The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winning Attitude; non-existant

BigBadBertz

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but I need to vent out / get some answers about this years Canucks.

I've been a fan for a long time, since the 1994 run to be precise, and i've never seen a Canucks team so discombobulated as the one we've seen this season.

I know injuries are piling up, but it seems like the drive isn't there, almost like the whole team gave up from the opening faceoff against Anaheim at game 1 of the season.

We see flashes of the team we used to be, but nowhere near on a consistent basist. I've read on the forums all the articles of what the problem may be, and for the most part I agree, but in my opinion I think this team has just gotten stale. It's ppretty much been the same roster for 5 years now! Sure we've had success, but no Cup.

IMHO, I think this team needs fresh blood. An insertion, of a young go getter, someone who when he plays, they other guys on the team look at and say, wow, look at that guy, and gets them pumped up!

Not that we can acquire anybody like that, but we do need to find a gem in the draft. St Louis has Tarensenko, and Jaskin coming up. Those guys work so hard and want to win so much.

Even someone like Corey Perry (I know we'll never land him) He's a total douche bag, but he HATES to lose, plays with tons of heart and emotion. We need that. Alex Burrows still plays like that, but not like he used to. I actually think he's our best player these days. Look at Boston, Marchand... a little $#$%^ but man, does he play hard. We have NO ONE like that.

The coaching needs to change as well, I think we need a tough as nails coach to get this team fired up again. Again, Vignault has been good, but he's had a great team!

One of the trade rumors I had heard was us going for Steve Ott... I like this, he'll fire up the team, but not enough, we need a more talented Steve Ott if anything.

Anyways, i'm just going on and on... in the end, say what you will, defense, offense, powerplay, goaltending... whatever, although they aren't great, the real issue is the mentality, no body on this team cares about winning, and until that is corrected, doesn't matter what we do, or who we bring in, this team might as well be a non playoff team.

End Rant

Well, the 2007-08 Canucks that farted their way right out of the playoff picture were pretty bad. But yes, these guys are flailing about without much purpose.

I don't think Ott is really the answer. But I could really see someone like Brenden Morrow or Jarome Iginla providing some offense and, more importantly, a stabilizing presence.

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but I need to vent out / get some answers about this years Canucks.

I've been a fan for a long time, since the 1994 run to be precise, and i've never seen a Canucks team so discombobulated as the one we've seen this season.

I know injuries are piling up, but it seems like the drive isn't there, almost like the whole team gave up from the opening faceoff against Anaheim at game 1 of the season.

We see flashes of the team we used to be, but nowhere near on a consistent basist. I've read on the forums all the articles of what the problem may be, and for the most part I agree, but in my opinion I think this team has just gotten stale. It's ppretty much been the same roster for 5 years now! Sure we've had success, but no Cup.

IMHO, I think this team needs fresh blood. An insertion, of a young go getter, someone who when he plays, they other guys on the team look at and say, wow, look at that guy, and gets them pumped up!

Not that we can acquire anybody like that, but we do need to find a gem in the draft. St Louis has Tarensenko, and Jaskin coming up. Those guys work so hard and want to win so much.

Even someone like Corey Perry (I know we'll never land him) He's a total douche bag, but he HATES to lose, plays with tons of heart and emotion. We need that. Alex Burrows still plays like that, but not like he used to. I actually think he's our best player these days. Look at Boston, Marchand... a little $#$%^ but man, does he play hard. We have NO ONE like that.

The coaching needs to change as well, I think we need a tough as nails coach to get this team fired up again. Again, Vignault has been good, but he's had a great team!

One of the trade rumors I had heard was us going for Steve Ott... I like this, he'll fire up the team, but not enough, we need a more talented Steve Ott if anything.

Anyways, i'm just going on and on... in the end, say what you will, defense, offense, powerplay, goaltending... whatever, although they aren't great, the real issue is the mentality, no body on this team cares about winning, and until that is corrected, doesn't matter what we do, or who we bring in, this team might as well be a non playoff team.

End Rant

The worrying thing is that some of our players are playing really well, so it's not just as simple as a personel change.

The Sedins are fantastic as usual, Burrows is having a great year, Raymond and Hansen are on pace for 20 goals, 50 points and they're supposedly our 3rd line. Higgins hasn't dropped a beat, Kesler scored 5 points in the 7 games he played and even Booth was finally rounding out his form after no training camp or regular season play for a month.

Our big issue is team defence and giving up in games. Once we fall behind, the flood gates open up and our team just quits. There is no more swagger or confidence in this team that it used to have. In 2011, we could be down two goals in the 3rd period and the team would still trust in themselves and have the confidence to pull out a win, but now that confidence is shot.

This is not a confident team right now. During the 6 game winning streak it was, but that seems like it was last season now. This team needs someone to step up and start saving them games. The forwards are doing their job, so it'll have to be either Edler or one of the goalies. We need Luongo or Schneider to steal us a few games, get us a winning streak going and get the boys their confidence and swagger back.

DownUndaCanuck; You nailed it when you said this team has no swagger, no confidence. Its terrible. And yes, all you have to do is push this team down once, and they quit. Bahumbug!

I went through all the teams quickly, and the list of players that I think would help is pretty small... this team is going absolutely no where unless someone throws a trash can in the dressing room... have Henrik Sedin drop the gloves, fire up the damn team!

Anyways, list of players:

Corey Perry in Anaheim

Steve Ott and Jason Pominville in Buffalo

David Clarkson in New Jersey

Wayne Simmonds and Scott Hartnell in Philadelphia

Mike Ribeiro and Troy Brower in Washington

A trade with Buffalo or Washington is possible I think, but in reality, what do I know, i'm not a GM

I had other players, but those teams have absolutely no reason why they would trade them... quite honestly, Simmonds and Hartnell aren't going anywhere either.

Actually, another guy you can add in there is Joe Thornton. I absolutely HATE that guy, but he'd look awesome on our 2nd line, and does not like to lose... the key thing is I pin him in our 2nd line center spot. Don't put the team on his shoulders.

BTW, this also makes me realise how much this team is like San Jose in winning attitude... YUCK... maybe Joe Thornton isn't such a good idea afterall.

Actually, another guy you can add in there is Joe Thornton. I absolutely HATE that guy, but he'd look awesome on our 2nd line, and does not like to lose... the key thing is I pin him in our 2nd line center spot. Don't put the team on his shoulders.

BTW, this also makes me realise how much this team is like San Jose in winning attitude... YUCK... maybe Joe Thornton isn't such a good idea afterall.

the canucks will be better next game....hiccups will happen with all team throughout the year...after the 5 top teams, everyone else are pretty equal....you guys should cheer for chicago and anahiem...then you'll never be disappointed...

gillis is trying to make trades but trades are not easy to make...yes our defense is struggling and needs to be addressed...yes we need a third/second line center...yes our power play sucks and needs to be fixed...yes we need to clear cap space for next year...every thing we see, gillis and his team sees..gillis wants a cup here so you know he'll do what he believes it will take...

last night after detroit scored their third goal, you could see our boys sag, as detroit raised their game up a notch...is that the end of the world?...not my world...

You could smell this situation coming, as MG did not make any changes after the Boston cup defeat. The team has needed to have new blood and hungry new players inserted since then and he has let the team assets (players) depreciate to the point that trading any of the other players on the team now would maybe fetch a 2nd line player or draft pick - at best. Players like Weise, Lappy and a couple of others - maybe a bag of pucks.

The problems we have today rest squarely and soley on MG shoulders. He is the one who has let this team deteriorate. He is the one who has done nothing for the last 2 years, He is the one who let AV get tuned out by the players. He is the one who let the goal tender circus develop. He is a man of inaction and now it's his time to pay the price. Aqualini PLEASE DELIVER JUSTICE!

the canucks will be better next game....hiccups will happen with all team throughout the year...after the 5 top teams, everyone else are pretty equal....you guys should cheer for chicago and anahiem...then you'll never be disappointed...

gillis is trying to make trades but trades are not easy to make...yes our defense is struggling and needs to be addressed...yes we need a third/second line center...yes our power play sucks and needs to be fixed...yes we need to clear cap space for next year...every thing we see, gillis and his team sees..gillis wants a cup here so you know he'll do what he believes it will take...

last night after detroit scored their third goal, you could see our boys sag, as detroit raised their game up a notch...is that the end of the world?...not my world...

Archived