Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

1. Fire Newell Brown
2. Fire Rick Bowness
3. Fire Alain Vigneault
4. Hire coaches who are willing to use the right players on the PP and build a strategy around the players they have rather than trying to fit the players into the pre-determined strategy.

Come to think of it, #4 would also help with team defense and consistent scoring.

#32 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

His name is Jason Garrison, use him.

If he's not out there on a 5-on-3, you should be insta-fired. No excuse for NHL coaches to not make such an easy, obvious move.

Agreed. The way we played that PP, it could have been 5-on-1 and we would not have scored. Can't, for the life of me, understand coach V's logic. We have not scored in ages on PP, MAKE SOME FREAKIN' CHANGES.

Garrison is the best weapon we've got - and he sits on the bench learning "how it's done" from freakin' Edler. Good thinking, AV!

Edited by Socrates, 16 March 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#33 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:47 PM

Losing Salo should not be an issue considering we got Jason Garrison back. Garrison has a MUCH harder and more accurate shot than Salo, and is also far more mobile and can jump right down into the slot for a back-door pass. 16 goals last season, now he's on pace for about 12 so this guy is far more lethal than Salo. We're just not using him.

Our PP strategy should not have changed at all after Salo left - simply replace Salo with Garrison.
Posted Image

#34 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Like Albert Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
results."

This is one of the reasons why AV absolutely fails as a coach. Simply, failing to find alternative strategies when we've been figured out.

+ why isn't the coaching staff using Garrison on the PP for his big shot? The reason why Ballard has looked like a complete dud in Vancouver is because he hasn't been used properly for the type of player he is. I don't want the same thing to happen to Garrison either. I'd rather stick a soldering iron in my eye than watch the same kind of situation evolve again. It's brutal to watch, and it's evident that certain players are getting sick of this too.

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#35 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Problem is Garrison has 25% of the hockey skills that Salo has.
Garrison was never brought here to replace Salo as they are not even close skill set-wise.
Get a PP d man for Luongo (if Gillis can ever make that trade in our lifetime).

Edited by nuck nit, 17 March 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#36 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:11 AM

if bowness actually coached the PP.

he coaches the dcore.

I apologize. I actually meant Newell Brown. That still doesn't excuse his lack of "supposed" power play advantage. Based on the last two years, it seems that Ehroff and Salo carried the powerplay, and not Brown, that made us the incredibly dangerous force that we were on the cup run. Yet AV runs everyone but Garrison on the PP...

#37 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Like Albert Einstein said: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
results."

This is one of the reasons why AV absolutely fails as a coach. Simply, failing to find alternative strategies when we've been figured out.

+ why isn't the coaching staff using Garrison on the PP for his big shot? The reason why Ballard has looked like a complete dud in Vancouver is because he hasn't been used properly for the type of player he is. I don't want the same thing to happen to Garrison either. I'd rather stick a soldering iron in my eye than watch the same kind of situation evolve again. It's brutal to watch, and it's evident that certain players are getting sick of this too.

While I sincerely agree with your comment, who will replace the Salo hockey IQ? Salo was an extraordinary player for the PP... none of which has been replaced with the loss of him and Ehroff from our cup run. While Garrison has the shot, no one has the puck carrying ability that Ehroff has.. unforunately.

#38 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

I didn't use to blame AV and the assistant coaches for sticking to their game plan - their reasoning was that their team strategy worked so well for so long and absolutely dominated this league that they built a LOT of trust in it and their players. Especially during the 2011 season, even when we lost AV would say in post-game speeches that it's all about playing the "right" way because he knew that if they continued to stick to the system, his players would come through.

That meant that he didn't touch his lines or PP unit all season because he had built such a great trust in his players to come through when it counted.

The thing is, we don't have the same team as back then. The coaches rarely had to coach in 2011 because of how well our players played. Problem is, the league has figured out our defensive and special team systems and worst of all - our players aren't the same. We have much bigger, more physical players now as opposed to purely skilled guys from 2011 (Samuelsson instead of Booth, Hodgson instead of Kassian, Salo and Ehrhoff instead of Tanev and Garrison).

In all honesty, you win Cups with bigger, more physical players and Mike Gillis is building that sort of team. The problem is, he and AV clearly aren't on the same page. We've got the right personel to win a cup right now - great scoring depth (one of the only team with so many players on pace for 20 goals over a full season), a very physical defence and great goalies. It's all up to the coaches now to find a game plan that fits these players better.
Posted Image

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

POPULAR

"So coach... Why no Kassian in front of the net?"

"Because Burrows is so much better at deflecting pucks."

"0 powerplay goals in last 33 attempts, better?"

"So coach... Why no Garrison shot on first unit?"

"Because Hamhuis puts it on net better."

"Shoots wide all the time better?"

Fine. Run the wrong units for whatever reason you have, beit political or whatever. But don't try and sell to us like these are the best options we have available. We're not idiots. It's pretty hard to hide a powerplay that is this bad, seemingly on-purpose.
Posted Image

#40 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

The Sedins are a big problem on the powerplay right now as well. They essentially just pass the puck back and forth on the halfboards. The pk can just stand there and watch, where are the cycle plays that the Sedins were doing back when they were winning trophies. Way wayyyyyyyyyy too little movement.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#41 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

The Sedins are a big problem on the powerplay right now as well. They essentially just pass the puck back and forth on the halfboards. The pk can just stand there and watch, where are the cycle plays that the Sedins were doing back when they were winning trophies. Way wayyyyyyyyyy too little movement.

While many other members may not agree with you, I do. While the Sedin's are superstars, they have to evolve their game. The Cycle seems to not work anymore. Unfortunately, that's what they are good at. The have to start shooting now, rather than wait for the perfect pass.

#42 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

they aren't setting up fast enough and when they do they pass it around for a minute and then get a shot blocked and zone cleared leaving 10 seconds for 2nd unit to try to do something. ???? SHOOT PLEASE

#43 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

This!

How to fix the PP, get Erhoff and Solo back!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

I agree with the first 2 points, but not #3... If we rely solely on our D to provide special teams scoring, it won't solve the problem, just band-aid them. We need our forward to do most of the goal scoring. They (PP unit) need to keep shooting instead of waiting for the perfect play that looks pretty!

#45 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

Actually Henrik must shoot more. Which he did tonight.

For a guy that has such great vision, it confuses me how many time he has a lane to shoot when he QBs from the right wall, but elects to pass.

You KNOW he is scouted to pass by the opposition, so many PKèrs are unwilling to clamp on him at the half wall, they know he has 2 safe options to pass.

Which is why he must shoot. Shoot if he sees net...or shoot low for rebounds and scrambles. The PK will not expect it.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#46 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

The PP places far too much reliance on the Sedins. I'd like to see them split up; one guy on each unit. (I'm not sure Daniel even deserves to be on the second unit the way he's playing.) It makes no sense to me to give the twins most of the PP time no matter how poorly they're playing.

We need a new look; teams know exactly what's going to happen. The coaching has become old and stale, and needs to be replaced.

#47 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

The PP places far too much reliance on the Sedins. I'd like to see them split up; one guy on each unit. (I'm not sure Daniel even deserves to be on the second unit the way he's playing.) It makes no sense to me to give the twins most of the PP time no matter how poorly they're playing.

Im all about splitting up the Twins on the PP

Danny is also a sublime passer who likes to move for open ice. He likes making plays from the middle of the zone whereas Hank likes playing off the halfboards.

They do need to try a different look, and really consider having both Juice and Tanev playing LD on the PP units.

The PP in the past was lethal because the team had 2 RH d-men, which opens up alot more options for puck movement. They also had 2 ace centers per line.

Id like to see Lappy take the place of Kesler as a front of the net presence. And move Burr to the 2nd PP unit.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#48 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

The drop pass is not an issue and almost every team uses it or some version of it. For the most part entering the zone isn't the problem. Its simply not enough shots and not enough effort. They're continually getting out worked in the rare case of rebounds and loose pucks. That 5 on 3 was absolutely pathetic. Edler and Hamhuis are hanging out the blue line. Why? They should be a good 5-10 feet closer firing one timers. It shouldn't have anything to do with who's on the PP, the plan and execution is unacceptable.

#49 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

The drop pass isn't the problem. Their set up is. The Canucks never "close" in the box. They're always so spread out on the man advantage. When you're that spread out you need to be looking for cross-seam one-timers, which no one wants to do.

They're still missing their best powerplay presence in Kesler. He's a shooter and a better net presence than Burrows.

They need a major shake-up. Put Garrison back on for some heavier shots. Take more shots form the half-wall. And if they're going to use this modified umbrella where Henrik floats around the slot, he needs to be sliding into the soft spots between the defense and forwards for one-timers. If he doesn't want to do this, someone else needs to.

At this point, they're probably just over-thinking it too. No confidence and it just gets worse.

Thanks for not making me type this out. I second this post.

Posted Image

#50 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

- use Garrison more
- take more shots
- wait for Kesler(our best PP performer) to get healthy

#51 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

You can fix it as soon as you fire Bowness. He's had 2 years to fix it and it's still disgusting.

Bowness isn't the PP coach. Maybe get your facts straight. Fire Newell Brown.

And to all you hockey "experts", and by experts I mean those who don't have a clue, the drop pass is not the problem with our PP.

Do you know why they do the drop pass? The initial skater essentially drives the defense back into their zone, clearing out neutral ice and allowing the recipient of the pass to enter the zone unencumbered and with speed. Therefore we don't have to dump and chase and keep possession of the puck. Plenty of teams are using the exact same strategy.

In my opinion the PP problem has more to do with personnel and our "perimeter" strategy. When we do get shots on net (which frankly isn't remotely enough) we rarely get rebounds or retrieve the puck because we only have one person in front. When that person is Burrows he just tends to be easily removed from the front. We need Kassian or Kesler there, but in general we need to be way more puck hungry than we are. Last night on the 5 on 3 Hamhuis had 3 great opportunities to shoot and not one of them was on net. Why Garrison isn't getting more PP minutes is beyond me and on the PP coach. If they don't fix it soon we are going to barely squeak into the playoffs.
Posted Image

#52 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

1. Fire Newell Brown
2. Fire Rick Bowness
3. Fire Alain Vigneault
4. Hire coaches who are willing to use the right players on the PP and build a strategy around the players they have rather than trying to fit the players into the pre-determined strategy.

Come to think of it, #4 would also help with team defense and consistent scoring.

I actually agree with #1 and #4 and I'm getting closer to thinking #2 and #3 might be on the horizon.
Posted Image

#53 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

The drop pass isn't the problem. Their set up is. The Canucks never "close" in the box. They're always so spread out on the man advantage. When you're that spread out you need to be looking for cross-seam one-timers, which no one wants to do.

They're still missing their best powerplay presence in Kesler. He's a shooter and a better net presence than Burrows.

They need a major shake-up. Put Garrison back on for some heavier shots. Take more shots form the half-wall. And if they're going to use this modified umbrella where Henrik floats around the slot, he needs to be sliding into the soft spots between the defense and forwards for one-timers. If he doesn't want to do this, someone else needs to.

At this point, they're probably just over-thinking it too. No confidence and it just gets worse.

Wish I had read this before I typed mine out. Pretty much saying the same thing.
Posted Image

#54 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Still don't understand why we don't utilize Garrison more.

The same reason that Keith Ballard is scratched repeatedly. Our coaching staff is a bunch of clowns.

And ffs, when you're setting up a one-timer don't pass it to his damn skates! Last night there was an embarrassing one-timer pass from hamhuis? to Edler. Passed it right at his skates.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 17 March 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#55 Alexander.Edler

Alexander.Edler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

This!

How to fix the PP, get Erhoff and Solo back!

Solo? Yea maybe put Hope Solo in net?

Posted Image

#56 RobertoLuongo.

RobertoLuongo.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

What I found most bizarre on the 5 on 3 was how far away Edler was from the net. He stood basically where he would on a normal power play which makes no sense. You need to collapse the PK's triangle if you want to use the point shot, which is quite obviously what they wanted to do.

It seems as though they are afraid of putting the puck on net, and are content with passing it around until the tap in chance is there. The Canucks need to adopt a more Chicago/LA mentality and just throw puck on net and try jamming it in.

2uxuziw.jpg

---   || small.png CDCGML ||  ---   || small.png CDCFL ||   ---   ||small.png CDCEHL ||   ---   

#57 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,873 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Kassian was awesome cycling the puck with the Twins, and then went hard to the net.

It doesn't seem like rocket science?

#58 Sundin + Luongo =Cup

Sundin + Luongo =Cup

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

This is how we fix the powerplay:

1) Take Burrows off the first unit. He's good with the Sedins in cycling the puck and is great 5-on-5, but isn't our best man in front of the net. Our PP has been brutal the entire time he's been on it and needs to go. Our best crease presence is Hansen but Booth, Higgins and Kassian are all better at screening than Burrows. Burrows is far too easy to handle - simply just isn't big enough.

2) Replace Hamhuis with Garrison. Garrison has to be the only defenceman who's getting shots through traffic, and he's our biggest shot. He proved his worth in his limited time on the second unit, while Hamhuis couldn't get anything on net, either could Bieksa.

3) Work the point shot. Henrik and Daniel should be soley focused on setting up Edler or Garrison for a one timer. Both are left handed, so with Henrik controlling on the left half-boards he can set up the LD and the LD can set up the RD for a one time slapshot. Daniel hovering in the slot for a big rebound and the net presence looking for a deflection or rebound.

0 for 33 is unacceptable.

strap Kesler in a chair and put him in the slot for the one timers, give Sundin 10 mill to unretire again

#59 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I disagree that Burrows is not good at screening the goalie.
I also think your plan to have Henrik focus on feeding the dmen for the shot would get too predictable.
I think that most of the problem is that we pass it around the outside too much and no one takes the puck to the front of the goal.
I agree that Garrison should be on the first PP unit.

#60 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Kassian was awesome cycling the puck with the Twins, and then went hard to the net.

It doesn't seem like rocket science?

The perimeter cycle game has been rendered ineffective -- yah we have puck possession, but when it results in zero chances to score, the opposing team will give us the puck all day long. The methodical, short passes along the wall that the Sedins has been utilizing is way too easy to defend, as our PP record indicates.

We should employ a 2-2-1 system with two shooters high on each side of the crease (right hand shot on the left-- Kassian -- and left hand shot on right -- Raymond), one point man (Garrison) with the Sedins working the puck. The side the d-man is cheating towards or the side the twins are working the puck should predicate which of the two high forwards sets the screen. The two high forwards should be able to collapse the bottom part of the box, creating space away from the wall for the Sedins to set up plays.

This is a high risk PP because we only have one point man, so one of the Sedins would have to be mindful of odd-man rushes coming back into our zone. Oh yah, winning a few face-offs so that we start with the puck would also help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.