41 replies to this topic

#1 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Team's looking lousy about now-it can't be denied. Well, at least the CBA got signed. Even losing & playing marginally, is better than no hockey at all. To be grateful for:

-We're not pinning post-season hopes on Luongo any more. Regardless of any online-fan opinion, Gillis isn't THAT dumb.

-AV's gone this summer(latest), if this group doesn't wake up.

On the future:

Next yr comes the cap-crunch, which should force some unpopular choices. I don't mind if they deal Kesler & Edler,(in addition to Lu) to get younger, bigger, and/or deeper.

-Following season 2014/15 Sedins are due for signing. Hopefully they accept less($ & role-2nd liners would be great). They're humble guys who may recognize it's to the team's benefit.

-By then the Cap may skyrocket again & we may be positioned to add key FA's.

-Team's finally moving towards incorporating some youth into the fold. We're also drafting/acquiring more grit/size/character it seems, while hotly pursuing top college FA's.

In summary, it may be hard to accept, but we might have to take a step back before enjoying a big leap forwards. The team's trajectory may be best illustrated by Ottawa's example, after crashing out in the finals, they spiralled down, then quickly retooled on the fly. Now with their current injuries, they're displaying remarkable depth, grit & character. i bet Sens fans are rather proud of their squad, about now.

I think our team's path may end up closely resembling the Sen's.

#2 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

We need to make changes because when the sedins retire ......we are screwed.
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#3 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Some good points. But I'm not ready to give up on this season yet.

I think with some bold trades at the deadline, and a little luck with injuries, this team can still make some noise.

Our goaltenders are too good to play this average for too long. If either Schneider or Luongo get hot in the playoffs, this team can still go far. We just need some secondary scoring so the Sedins don`t have to carry the load. Also a third line centerman who can win faceoffs is a must.

But I agree about being able to retool on the fly. I think this team has some great up and coming players like Jensen, Lack, Corrado, Andersson and Gaunce that should be able to fill in the holes in the next couple years.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,245 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Which won't be for 6 years at least

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

I for one am simply disappointed with our squad this year and a silver lining just isn't cutting it. Our team has been the top team in the league two years in a row, went to the cup finals one of those years, now look at us. Seriously, what has happened?

We shouldn't be in this situation where we are thinking (as fans) to blow up the team or even thinking about next year already! Injuries have obviously hurt us this year big time with Kesler and Booth being out for practically the entire season, but where is the heart of our team that doesn't allow that sort of thing to deflate us?

Gillis needs to step it up, realize that our team just isn't cutting it the way things are going, and start making some moves so that we can make the post season and push for the cup.

Take a look at Boston, they have Kelly go down injured and begin looking to replace him. I realize that they haven't filled his role already, but they realize the importance of filling positions that need filling; something Gillis just have never done. Sorry to be debbie downer but I don't like thinking about next year when we still have a shot at this year.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#6 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm down for a culture change in Vancouver but I would still want to keep the Sedins.

Trade or drop Kesler, Booth, Edler, Ballard, Raymond, Luongo or Schneider..

Clear it out a little...

Posted Image

#7 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I for one am simply disappointed with our squad this year and a silver lining just isn't cutting it. Our team has been the top team in the league two years in a row, went to the cup finals one of those years, now look at us. Seriously, what has happened?

We shouldn't be in this situation where we are thinking (as fans) to blow up the team or even thinking about next year already! Injuries have obviously hurt us this year big time with Kesler and Booth being out for practically the entire season, but where is the heart of our team that doesn't allow that sort of thing to deflate us?

Gillis needs to step it up, realize that our team just isn't cutting it the way things are going, and start making some moves so that we can make the post season and push for the cup.

Take a look at Boston, they have Kelly go down injured and begin looking to replace him. I realize that they haven't filled his role already, but they realize the importance of filling positions that need filling; something Gillis just have never done. Sorry to be debbie downer but I don't like thinking about next year when we still have a shot at this year.

I strongly believe that Gillis doesn't have any willing trade partners. And we ain't taking scraps in return...just for the sake of a trade.

Good thread, OP!! Those of us who've been through the late 80's and 90's love the fact that struggling is being tied for first in the division with 20 games left.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 17 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Maybe misinterpreted, but I'm not advocating throwing in the towel for this year-not yet at least. Moves they make looking forward may be at the draft. That said, I don't want to see them dealing futures(prospects/picks) in desperation this deadline. Not if the core keeps playing so uninspired.

#9 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I strongly believe that Gillis doesn't have any willing trade partners. And we ain't taking scraps in return...just for the sake of a trade.

Good thread, OP!! Those of us who've been through the late 80's and 90's love the fact that struggling is being tied for first in the division with 20 games left.

Yeah, it's true-I sure remember them dark days-started attending games in '76/77. Also agree on the trading-partner bit. I like Gillis & glad he's patient-but strangely not many gm's seem interested in doing business.

#10 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Maybe misinterpreted, but I'm not advocating throwing in the towel for this year-not yet at least. Moves they make looking forward may be at the draft. That said, I don't want to see them dealing futures(prospects/picks) in desperation this deadline. Not if the core keeps playing so uninspired.

Id rather admit that we wont win the cup and trade our valuable assets for young stars of the future , than to trade our future for stars that may help us past the first round .. I just dont think were that close .. if we were , id say go for it ..

#11 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Id rather admit that we wont win the cup and trade our valuable assets for young stars of the future , than to trade our future for stars that may help us past the first round .. I just dont think were that close .. if we were , id say go for it ..

Interesting distinction, LuLover, agree with your preference. "Well, why do we have to choose 1 or the other?", skeptics will ask you. The 10% drop in cap is the prize-answer. Almost like the league had our squad in mind... Suddenly MG will find NO BUYERS?! Or he'll be forced to put prized-assets into a bargain-bin, post-draft, this summer.

The next 16-18 mos will be Gillis's true test of his worth.

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

If Gillis believes he can get a 1st round pick back in a goalie trade, I have no problem giving up our first this year for an impact player.

Posted Image

#13 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

If Gillis believes he can get a 1st round pick back in a goalie trade, I have no problem giving up our first this year for an impact player.

Yah except this years draft is mediocre at best.
Posted Image

#14 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

ESPECIALLY if he can fandangle that lil'Sustr-bloke on D! Then allhell might break loose! League will prob accuse MG of trading on steroids, etc...

#15 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

I thought this was the deepest draft since 2003...

#16 BigRedMachine

BigRedMachine

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

He doesn't have willing trade partners because luongo's contract is ridiculous. And he signed it. It's a salary dump and he should accept we wont get much in return. The fact that he won't is the reason we are sitting here mid season with two number one goaltenders and still no second line.

#17 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

No.. this is a very deep draft.

#18 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I thought this was the deepest draft since 2003...

Well, maybe I am wrong but I seem to remember a Bob MacKenzie tweet a while back saying this class wasn't very good.

He doesn't have willing trade partners because luongo's contract is ridiculous. And he signed it. It's a salary dump and he should accept we wont get much in return. The fact that he won't is the reason we are sitting here mid season with two number one goaltenders and still no second line.

I dunno. You make a valid point but I have trouble dumping key assests. I think the trade value will go back up once the bottom falls out on some of the fringe teams....plus realignment will also have an impact on possible trading partners.
Posted Image

#19 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Gee, was hoping some other kind souls could dig up a little silver lining(like coins under the sofa cushions)...

Got the rainy Monday, Asian-existential blues kickin' in

#20 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think it's time for a couple bold dynamic changing moves.

I won't be too butt hurt if we decide to trade Cory instead. In my opinion if we want to trade a goalie right now for some help it has to be Cory. Luongo offers will be better in the offseason if we can wait but I'm not so sure I want to. It's either stem the bleeding with a weak luongo trade or bolster our lineup with a young star for Cory. Couturier quality player, maybe you can get him for Schneider. Who knows what Philly is thinking with that weirdo signed long term. I'm sure they're exploring options just in case bryzgalov heads off to the looney bin one day

If I'm gillis I would

1 get rid of AV, thanx for the great years Alain but we're about to get an injection of youth over the next few years and need a good young minds coach.. Get a guy who knows how to squeeze the most out of them and not just bench the ones that didnt smile at him in the hall this morning.

2 Field all offers for luongo. If they don't include anything better than what we could get with lateral movements of other players in our lineup then either trade Cory or wait till the offseason and make the other lateral moves winger and 3rd for a 3c.. I say trade Cory though if that's the case. Tough to give up but get a good player and a 1st for him and a 2nd.

3 start calling up more kids and giving them some games in favor of the dudes stinkin it up. Start digging deeper for the spark. Give sweatt 3 games, give Jensen 3 games, give archibald a couple. We got nothing to lose at this point. Lets start weighing these kids out and seeing who wants to play in the NHL

My ideal scenario that all pans out for us and canuck fans everywhere end up happy.

Schneider 2nd Ballard

Couturier 1st talbot(Philly still tanks and we get first pick haha)

Then get Mctavish? I really don't know a ton about coaches so I can't accurately assess who we need. I just liked how he took that young oilers group far in 06.

Sedin sedin Jensen
Burrows kesler Hansen
Booth couturier kassian
Lapierre talbot weise

Edler Jones
Hamhuis Tanev
Garrison Bieksa

Then Lack comes up and just blows everyone away. It's like a record rookie goalie season nobody saw coming. Luongo plays well too but lack is just on another level. Markstrom has a falling out with Florida and demands a trade... Gillis changes his answering machine to say "ohhhh so look who decided to come crawling back" and awaits Tallons call. Meanwhile in Toronto Reimer nails scrivens mom but scrivens slips laxatives in reimers drink and Toronto has themselves a stiffer finch goalie conundrum.

I want all that stuff to happen!

#21 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

@thad, Well thanks for the effort, but could you make it more imaginative & optimistic, next time? ;^)>

Incidentally, I still leave a touch of grey, as my wife likes that...

#22 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Sorry, forgot to add-really like yer point #3. Let's give some kids a call-up to the show!

#23 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

? Strange. I've heard the exact opposite.

Posted Image

#24 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

it looks like they have already retired along with the rest of the team.......

#25 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

. 4 games in 6 nights this week. . If they don't show up and win 3 of them. You can kiss the playoffs good bye. I don't see any silver lining in not making the playoffs. MG better be able to see the problem and make changes when necessary. He better not sit on his arse and let this team turn into a bubble team like the Flames.

Edited by SergioMomesso, 17 March 2013 - 11:44 PM.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#26 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Some good points. But I'm not ready to give up on this season yet.

I think with some bold trades at the deadline, and a little luck with injuries, this team can still make some noise.

Our goaltenders are too good to play this average for too long. If either Schneider or Luongo get hot in the playoffs, this team can still go far. We just need some secondary scoring so the Sedins don`t have to carry the load. Also a third line centerman who can win faceoffs is a must.

But I agree about being able to retool on the fly. I think this team has some great up and coming players like Jensen, Lack, Corrado, Andersson and Gaunce that should be able to fill in the holes in the next couple years.

I don't think the goalies have been the issue. It's the average defense in front of them that is.

Until Gillis makes an acquisition or trade to deal with the overpaid and underperforming blueline (Alex Edler mainly), both Luongo and Schneider will continue to be peppered with shots and unfairly blamed for the teams shortcomings.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 17 March 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

#27 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'm down for a culture change in Vancouver but I would still want to keep the Sedins.

Trade or drop Kesler, Booth, Edler, Ballard, Raymond, Luongo or Schneider..

Clear it out a little...

Trade Edler for Evander Kane

Trade Schneider for Victor Hedman
Posted Image

#28 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,875 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

I don't think the goalies have been the issue. It's the average defense in front of them that is.

Until Gillis makes an acquisition or trade to deal with the overpaid and underperforming blueline (Alex Edler mainly), both Luongo and Schneider will continue to be peppered with shots and unfairly blamed for the teams shortcomings.

They've hardly been getting peppered. Luongo only faced 26 shots last game.

Both Lu and Schneider have been guilty of giving up a softie a game. They can be better than that.

Posted Image

#29 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

I've been a fan since the mid/late 70's..........and I don't love the fact that this team plays with no heart, no urgency, and no accountability.

Playing in a weak division ends this year. This team needs to play a lot better to not be on the outside looking in next season.........they could well end up there this season too if they don't stop thinking like you are.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 18 March 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#30 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

They've hardly been getting peppered. Luongo only faced 26 shots last game.

Both Lu and Schneider have been guilty of giving up a softie a game. They can be better than that.

Both can be better for sure but neither is a major part of the problem either. If this team needs its goalies to be perfect every game then they need bigger changes. And what will they do if one of their #1 guys is actually traded and they have to play with a REAL backup goalie? Those guys are backups for a reason....namely they usually play average most games, not perfect.

Maybe this is why Gillis won't trade Luongo or Schneider.....because he knows the team and the coach relies on them to be perfect every game to even have a chance to win.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 18 March 2013 - 01:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.