The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats wrong with TANKING the season?

Anima

Why is it such a bad idea?

Lets be real, this team will either barely miss the playoff or make the playoffs and get DESTROYED in the first round. No we are no LA Kings, quit dreaming..... Why be like the Calgary Flames and finished 9th or 10th and get lousy draft picks?

Last time we missed the playoffs, we got *ahem* Cody Hodgson.....lets not beat the dead horse on that one....

Last time we have a top 5 pick, we got Henrik/Daniel Sedin.

Excluding the last 2 drafts (too early to tell with Gaunce/Jensen), the previous picks we had in the late 20's, it was Jordan Schroeder and Patrick White...yup....

With the RIDICULOUS salary cap next year, we NEED a prospect that can play next year (i.e a top 5 draft pick). With the signing of Kellan Lain and the potential of Nicklas Jensen, a top 5 pick that can play next year will be ENORMOUS.

This is what MG is facing next year, PRETTY scary...

Unrestricted free agents:

-Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, Alberts, Barker, Pinizzotto

Restricted free agents:

-Tanev (will get a raise for sure), Weise, Sestito

Getting rid of Luongo's contract (trade) + Ballard's contract (buyout), we have $53 MILLION committed to everyone else. Thats $11 Million to sign Tanev, Raymond, Higgins, Lapierre, etc. NOT HAPPENING.

Tanev will likely get at least $3-4 Mill, that means we have $7-8 Mill to sign 5 forwards, 2 defensemen and 1 back up goalie. Yup, TOTALLY screwed....

Insert a Top 5 draft pick that can potentially play in the first season (i.e. Alex Galchenyuk)

Short term pain, long term gain...

Feel free to rip this apart!

I kind of agree with this guy. This team isn't good enough to win a cup, but we aren't bad enough to get a top 5 pick. I still hope they make the playoffs because anything can happen. But having a better pick in this draft would help n

Well we cant really give up, however if this is as much heart our players are going to put in, I'd rather have a good draft pick rather than a first round sweep. With that, it'll bring the urgency for change, and hopefully a bounce back year next year.

But not giving up just yet, next 7 or 8 games will make or break out season, some will probably say oh just look at LA, well sure go ahead look at LA, how many times has that happened in the past? Anyways without a solid second line, this team is going no where, the Sedins arent getting any help and teams are shutting down their one line.

I kind of agree with this guy. This team isn't good enough to win a cup, but we aren't bad enough to get a top 5 pick. I still hope they make the playoffs because anything can happen. But having a better pick in this draft would help n

Why is it such a bad idea?

Lets be real, this team will either barely miss the playoff or make the playoffs and get DESTROYED in the first round. No we are no LA Kings, quit dreaming..... Why be like the Calgary Flames and finished 9th or 10th and get lousy draft picks?

Last time we missed the playoffs, we got *ahem* Cody Hodgson.....lets not beat the dead horse on that one....

If we can make a trade this season to make a good improvement to this team there's no reason to tank. Looking at all the teams this year I don't notice any single team that is really a favourite to win it all and there is some good teams out there struggling as well.

Look at like this.

Buyout both 4 m contracts (booth and ballard) leaving 6 m in capspace. I'm assuming we'll get around 4m back for Luo's contract. in total, 2m for those things happening.

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows (17m)

Higgins 3m resign - Kesler 5m - Jensen 900k (9m)

Raymond 2.7m resign - 3 M F/A - Hansen 1.3m ovrl about 7m.

700 k fighter - Lapierre 1.2m resign - Kassian 900k est 3m.

26 m in fwds ish

Edler - Bieksa (9.6m)

Hamhuis - Garrison (9m)

Tanev (2m est resign) - f/a 2m (4m)

22m in defenceman

Schneider 4m

backup 2m

6m in goalies

assuming we get cheap f/a's. just throwing it out there lol

If we can make a trade this season to make a good improvement to this team there's no reason to tank. Looking at all the teams this year I don't notice any single team that is really a favourite to win it all and there is some good teams out there struggling as well.

I'd rather take the chance going into the playoffs as an underdog without home advantage than purposely give up and lose so that you could draft earlier. No way to run a franchise and entertain fans. Horrible actually. People still watch games to see their team win, not play tactics by losing!

Archived