The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Slowly losing my faith in the game

Dak72

The refs have always been lousy against Van. It got worse since they put 2 refs on the ice with each refs hoping the other one will make the call or let it go. The 2 ref system made things much worse and they hate that the fans in Canada know the game. The refs now a days have the "game management philosophy". They actually try to "run" the game.

I am a 41yr old life long fan of this game.

I'm a Peace Officer by profession, and would like to believe that I live my personal and professional

life with integrity and honor. I must admit I've been faced with a tough choice over the past few seasons.

To continue watching this game or not. My fustration has hit that level. You see, I happen to live in Vancouver...

I've supported this game for a quarter of a century, seeing it

through the dead puck era as well as countless lockouts. We, the true fans, have stuck with this

league even when it was made obvious that the paying customer wasn't the primary focus of the league

on numerous occassions. Still, we've stayed true, committed, and loyal. Where I personally draw the

line is when I see the ones that are supposed to be the most honorable and professional standards of

the game show that they are not. I stopped watching basketball because some of the refs showed that

they were not acting in the best interest of the game and its paying fans. What I've witnessed over

the past few years towards the Canucks has made my stomach turn as I truly love this game. Not because

I'm a fan of the Canucks, but because I'm a true fan of the game. When I witness refs making personal

choices on what to call and when to call it, instead of calling what they should be calling based on

the rules of the game that they are there to inforce, I have to say I feel betrayed. Betrayed that the

honor and integrity of the game I grew up loving is being compromised by a handful of refs that feel

they are above the game. It should not be open season on any team, yet night after night I witness

obvious calls being ignored while the ref stands literally a couple feet away. Watching the Sedins,

elite players in the league, being punched in the face after the whistle on the biggest stage of the

game -the Stanley Cup Finals. I say all this from a Vancouverite's point of view, but this problem is

league wide. Call the game based on the rules. You, the refs, are the GUARDIANS of this fine game...

the truest form of integrity that allows the best teams to win on any given night. When that statute

begins to fail (ie. NBA), you will lose your fans, your reputation in the sporting community, and most

importantly, your honor. It is not too late to right this ship. Your association does not deserve to

become a joke amongst fans. I am not just one voice. I am a true fan...the reason this great game exist

s and flourishes. Remember that.

Archived