The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Millionaires 2 - Red Wings 5

lolwut?

we need a major shake up with the team.. i don't think firing the coach will solve it.. we need a trade to bring in some secondary scoring.. i mean it doesn't necessary mean we need to force to trade a goalie just for the sake of trading it.. but we definitely need to do something about this line up or it's going to turn south really quick.. now that booth is out.. let see what gillis does or we are just going to stand pact.

I dont get why everyone is in panic about the Canucks?? Yes they are struggling but they are struggling along with the rest of the NHL. They are right in the mix of things...everyone is averaging this same points...with a hand full of teams who are much better---other than the Sedins we dont have ANY bonifide super star...We dont have a team that consists of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, and Hossa. Or has a line up with Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne...or Crosby and Malkin...do we?? Nope. Considering the type of players the Canucks have, and what we have to play with. The Canucks are doing pretty darn well....We dont even have a bonifide number 1 defensemen. We have good players, but no super stars....our best player (ugh Kesler) is out...so why do we expect so much??? We didnt get number 1 over all picks three years a row. The Penguins were BAD for several years after Mario left. So was Chicago...so there! PAH! And that is why I am not freaking out.

I can't see Gillis making any kind of significant move involving skaters until something is done about the goaltending. Until we know, 100% FOR SURE, which one of Luongo or Schneider will be moved (and I don't think Gillis has set this in stone), it would be foolish to start moving any of the major parts.

The reason being that the players who are considered tradeable assets have markedly different performance levels depending on who is in net. Gillis, Gilman, and the rest of Canucks management are known to pay close attention to advanced statistics. Here's something that I'm sure they are aware of:

Let's look at some of the potential players that would yield decent returns (or who might need to be moved for cap reasons).

Edler:

-playing with Luongo in net this season (5v5), Edler (when on the ice) gives his team a 1.039 goals-for/20 minutes and a 0.567 goals-against/20 minutes

-playing with Schneider, those same stats go topsy-turvy, with Edler's GF20 at 0.552 and his GA20 at 0.921

-this isn't a one season aberration. Since 2010-11, Edler has had markedly better stats with Luongo than with Schneider

Raymond:

-another "good with Lu and crap with Schneids" player: (with Luongo: 1.474 GF20, 0.670 GA20; with Schneider: 0.530 GF20, 0.927 GA20)

Ballard:

-wouldn't you know it? (Fairly) good with Lu and bad with Cory: (with Luongo: 0.553 GF20, 0.415 GA20; with Schneider: 0.386 GF20, 0.643 GA20)

The team also has players who are markedly better with Schneider than with Luongo. Dan Hamhuis is 1.336 GF20 and 0.954GA20 with Schneids but only 0.579 GF20 and 0.868 GA20 with Luongo. Bieksa's stats are also better with Schneids than with Lu. Most crucially, for this team, the twins and Burrows have significantly better numbers with Schneider in the net.

So, if the Canucks are keeping Schneider and trading Luongo, then they have to seriously consider moving out Edler, Raymond, and Ballard because all three seem to only play well with Luongo in the net. But what if Gillis can't find a deal for Luongo and gets a ridiculous offer for Schneider? If Luongo stays and Schneider goes, then the trade picture (in terms which skaters you consider moving) shifts completely.

Until the goalie situation is resolved, I wouldn't expect any major moves involving significant roster players (at least during the season).

2012-13 5v5 stats (Canucks) from Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com: http://stats.hockeya...2012-13&sit=5v5

I dont get why everyone is in panic about the Canucks?? Yes they are struggling but they are struggling along with the rest of the NHL. They are right in the mix of things...everyone is averaging this same points...with a hand full of teams who are much better---other than the Sedins we dont have ANY bonifide super star...We dont have a team that consists of Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, and Hossa. Or has a line up with Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne...or Crosby and Malkin...do we?? Nope. Considering the type of players the Canucks have, and what we have to play with. The Canucks are doing pretty darn well....We dont even have a bonifide number 1 defensemen. We have good players, but no super stars....our best player (ugh Kesler) is out...so why do we expect so much??? We didnt get number 1 over all picks three years a row. The Penguins were BAD for several years after Mario left. So was Chicago...so there! PAH! And that is why I am not freaking out.

This isn't a slump, this is this teams reality. I haven't seen the dominant elite Canucks since January of last year. It's been over a year now since this team has been playing average to awful hockey. A shake up is needed. And soon. Right now this team has a first round exit written all over it(if we make the playoffs). Our schedule is only going to get tougher and next week will be very telling of what the Canucks should do come trade deadline.

Well guys shake up or not, did anyone else watch the post-game interviews? Both Henrik Sedin and Luongo have made some of the harshest comments about themselves I've ever seen. That's telling (we don't typically see this emotion from them). I think the Canucks will be going on a winning streak soon.

relax we still have an 83% shot at making the playoffs.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Northwest/Vancouver.html

I dont care what position we're in so long as we're in. LA was complete sh*t coming into the playoffs. It's all about turning it on at the right now.

In fact, so long as we make the playoffs, the lower we are the better our draft choice if *knock on wood* we dont win the cup ( you have to remember theres 29 other teams trying to win it as well).

For those screaming for trades or blaming MG for lack thereof...just shutup...please. 25/30 teams have legitimate playoff hopes. They are not going to trade their premium players for booth, ballard, raymond. They only thing that would happen is we get another players who hasn't been playin well recently where we give up non-roster players (i.e: booth and ballard trades). Look how well they worked out for us.

You don't make trades for the sake of making trades.

Whiners put your panties on and cheer hard for monday. 4 point night vs the Wild, the only team that could potentially run us out of the playoffs.

Well that's going to happen when your 1st (kesler), 3rd (Booth) and 4th (Kassian) most physical players are all injured.

For all the whining and crying for a centre; our team without those three couldn't win a pushing match at a girls school!

edit; FTR Burrows is #2 and regrets to Hanson who probably ranks higher than Kassian (just forgot about him as he's not that big, but obviously works and hits more than most!).

They get out worked, boxed out, and kept to the perimeter.

That's it

Does everyone remember how the team came out flat after the deadline last year; like they had been let down?

Except for a 10 game run after the year, it's still looked like it?

My feeling is we simply don't have an adequate puck possession distribution guy on enough lines. Higgins, Raymond, Booth (hickup), Kesler (dbl hickup), perhaps Kassian, Hansen all could score 30 goals with the right line mates. We miss Hodgson, and before Hodgson it was Erhoff from the back end...

And sheltered O'zone starts (my wife likes O'zone starts) is a current catch phrase... :rolleyes:

The reality is we have to many shooters, and not enough set up players to load the gun!

Trade time!

The 5 on 3 powerplay with a great chance to get back into the games and describes the last 15 games in a nutshell...With the top 6 defenemen all making in access of $4 mill a year, this should not be happening, from 3rd to 7th in 60 minutes....Sorry to say, its time for changes to be made. If they wait any longer then they will be on the outside looking in...

Archived