The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Slowly losing my faith in the game

Dak72

Posted on www.nhlofficials.com

I am a 41yr old life long fan of this game. I'm a Peace Officer by profession, and would like to believe that I live my personal and professional life with integrity and honor. I must admit I've been faced with a tough choice over the past few seasons. To continue watching this game or not. My fustration has hit that level. You see, I happen to live in Vancouver...I've supported this game for a quarter of a century, seeing it through the dead puck era as well as countless lockouts. We, the true fans, have stuck with this league even when it was made obvious that the paying customer wasn't the primary focus of the league on numerous occassions. Still, we've stayed true, committed, and loyal. Where I personally draw the line is when I see the ones that are supposed to be the most honorable and professional standards of the game show that they are not. I stopped watching basketball because some of the refs showed that they were not acting in the best interest of the game and its paying fans. What I've witnessed over the past few years towards the Canucks has made my stomach turn as I truly love this game. Not because I'm a fan of the Canucks, but because I'm a true fan of the game. When I witness refs making personal choices on what to call and when to call it, instead of calling what they should be calling based on the rules of the game that they are there to inforce, I have to say I feel betrayed. Betrayed that the honor and integrity of the game I grew up loving is being compromised by a handful of refs that feel they are above the game. It should not be open season on any team, yet night after night I witness obvious calls being ignored while the ref stands literally a couple feet away. Watching the Sedins, elite players in the league, being punched in the face after the whistle on the biggest stage of the game -the Stanley Cup Finals. I say all this from a Vancouverite's point of view, but this problem is league wide. Call the game based on the rules. You, the refs, are the GUARDIANS of this fine game...the truest form of integrity that allows the best teams to win on any given night. When that statute begins to fail (ie. NBA), you will lose your fans, your reputation in the sporting community, and most importantly, your honor. It is not too late to right this ship. Your association does not deserve to become a joke amongst fans. I am not just one voice. I am a true fan...the reason this great game exists and flourishes. Remember that.

Again I sighed in disgust watching this game tonight. When will they let their grudge against this team go? Why is this even allowed/entertained by the league?? Is the NFL the only professional league where the refs actually do their jobs with integrity and by the book? No wonder they held out for more money.....So sad that after all the political crap I've put up with over the years, it's the officiating that's actually ruining the game for me :(

I'll call a spade a spade when it's warranted. This season they haven't played well enough most nights to win. This is true. Tonight they were controlling the game until mid-way through the second period. At that point the refs decided to "ignore" at least three blatant calls. Then they gave the Wings three power plays in a row until they finally scored.

I'm talking about the obvious. It's not just a "canuck" problem...it's anytime an official decides to compromise the integrity of the job that they're doing by picking and choosing when to make a call. This has happened enough times over the past few years to warrant said post, and also my feelings toward the game as a whole. This won't change until something is done to properly regulate the job the officials are doing on the ice. Period....

I am a 41yr old life long fan of this game.

I'm a Peace Officer by profession, and would like to believe that I live my personal and professional

life with integrity and honor. I must admit I've been faced with a tough choice over the past few seasons.

To continue watching this game or not. My fustration has hit that level. You see, I happen to live in Vancouver...

I've supported this game for a quarter of a century, seeing it

through the dead puck era as well as countless lockouts. We, the true fans, have stuck with this

league even when it was made obvious that the paying customer wasn't the primary focus of the league

on numerous occassions. Still, we've stayed true, committed, and loyal. Where I personally draw the

line is when I see the ones that are supposed to be the most honorable and professional standards of

the game show that they are not. I stopped watching basketball because some of the refs showed that

they were not acting in the best interest of the game and its paying fans. What I've witnessed over

the past few years towards the Canucks has made my stomach turn as I truly love this game. Not because

I'm a fan of the Canucks, but because I'm a true fan of the game. When I witness refs making personal

choices on what to call and when to call it, instead of calling what they should be calling based on

the rules of the game that they are there to inforce, I have to say I feel betrayed. Betrayed that the

honor and integrity of the game I grew up loving is being compromised by a handful of refs that feel

they are above the game. It should not be open season on any team, yet night after night I witness

obvious calls being ignored while the ref stands literally a couple feet away. Watching the Sedins,

elite players in the league, being punched in the face after the whistle on the biggest stage of the

game -the Stanley Cup Finals. I say all this from a Vancouverite's point of view, but this problem is

league wide. Call the game based on the rules. You, the refs, are the GUARDIANS of this fine game...

the truest form of integrity that allows the best teams to win on any given night. When that statute

begins to fail (ie. NBA), you will lose your fans, your reputation in the sporting community, and most

importantly, your honor. It is not too late to right this ship. Your association does not deserve to

become a joke amongst fans. I am not just one voice. I am a true fan...the reason this great game exist

s and flourishes. Remember that.

Nothing to do with the refs, the team just plain sucks. If they don't do something soon, I will be gradually losing interest in the season. The Canucks really aren't a very entertaining team to watch most nights anyways.

Hopefully Jensen gets a shot playing in the top six. It certainly can't be any worse.

Thanks Xereau.

I'll stop whining about the officiating when it actually improves to a professional level. Sadly, nothing will get done about it because the officials are bullet proof. If the players are held accountable, coaches held accountable, GM's held accountable, then the officiating should also be held accountable. This is why there are replay reviews and coaches challenges in other professional sports.

I would appreciate it if those trying to make the point of the post irrelevant...stop. I'm not saying the Canucks lose because of the officiating, or that they're doing poorly this season because of the refs. I'm talking about a MUCH bigger issue effecting the WHOLE league.

The fact I live in Vancouver obviously tends to slant my view, as I've witnessed a horrid display of officiating towards this team ever since Burrows called out Auger. That, in itself, paints the issue with integrity of officiating league wide. Everyone saw how that can "effect" games in the NBA ref scandal. That is what this post is really about

Although fustrating to watch the refs make bad calls, in the end we've got to be able to play through adversity. We just aren't playing good enough to not let bad calls hold us back... in other words we are just sucking right now. But whatever happens I will always enjoy the game.

Well I actually read the quote (then I saw that somebody put it into a post.... afterwards...), and I completely agree. I've been saying this for years: there is obviously an underground betting ring. What they do makes no sense otherwise.

Archived