The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why did so many people think we were "back" after last game?

Primus099

No your dead on.. Rinne stunk otherwise that game would of been another loss.. and hell even the Columbus game you play them twice in 3 games your bound to win 1 of them.. I don't know what is up with this team but it sure as hell doesn't look like an easy fix. I don't want to see MG morgatge the future considering how weak our prospect pool is.

I for one haven't been impressed with Luongo last few games. Not his fault we've given up so many, but again, no big saves to help the cause either. And way too irregular and streaky if you can put it that way.

I thought it was the wrong move to start Luongo in net tonight after the Predators game. He doesn't look insecure or unstable, it's just that every good shot seems to beat him. Credit to the shooters for great effort, but you gotta stop the good shots too.

We got incredibly lucky and caught Rinne on a terrible night, we almost blew a 5-2 lead. we did not play well and haven't for a long time. Back to reality tonight, we suck right now. Something needs to change

Oh, and after LA beats the Sharks and we finish losing this game we drop to 7th. Joy

Its pretty funny how high and low the posts get on here after a win/loss.

Anyone who thought the last game vs the preds would be a turning point for this team are either willfully ignorant or just dont understand hockey and are naive beyond belief.

Im all for optimism when its merrited, but the truth is there are too many gaffs currently with this team to be optimistic unless something big changes.. its overdue.

i also lol at the people who think that its only because Kesler is out.. absolutely the stupidest thing Ive read on here.. to think that Kes will come back and magically make everything better? Hah. Thats rich.

People just need to face the cold hard truth that this team has lost depth, the players here now are underperforming, the coaching staff clearly has no answers for it, and everyone is a bit too confortable with losing.

Something has got to give sooner or later

detroit has our number this year for sure..the canucks are getting back to their hockey capabilities. they are short a player or two but throwing the team under the boss after each loss is just stupid.....

detroit did the same to edmonton last night..

the team will let this one go and try to get back on track next game...

We got incredibly lucky and caught Rinne on a terrible night, we almost blew a 5-2 lead. we did not play well and haven't for a long time. Back to reality tonight, we suck right now. Something needs to change

Oh, and after LA beats the Sharks and we finish losing this game we drop to 7th. Joy

i have been watching the canucks for years with the exception of a few yrs this team has struggled with scoring the second half of last year to now , has been horrid pp is just crap it hasent bin right since erhoff left pk needs to be a bit better im not sure a trade will totally fix what the problems, they dont have alot down on the farm.im not big on some of the talent the canucks have . booth i think hes on his way out next yr.im not sure lou is going anywere,they dont have any team speed , the transition game has gone i read some wear that toronto made them an offer for louie butt gillis got greedy im thinking i hope things work in the future it just wont be this year i hope im wrong

because most people watch the games as fans and not as analysts. they only see the result and trust the opinions of out of touch media with an agenda rather than actually watching and seeing how a team is playing.

management says the team is as good as 2010-11?

the coaching staff says the team is where they expected?

the only issue acknowledged by the team captain is the broken powerplay?

media lumps the canucks into a vague and arbitrary category of "elite" teams?

the cup is ours!

Nashville got bombed by Calgary too, and we played horribly in that game. It's been around a month of average play now and we're 7th in the league, borderline missing the playoffs.

That being said I believe the Canucks have the best chance to win a Cup this season than ever before and here's why:

- We have better depth than ever before, and better than most teams. Henrik, Daniel, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are all on pace for a 20 goal season over a full 82 game schedule. That's not even including Kesler and Booth who would be if they were healthy all season. That's 8 20-goal scorers, meaning we'd have a couple of 20 goal scorers on our 3rd line. If you look back at all the Cup winners, they all had 20-goal scorers on their 3rd line. Boston did. We didn't (Torres, Malhotra and Hansen, Hansen had 15).

- We have many more big, physical power forwards. Guys who can score but also hit. Namely Higgins, Kesler, Booth and even Hansen. You win Cups with these guys - not just guys who can hit but those who are great forecheckers and can score. That's not even mentioning Kassian, Lapierre and Pinizotto who are consistently throwing huge hits and all of whom are opportunistic scorers.

- We've got a MUCH bigger and more physical defence. Alberts, Garrison, Barker, Ballard and Bieksa are playing a very physical game this year and that's what you need in the playoffs to wear down opposing team's forwards. This is how Boston and Los Angeles throttled teams - by grinding them down physically, then scoring on an injured bunch of teams. If their forwards are broken down they can't score.

- We've got 2 great goalies, either of whom could catch lightning in a bottle at any time and go on a hot streak to win us a cup. AV is giving both guys a fair chance, it just takes one solid winning streak from either of them and they're both capable.

Right now the Canucks are much better suited for playoff hockey than regular season hockey. They're playing a much more grinding, physical game as opposed to the skill game they used to play, and it's a HUGE positive. I would much rather watch us get beaten by skill and speed right now, because in the playoffs checking is a lot tighter and opponents lose that element while we will thrive in that sort of environment. All we have to do is make the playoffs...

I didn't think we were back.

But I did think we were turning the corner. Maybe I was wrong but it is not easy when we keep getting injuries to know for sure. I don't think a team like the wings is the best team to meet when you are just getting some kind of form back.

As long as we try to keep our lines consistent, I still think we will squeeze into the playoffs.

Nashville got bombed by Calgary too, and we played horribly in that game. It's been around a month of average play now and we're 7th in the league, borderline missing the playoffs.

That being said I believe the Canucks have the best chance to win a Cup this season than ever before and here's why:

- We have better depth than ever before, and better than most teams. Henrik, Daniel, Raymond, Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are all on pace for a 20 goal season over a full 82 game schedule. That's not even including Kesler and Booth who would be if they were healthy all season. That's 8 20-goal scorers, meaning we'd have a couple of 20 goal scorers on our 3rd line. If you look back at all the Cup winners, they all had 20-goal scorers on their 3rd line. Boston did. We didn't (Torres, Malhotra and Hansen, Hansen had 15).

- We have many more big, physical power forwards. Guys who can score but also hit. Namely Higgins, Kesler, Booth and even Hansen. You win Cups with these guys - not just guys who can hit but those who are great forecheckers and can score. That's not even mentioning Kassian, Lapierre and Pinizotto who are consistently throwing huge hits and all of whom are opportunistic scorers.

- We've got a MUCH bigger and more physical defence. Alberts, Garrison, Barker, Ballard and Bieksa are playing a very physical game this year and that's what you need in the playoffs to wear down opposing team's forwards. This is how Boston and Los Angeles throttled teams - by grinding them down physically, then scoring on an injured bunch of teams. If their forwards are broken down they can't score.

- We've got 2 great goalies, either of whom could catch lightning in a bottle at any time and go on a hot streak to win us a cup. AV is giving both guys a fair chance, it just takes one solid winning streak from either of them and they're both capable.

Right now the Canucks are much better suited for playoff hockey than regular season hockey. They're playing a much more grinding, physical game as opposed to the skill game they used to play, and it's a HUGE positive. I would much rather watch us get beaten by skill and speed right now, because in the playoffs checking is a lot tighter and opponents lose that element while we will thrive in that sort of environment. All we have to do is make the playoffs...

More than a trade, a complete shift in strategy attitude and effort. Basically a heart transplant.

One or two guys coming into the hierarchy of this team will do nothing. This team plays a soft, labotomised brand of hockey that has no identity. How do you bring new players into a team with no identity?

They're not fast enough or talented enough to play run and gun; they're not big enough to play like Boston and intimidate and push teams around, they're not a puck possession team. They're not gritty or tenacious. What exactly are they?

Archived