The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks in on 3 more college UFAs

Pretty much what he said. Sustr is more unique because of his 6'8 frame.

But to be perfectly honest, Dekeyser or Taker, if they were on our prospect pool right now, they will be behind, Price Connauton and Mcnally. They are just free prospects, and I will be quite surprised if any of these 2 prospects make the NHL. Makes me appreciate the potential we have our other prospects.

As a generalized statement we have skilled guys on D.

With all that skill we still lack any strong puck rushing defender with speed and puck handling skills. (Our skill is making the first pass, but teams are stacking the neutral zone because they know the pass is coming...).Someone who can break pressure blowing past a fore-check; busting into the offensive zone on the power play. (I hate relying on that stupid srop back pass).

I suppose its too much to expect that guy as a college free agent?

http://canucksarmy.c...ntoine-laganire

MCKENZIE: CANUCKS SCOUTING YALE'S ANTOINE LAGANIÈRE

Thomas Drance

February 05 2013 12:37PM

doc50de80d50dc0c288456227.jpg

Photo Credit: Mara Lavitt/New Haven Register

Over the weekend Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman caused quite the stir by attending a Washington Capitals home game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Super Bowl Sunday. The ensuing speculation led Gillis to ultimately apologize to to Washington Capital's General Manager McPhee (or if you prefer: GMMG apologized to GMGM), and McPhee ultimately complimented Gillis' class. I find all of that exceptionally boring.

More interesting, is the report from TSN's Bob McKenzie who appeared on the Team 1040 on Monday afternoon and said that the Canucks management team spent some of their time on the East Coast scouting Yale Bulldogs forward Antoine Laganière.

Read on past the jump.

Obviously I don't watch much College Hockey (I've manage to stream a small handful of Wisconsin Badger games this season) so I'm completely unfamiliar with Antoine Laganière's game. But his name isn't entirely unfamiliar to me, since he attended Vancouver's Development camp way back in the summer of 2011. Now, he also attended development camps hosted by both the Penguins and Oilers organizations, so it's not like his participation in a Canucks hosted camp indicates that the Canucks have some sort of "inside track" on signing him or anything, but he's obviously been on Vancouver's radar for a while.

Following Laganière's busy summer in 2011, he took off as an NCAA skater and has morphed into a point-per game threat for the Yale Bulldogs. He's also six foot four and weighs two-hundred and change, attributes which have appealed to the Canucks (and every other NHL team for that matter) during recent entry drafts.

It's not a perfect tool by any means, but I mocked up Laganière's NHL and NHLE production over the past couple of seasons just to give us a guideline of where he's at production wise. (Read more about NHLE here).

Antoine Laganière NHLE GP G A Pts NHLE G NHLE A NHLE Pts 2009-10 25 7 3 10 9 4 13 2010-11 25 5 8 13 7 11 18 2011-12 35 19 14 33 18 13 31 2012-13 22 12 11 23 19 17 36

As Keith Law says, you "can't scout a boxscore," but based on his size and production, the twenty-two year old Laganière looks like he could project as a top-nine NHL forward if he continues along on his recent development track. He's also thought to be among the most highly sought after NCAA free agents this Spring, with Hockey Future figuring that as many as twenty NHL clubs could try to bid for his services.

In talking about his East Coast soujourn on the Team 1040today, Mike Gillis said that he was, "out here looking at some college players," (note the plural "some") and that the organization wanted to "have a chance [to speak with and scout] a couple of players we're interested in."

So who else might the Canucks be interested in beyond Laganière? I have no actual idea obviously, but that's no fun so let's use our common sense here. Yale played two games this weekend, one against Quinnipac and another against Princeton. By quickly cross-referencing those rosters with players the Canucks have invited to their prospect development camp over the past two seasons, we can produce an interesting name: Jeremy Langlois.

Langlois is a goal scoring winger and a productive Tempe Arizona product. Between Langlois and Laganière, Langlois has had the more productive NCAA career though, at six foot nothing and a 172 pounds, he doesn't possess the "NHL size" that Laganière does.

Anyway, who knows who the Canucks will go after, but the club didn't sign any undrafted or college free-agents last Spring (though they did sign Evan McEneny in the late summer). The lack of any undrafted free agent signings in the Spring does, however, represent a pretty significant departure from the way Mike Gillis has previously done business (think Darren Archibald, Chris Tanev, Eddie Lack, Sebastian Erixon, Evan Oberg etc.). Sounds like the Canucks will probably be back to their usual "diamond in the rough" hunting ways this Spring though, doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I think having our own farm team would help attract some of these college UFA's better.

If any of these guys look at the situation in Chicago they'll realize they'd have a tough time getting ice-time there let alone on the Canucks.

I think if things go well in the next few seasons, the Canucks can be a model team for developing college players. They already seem to have a knack of finding college gems (Tanev, McNally, Connauton, Price, Labate, Lain). They just need the development aspect to go along with it.

I think having our own farm team would help attract some of these college UFA's better.

If any of these guys look at the situation in Chicago they'll realize they'd have a tough time getting ice-time there let alone on the Canucks.

I think if things go well in the next few seasons, the Canucks can be a model team for developing college players. They already seem to have a knack of finding college gems (Tanev, McNally, Connauton, Price, Labate, Lain). They just need the development aspect to go along with it.

Justin Shultz was drafted by the Anahiem Ducks in round 2 of the 2008 NHL entry draft. Not a undiscovered Free Agent. He lied his way onto the free agent market. Anahiem tried desperatly to sign him but his agent said, he will sign with them, but never did.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived