The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks in on 3 more college UFAs

Canucks draft skill players like Schroeder, Hodgson

OMG CANUCKS NEED MORE GRIT WE'RE SO SOFT AND SMALL

Canucks sign tough players like Lain, trade for players like Kassian

OMG CANUCKS NEED MORE SKILL EVERYONE HAS HANDS OF STONE

I don't understand CDC, like, ever.

Sauve has been passed by Polasek, Andersson, Connauton and Tanev in the depth chart; he will be passed by Corrado. With Price and Tommernes as being probably signed (as they will lose their rights) - that puts Sauve against ALL those players for depth positions behind Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler (PLUS the possibility of Sustr and Dekayser)

Sauve is doing much better in Kalamazoo, and getting his confidence back. I can see him having a bounce back year in Chicago next season, but he'll never be more than a 5/6 pairing. Sustr has far more potential than any of the guys you mentioned mainly due to his size and reach. Guys like Polasek, Andersson, Price, and Tommernes come along every year. 6'8 guys that can skate and score do not.

Like I said, even a goal like that needs luck in the form of the defenders not getting a stick on the puck, and the goalie biting on the play.

The Sedins don't score a goal like that 9 times out of 10 in practice, let alone in a game situation. So I really don't see the difference.

You act like the only difference between a skilled goal and a lucky goal is the manner in which it's scored. If that were true, you could replace Stamkos with any player in that situation and they should score. But I think we both know that's not true.

Lucky or not, highlight reel goals like all 3 of these need a highly skilled player involved.

Sauve has been passed by Polasek, Andersson, Connauton and Tanev in the depth chart; he will be passed by Corrado. With Price and Tommernes as being probably signed (as they will lose their rights) - that puts Sauve against ALL those players for depth positions behind Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler (PLUS the possibility of Sustr and Dekayser)

I don't believe that he has been passed by Polasek and Connuaton. I think they just want him to get his confidence back in the ECHL after struggling with an injury early on. And he's now starting to develop his offensive game, which scouts had always hoped would happen.

Connauton hasn't really made any progress this year. From the games I've watched, his defensive game is still lacking, and may keep him from ever being a full time NHLer. And now his offensive game seems to be drying up too.

Polasek more or less brings what Sauve brings, except Sauve is a much smoother skater, and is better in his own end.

With the lack of depth we have for D-prospects, there's no way we let go of one we drafted only 4 years ago. Alot of these guys are not gonna pan out, so the more we have, the higher the odds are that we have at least one stud in the group.

As a generalized statement we have skilled guys on D.

With all that skill we still lack any strong puck rushing defender with speed and puck handling skills. (Our skill is making the first pass, but teams are stacking the neutral zone because they know the pass is coming...).Someone who can break pressure blowing past a fore-check; busting into the offensive zone on the power play. (I hate relying on that stupid srop back pass).

I suppose its too much to expect that guy as a college free agent?

We have skilled guys, what we need is role players. This guy will fill a role for us in the near future.

And he does have skill. His skill is roughing up guys, winning faceoffs, and playing sound defensive hockey.

Archived