The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SILVER LINING (Cos' we need it)...

Nuxfanabroad

Team's looking lousy about now-it can't be denied. Well, at least the CBA got signed. Even losing & playing marginally, is better than no hockey at all. To be grateful for:

-We're not pinning post-season hopes on Luongo any more. Regardless of any online-fan opinion, Gillis isn't THAT dumb.

-AV's gone this summer(latest), if this group doesn't wake up.

On the future:

Next yr comes the cap-crunch, which should force some unpopular choices. I don't mind if they deal Kesler & Edler,(in addition to Lu) to get younger, bigger, and/or deeper.

-Following season 2014/15 Sedins are due for signing. Hopefully they accept less($ & role-2nd liners would be great). They're humble guys who may recognize it's to the team's benefit.

-By then the Cap may skyrocket again & we may be positioned to add key FA's.

-Team's finally moving towards incorporating some youth into the fold. We're also drafting/acquiring more grit/size/character it seems, while hotly pursuing top college FA's.

In summary, it may be hard to accept, but we might have to take a step back before enjoying a big leap forwards. The team's trajectory may be best illustrated by Ottawa's example, after crashing out in the finals, they spiralled down, then quickly retooled on the fly. Now with their current injuries, they're displaying remarkable depth, grit & character. i bet Sens fans are rather proud of their squad, about now.

I think our team's path may end up closely resembling the Sen's.

Some good points. But I'm not ready to give up on this season yet.

I think with some bold trades at the deadline, and a little luck with injuries, this team can still make some noise.

Our goaltenders are too good to play this average for too long. If either Schneider or Luongo get hot in the playoffs, this team can still go far. We just need some secondary scoring so the Sedins don`t have to carry the load. Also a third line centerman who can win faceoffs is a must.

But I agree about being able to retool on the fly. I think this team has some great up and coming players like Jensen, Lack, Corrado, Andersson and Gaunce that should be able to fill in the holes in the next couple years.

I for one am simply disappointed with our squad this year and a silver lining just isn't cutting it. Our team has been the top team in the league two years in a row, went to the cup finals one of those years, now look at us. Seriously, what has happened?

We shouldn't be in this situation where we are thinking (as fans) to blow up the team or even thinking about next year already! Injuries have obviously hurt us this year big time with Kesler and Booth being out for practically the entire season, but where is the heart of our team that doesn't allow that sort of thing to deflate us?

Gillis needs to step it up, realize that our team just isn't cutting it the way things are going, and start making some moves so that we can make the post season and push for the cup.

Take a look at Boston, they have Kelly go down injured and begin looking to replace him. I realize that they haven't filled his role already, but they realize the importance of filling positions that need filling; something Gillis just have never done. Sorry to be debbie downer but I don't like thinking about next year when we still have a shot at this year.

I for one am simply disappointed with our squad this year and a silver lining just isn't cutting it. Our team has been the top team in the league two years in a row, went to the cup finals one of those years, now look at us. Seriously, what has happened?

We shouldn't be in this situation where we are thinking (as fans) to blow up the team or even thinking about next year already! Injuries have obviously hurt us this year big time with Kesler and Booth being out for practically the entire season, but where is the heart of our team that doesn't allow that sort of thing to deflate us?

Gillis needs to step it up, realize that our team just isn't cutting it the way things are going, and start making some moves so that we can make the post season and push for the cup.

Take a look at Boston, they have Kelly go down injured and begin looking to replace him. I realize that they haven't filled his role already, but they realize the importance of filling positions that need filling; something Gillis just have never done. Sorry to be debbie downer but I don't like thinking about next year when we still have a shot at this year.

Maybe misinterpreted, but I'm not advocating throwing in the towel for this year-not yet at least. Moves they make looking forward may be at the draft. That said, I don't want to see them dealing futures(prospects/picks) in desperation this deadline. Not if the core keeps playing so uninspired.

I strongly believe that Gillis doesn't have any willing trade partners. And we ain't taking scraps in return...just for the sake of a trade.

Good thread, OP!! Those of us who've been through the late 80's and 90's love the fact that struggling is being tied for first in the division with 20 games left.

Maybe misinterpreted, but I'm not advocating throwing in the towel for this year-not yet at least. Moves they make looking forward may be at the draft. That said, I don't want to see them dealing futures(prospects/picks) in desperation this deadline. Not if the core keeps playing so uninspired.

I think it's time for a couple bold dynamic changing moves.

I won't be too butt hurt if we decide to trade Cory instead. In my opinion if we want to trade a goalie right now for some help it has to be Cory. Luongo offers will be better in the offseason if we can wait but I'm not so sure I want to. It's either stem the bleeding with a weak luongo trade or bolster our lineup with a young star for Cory. Couturier quality player, maybe you can get him for Schneider. Who knows what Philly is thinking with that weirdo signed long term. I'm sure they're exploring options just in case bryzgalov heads off to the looney bin one day

If I'm gillis I would

1 get rid of AV, thanx for the great years Alain but we're about to get an injection of youth over the next few years and need a good young minds coach.. Get a guy who knows how to squeeze the most out of them and not just bench the ones that didnt smile at him in the hall this morning.

2 Field all offers for luongo. If they don't include anything better than what we could get with lateral movements of other players in our lineup then either trade Cory or wait till the offseason and make the other lateral moves winger and 3rd for a 3c.. I say trade Cory though if that's the case. Tough to give up but get a good player and a 1st for him and a 2nd.

3 start calling up more kids and giving them some games in favor of the dudes stinkin it up. Start digging deeper for the spark. Give sweatt 3 games, give Jensen 3 games, give archibald a couple. We got nothing to lose at this point. Lets start weighing these kids out and seeing who wants to play in the NHL

My ideal scenario that all pans out for us and canuck fans everywhere end up happy.

Schneider 2nd Ballard

Couturier 1st talbot(Philly still tanks and we get first pick haha)

Then get Mctavish? I really don't know a ton about coaches so I can't accurately assess who we need. I just liked how he took that young oilers group far in 06.

Sedin sedin Jensen

Burrows kesler Hansen

Booth couturier kassian

Lapierre talbot weise

Edler Jones

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Bieksa

Then Lack comes up and just blows everyone away. It's like a record rookie goalie season nobody saw coming. Luongo plays well too but lack is just on another level. Markstrom has a falling out with Florida and demands a trade... Gillis changes his answering machine to say "ohhhh so look who decided to come crawling back" and awaits Tallons call. Meanwhile in Toronto Reimer nails scrivens mom but scrivens slips laxatives in reimers drink and Toronto has themselves a stiffer finch goalie conundrum.

I want all that stuff to happen!

Archived