The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks in on 3 more college UFAs

We have to be getting close to our 50 contract limit. We only have, what, 3 sliding contracts?

I think this puts us at 51 contracts - 3 sliding = 48, not leaving us much wiggle room until the offseason.

Canucks draft skill players like Schroeder, Hodgson

OMG CANUCKS NEED MORE GRIT WE'RE SO SOFT AND SMALL

Canucks sign tough players like Lain, trade for players like Kassian

OMG CANUCKS NEED MORE SKILL EVERYONE HAS HANDS OF STONE

I don't understand CDC, like, ever.

Dekeyser isn't coming to Van.

He's going to Detroit.

And Detroit can give him playing time too.

Lain's not going to be a top 6 player. Bottom 6 for sure. Most likely a fourth line centre. If he ends up being a third line player, that's fantastic, though, I don't see it happening.

Neither was Chara when he first broke into the NHL with the Islanders...he didn't start playing physical until 3-4 seasons into his NHL career.

The only big, talented guys that I can recall stepping into the NHL and being a dominant physical force immediately are Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger and to some degree Luc Phaneuf. As we all know, love them of hate them, Stevens and Pronger were very special players.

Which is exactly what makes it impressive.

You don't think any skilled goal scored in the NHL doesn't need a little luck? Even some of the best goals ever needed some help from the defenders and the goalie.

There's no way we let Sauve walk. He hasn't lived up to his 2nd round selection but he's far from a write off.

Guys like Rai, Tochkin, Honzik, Anthony, Schneider, Desbiens, Mullen, and Joslin will all be taken off the books before Sauve.

it's why I differentiate between beautiful skilled goals and fun-to-watch fluky goals. for example, if i remember correctly, in 2010 the "goal of the year" competition came down to the sedins' goal against calgary, and a goal where stamkos batted in his own rebound out of mid-air while falling. you're a smart enough guy to figure out how i'd classify each of those goals, and needless to say i think the right one won.

Closest NHL comparable is probably Tyler Myers. Most people will immediately think Chara, but Sustr apparently doesn't play with much of an edge. He uses his positioning and hockey sense rather than his body.

Hopefully that can change once he packs on some more pounds. He seems a little light fr 6'8" right now.

Archived