentially cracking the roster, that'd be great.

(Not trying to be negative, I just wanna know what he brings to the table)

I'm all for giving the youngs guys a chance....but I'm unsure why some people think he'll be our 4th line Centre. His stats aren't anything special.

If someone could give me a reason for him potentially cracking the roster, that'd be great.

He's 6'6" and 230 pounds and can skate very well.

He also prides himself on his faceoff and defensive abilities.

The idea is that he's a young Brian Boyle with limited offensive skills.

Have to think its between him and Santorelli for the 4C spot with Lappy gone, either Schroeder or Gaunce for 3C, possible Santorelli gets a chance at 3C too.

Dont forget about Mallet for the 4C spot. Mallet has all the tools in his game to play as a good 4C now and is better all around then Lain right now. Mallet is better offensivelly and a better fighter/hitter.

I would like to see Archbald & Mallet on the canucks 4th line over Weise & Sestito. Archbald-Mallet-Richardson

MG keeps saying he's probably our most NHL-ready prospect for some reason. Good size, good defence, good skater but not much offence which doesn't matter if he keeps his line in check defensively. Could be a great 4th line center with a lineup like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Hansen - Richardson - Jensen (Danes together, mix of youth, Cup-winning experience)

Higgins - Lain - Santorelli (veteran Higgins can mentor Lain, and Santorelli is great at faceoffs for backup)

Weise

Which stats are you looking at? His goals and assists? That's not what's going to impress you about him, it'll be his size, skating for a man of that size and his defensive ability. He'll win a faceoffs in our zone or make a big defensive play to create a turnover. He can also forecheck well and use his body to make a big hit. The added bonus is if his line does end up controlling the puck in the other team's end, he's quite capable in front of the net tipping in shots or banging in rebounds.

The only question is, will he do that better than the other options we have? That will become more apparent at camp, and I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Dont forget about Mallet for the 4C spot. Mallet has all the tools in his game to play as a good 4C now and is better all around then Lain right now. Mallet is better offensivelly and a better fighter/hitter.

I would like to see Archbald & Mallet on the canucks 4th line over Weise & Sestito. Archbald-Mallet-Richardson

That's highly debatable. Mallet could be good but isn't there yet. He didn't put up much offence in the AHL, but did ok in the ECHL. He can fight and hit, and does play with energy, but Lain's ability in the faceoff dot, size and the fact he's already defensively responsible against men (was trusted almost immediately with important defensive faceoffs in Chicago) puts him well ahead of Mallet.

Prototypical 4C.

He's big, good defensively, hits, skates well for a guy that size and wins faceoffs. All that's left to find out is whether he's developed enough to translate those things to the next level. If he hasn't, he'll be in Utiica. If he has, he could very well be our 4C.

Curious indeed...

Richardson will be in the lineup, no question about it. Hard to see a rookie knocking him out of the lineup. As for Lain, it can't be that hard to make an impact with that kind of size can it? Lol

Archived