The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make Jannik Hansen Captain

Bananas

Am I serious? Probably not.

HOWEVER, why is it that he is the only damned player on this hockey team who actually shows up and plays 60 minutes, night in, and night out?

At the rest of the team:

In construction, we a have a term for people like you; people who come into work and coast on the backs of others. People who are MIA whenever it really matters. People who put in little to no effort, show up for a paycheque, and go home every night feeling good about themselves -- that they didn't do s**t to earn the money they take home.

Dog****ers. That's all I am seeing when the Canucks are on the ice. Nothing but a gigantic dogf*** brigade. Completely embarrassing lack of work ethic. Hockey is supposed to be a game of passion. Well, since the whole team lacks passion, the least they could do is put in a little effort, even if the emotion isn't there. But no, they'd rather come in and **** the dog. Why? Because it's easy.

The thing with dog****ers: they breed as fast as puppies when they are left unchecked. They get other employees on the bandwagon (different Bandwagon). And that's how a Dog **** Brigade is started.

At the Canucks Management:

It's your job to stop the dog **** brigade, guys.Yes, it's impossible to run a crew of such a size without having a couple dog****ers on it. Even when they get weeded out and kicked to the curb, more come. But when everybody is getting out of hand, then you've got to make some changes with the guys who've got the voice. The people who are captivating the locker room are no longer the guys with passion. The people whose voices are heard in the locker room now are just a bunch of dog****ers.

On a good crew, people talk to each other with high energy, and they care about their work and getting the job done.

On a bad crew, the voices that are heard are not those with passion; rather, they are those without passion. Everybody gets on board with the dog****ers and it turns into the Brigade.

When nothing changes (it's been a year and a half, now), then it starts to fall on management. Gillis, AV, the rest of the coaching staff, whoever it is: you're doing it wrong. Your crew is hearing the wrong damned voices. All they hear now is "YIPE! YIPE! YIPE! YIPE! YIPE! YIPE! YIPE!"

Sorry for the profanity. I put up some fancy stars in hopes to censor it.

I think I said in another thead that Hansen is likely the unsung hero of this team. I guess another question to ask is would taking the C off Sedin actually take some pressure off of him, giving him room to focus more on his game?

I think it's more of a side effect that Gillis didn't expect. In making a hockey club more player friendly and trying to give the players all the tools to succeed. (New locker room, internet, gym, ability to watch video, etc.)

What's happend is the players are in a country club atmosphere. There's no challenge from rookies to take jobs away.

Whatever AV's technical merits as a coach, the team needs a new voice, and a new focus. I think players are tired of "the process".

The players want to know if there's injuries, players can be called up to help. Internal pressure to compete and thrive and overcome adversity. That's what great teams are made of. The Canucks need to believe in themselves again. They need to get younger, deeper in all positions. The team needs discipline so that it doesn't put the ref's in the position to give them a lousy call.

The team needs to have the best special teams so at the end of the game the players can laugh at the refs.

The team needs to create a culture that losing is not tolerated. Winning is everything. A team that from the rawest rookie to the highest skilled player, we know the fundamentals, they work together as a unit. Perhaps most important, work on execution.

A team that if it's down by two goals in the second period? No problem, we can do this. A bad goal goes in? The team rallies.

Teams are going to have bad games that's a given. But what should not be tolerated is a team that looks like it's lost when it's down by a goal or two in the game.

This is going to take time, and a partial rebuild, a restocking of prospects, and most likely a new head coach with fresh ideas, and better still one that as Clint Eastwood says: "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!"

• 1 month later...

I think it's more of a side effect that Gillis didn't expect. In making a hockey club more player friendly and trying to give the players all the tools to succeed. (New locker room, internet, gym, ability to watch video, etc.)

What's happend is the players are in a country club atmosphere. There's no challenge from rookies to take jobs away.

Whatever AV's technical merits as a coach, the team needs a new voice, and a new focus. I think players are tired of "the process".

The players want to know if there's injuries, players can be called up to help. Internal pressure to compete and thrive and overcome adversity. That's what great teams are made of. The Canucks need to believe in themselves again. They need to get younger, deeper in all positions. The team needs discipline so that it doesn't put the ref's in the position to give them a lousy call.

The team needs to have the best special teams so at the end of the game the players can laugh at the refs.

The team needs to create a culture that losing is not tolerated. Winning is everything. A team that from the rawest rookie to the highest skilled player, we know the fundamentals, they work together as a unit. Perhaps most important, work on execution.

A team that if it's down by two goals in the second period? No problem, we can do this. A bad goal goes in? The team rallies.

Teams are going to have bad games that's a given. But what should not be tolerated is a team that looks like it's lost when it's down by a goal or two in the game.

This is going to take time, and a partial rebuild, a restocking of prospects, and most likely a new head coach with fresh ideas, and better still one that as Clint Eastwood says: "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome!"

Archived