92 replies to this topic

#31 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Kesler has been hurt now for a along time. He cant seem to stay healthy. Should we trade him and get a great centre that can actually stay healthy and can compete night in and night out. Tell me what you think.

No.
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#32 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

If only he would have waited a few weeks more and continued rehabbing his shoulder and wrist, maybe he wouldn't have broken his foot...
Posted Image

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Id float his name in the offseason to see whats out there... why not? I really like Kesler, but not as a top 6 center... He has and will always play better with grinders... Hes a franchise 3rd line center with PP prowess. He's an extremely valueable piece, but he had some injury issues, and it might just be better to cut bait while his value is still there alla Linden and Bertuzzi....

A player that puts up 1st line #'s is now a 3rd line center. :picard:

Would anyone do him straight-up for Hodgson? Would be kind of amusing.

No I wouldn't.

KESLER HAS A NO TRADE CLAUSE!!! Can we please stop with the stupid knee jerk reactions of trading him every three seconds (especially since he is hurt) honestly its getting rather annoying.

I never said he was getting traded did .. I said and I quote
Is Kesler's time in Vancouver over?

You said, and I quote

Kesler has been hurt now for a along time. He cant seem to stay healthy. Should we trade him and get a great centre that can actually stay healthy and can compete night in and night out. Tell me what you think.

The answer is No.

zackass.png

#34 CaptainKool

CaptainKool

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Look at the PP stat we have now...

#35 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Kesler has the ability to dominate and completely control the flow of a game, if not an entire playoff series. He made Shea Weber look like he was standing still many times during the 2011 series against Nashville.

The only other Canucks to dominate like that are the Sedins and Luongo. This team still has the ability to win it all, at some point, with those key pieces in play.

So no, I wouldn't trade away a Selke winning forward.
Posted Image

#36 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

I only *wish* we could trade Kesler!

Yeah, yeah, heard it all before... Selke winner (two years ago), defensive-forward (who had a career year two seasons ago with a +24, and otherwise has been an average +1 to okay +11), team beast (when he's not diving during a game or after a game pretending not to whine about injuries being no-excuse), yadda, yadda, yadda.

For all the good that Kesler does bring to the Canucks, his attitude (and resulting antics, on and off the ice) is a distraction no team needs.

And frankly, to be fair - if not for the Kesler love-fest, Canucks mgmt may have been *forced* to keep some of the prospects like Grabner and Hodgson. Instead, as it is, the talent pool who should be challenging, and one day replacing the retired Sedins, are gone. The next generation is either developing elsewhere, or the picks were traded away altogether, leaving the Canucks without much long-term depth.

So much for emulating how Detroit manages a club that always seems to have solid prospects turning into stars as the old stars fade. It was a good speech from MG when he used to talk about how he was building the Canucks for the future, but like many a politician, he clearly speaks better than he delivers.

If other teams are interested in oft-injured and antic-prone Kesler, I'd vote (if I had a vote, lol) to trade him for whatever best combination of prospects and 1st/2nd round picks Canucks can get. Fill in the short term with best available via trade, and hope the Sedins can hold on a good 2-3 years while the youth corps is rebuilt.

#37 NuckleheadFan

NuckleheadFan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Simply, no, his time is not over, he's just started.

#38 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

I only *wish* we could trade Kesler!

Yeah, yeah, heard it all before... Selke winner (two years ago), defensive-forward (who had a career year two seasons ago with a +24, and otherwise has been an average +1 to okay +11), team beast (when he's not diving during a game or after a game pretending not to whine about injuries being no-excuse), yadda, yadda, yadda.

For all the good that Kesler does bring to the Canucks, his attitude (and resulting antics, on and off the ice) is a distraction no team needs.

And frankly, to be fair - if not for the Kesler love-fest, Canucks mgmt may have been *forced* to keep some of the prospects like Grabner and Hodgson. Instead, as it is, the talent pool who should be challenging, and one day replacing the retired Sedins, are gone. The next generation is either developing elsewhere, or the picks were traded away altogether, leaving the Canucks without much long-term depth.

So much for emulating how Detroit manages a club that always seems to have solid prospects turning into stars as the old stars fade. It was a good speech from MG when he used to talk about how he was building the Canucks for the future, but like many a politician, he clearly speaks better than he delivers.

If other teams are interested in oft-injured and antic-prone Kesler, I'd vote (if I had a vote, lol) to trade him for whatever best combination of prospects and 1st/2nd round picks Canucks can get. Fill in the short term with best available via trade, and hope the Sedins can hold on a good 2-3 years while the youth corps is rebuilt.

If your referring to diving when speaking about antics, Dustin Brown, Brad Marchand, Andrew Ference and a host of other players are guilty of diving just as much as Kesler. So using his on ice antics as an excuse to trade him is a tad flimsy.

It is somewhat unfortunate that a Canucks "fan" would choose to single out one of the true difference makers this team has, for actions that occur league wide. We all know that other teams have divers, but because the Canucks are hated it gets magnified.

His injuries are worriesome, for sure. How many more can he take before his ability is altered? We will have to see.

None of this takes away from his ability to dominate, which has been proven. Just ask Barry Trotz.
Posted Image

#39 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

POPULAR

Kesler has the ability to dominate and completely control the flow of a game, if not an entire playoff series. He made Shea Weber look like he was standing still many times during the 2011 series against Nashville.

The only other Canucks to dominate like that are the Sedins and Luongo. This team still has the ability to win it all, at some point, with those key pieces in play.

So no, I wouldn't trade away a Selke winning forward.

I admit to not being (and never have being) a Kesler fanatic, and having seen how the guy deals first hand my perspective on his character is rather tainted too.

But common - how long does the "Selke winner" argument go on for? Really?

Kesler's Selke year was two seasons, many injuries and several surgeries ago. And Kesler (career 0.602 pts/game, + 41) sure ain't Datsyuk (career 1.016 pts/game, +219) and his 3 Selkes, who likely woulda had his 4th back-to-back if not injured the year Kesler had his career year.

Kesler's playoff beast was also two seasons, many injuries and several surgeries ago, and even then he only managed to be 0 on the +/- with 19 points.

Kesler is one of many players who have in the past (and may possibly in the future) "dominated" a game or even a series, but having done it two years ago, or even a game here or there since, doesn't equate to him being able to do it again with any consistency. And really, the numbers show Kesler's "dominance" hasn't existed for a good two years. TWO YEARS!

We'd be better off hoping Burrows, Henrik, Daniel, Jansen, etc. can dominate the flow of a game - and series - this year!

#40 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

So basically we get a healthy great centre for an injury prone centre.

Sure

Not sure who would do this though

that was my first thought. I'll trade you my broken toy for your shiny brand new one.
Posted Image

#41 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,078 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Are the Canucks looking to trade Kesler? Probably not.
Are there things about his game that he could improve? Of course.
Is he the best 2C in the NHL. Maybe.
Is he a 3C? Is Luongo a "backup".
Does he have a ntc? Yes.
Would he waive to go to Detroit? Who knows.
If the right offer came along...as with any player....

#42 mikeburn

mikeburn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

If your referring to diving when speaking about antics, Dustin Brown, Brad Marchand, Andrew Ference and a host of other players are guilty of diving just as much as Kesler. So using his on ice antics as an excuse to trade him is a tad flimsy.

It is somewhat unfortunate that a Canucks "fan" would choose to single out one of the true difference makers this team has, for actions that occur league wide. We all know that other teams have divers, but because the Canucks are hated it gets magnified.

His injuries are worriesome, for sure. How many more can he take before his ability is altered? We will have to see.

None of this takes away from his ability to dominate, which has been proven. Just ask Barry Trotz.

In the first place, I wasn't bothering to look at other players from other teams because the antics of others are irrelevant - they aren't on the Canucks, and so aren't effecting the dynamics of the team game-to-game.

Secondly, a true fan of the team is someone who values the team as a whole more than any given part. It is only "unfortunate", as you say, fans of the team can't engage in a discussion without implying that a failure to "like" every single part of the team somehow suggests one isn't a fan. Let's not sidetrack the discussion with the whole "you're not a fan unless you agree with me" thing, okay?

Next up, while I appreciate that you are pro-Kesler and I truly do find it admirable when one demonstrates unreserved loyalty, fact remains - Kesler last "dominated" games TWO YEARS AGO. Your comment "How many more [injuries] can he take before his ability is altered?" comes into play here - Given that he last dominated TWO YEARS AGO, during which there's been a number of injuries and surgeries, it's arguable that Kesler's ability has ALREADY been altered!

More the the point - there has been nothing in Kesler's performance to suggest he is still the player of two years ago.

#43 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:06 AM

No but I can tell you one thing, Booth's sure is.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#44 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Oh CDC, you never cease to entertain

RIP LB RR PD

#45 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:52 AM

While we're at it why don't we trade away the Sedins & both of our goalies too <_<

#46 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

No it is not

#47 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

The thing is, he's always rushing to get back to play. He tried waiting it out this time but honestly, he wasn't playing the same.. He should honestly just be much more patient this time around and he'll play like he's paid to play.. He needs time and patience and he knows it but he's desperately trying to get back

Go back to your sippy cup. You have to be joking. Of coarse he wasn't playing the same!!! He was three games in from being off for almost an entire season. Get a grip guys. This is absolutely hilarious.

Edited by Magnum P I, 18 March 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Posted Image

#48 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:21 AM

Threads like this are an embarrassment to canucks fans everywhere.
Posted Image

#49 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

i'd love to trade him for a player with some balls who plays the game the right way instead of like a huge coward.

#50 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

No one is guaranteed to stay healthy.

I think your post is out of order. Kesler fought like a tiger for this team in 2010-11 continually putting his body on the line and due to our lack of 1st and 2nd line physicality he played a physical game the equivalent of 2 or 3 players. The term "beast" was invented to describe a fit Ryan Kesler.

He deserves the same consideration that I and many others gave Raymond (although just as many didn't if I recall) Let him get fully fit and then judge him.

I want Kesler on this team. We despite what some have said ARE suffering due to his absence.
Kevin.jpg

#51 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

I love Kes.
He is really important to this team.
He is essentially the engine that makes us go.

I would be open to trading him, only if someone overpaid.
(think Mike Richards-esque return, as a minimum)

#52 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

No, there is always a spot for him at local Tim Horton's, Save-On, and Firstar performance. But as a Canuck ... I like to think the Salo 2.0 is finished here.

Maybe we can ship him and Luongo as a package and get something in return.

Edited by Neversummer, 19 March 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#53 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

No, there is always a spot for him at local Tim Horton's, Save-On, and Firstar performance. But as a Canuck ... I like to think the Salo 2.0 is finished here.

Maybe we can ship him and Luongo as a package and get something in return.

kesler and edler for weber.

schneider+ for a real 2nd line center.

#54 _lax_

_lax_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

So basically we get a healthy great centre for an injury prone centre.

Sure

Not sure who would do this though

Shows what you know.. 29 teams would love to have Kesler. He ain't going anywhere!

#55 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

When healthy kesler is one of a handful of talented players we have ... We would never get useful return on investment for him. .. Terrible idea

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#56 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

He had 5 pts in 7 games, a broken foot for 6 of those games, how much more would you have wanted him to compete. I dont see how you can hold an injury(foot) that was not under his control against him. His injuries he previously recovered from are due to his compete level when healthy

Edited by CrippledCanuck, 19 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#57 1970 and beyond

1970 and beyond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Kesler coming back healthy will help. Will it put the Canucks over the top,,,,,,,,,,no. There are bigger issues than Kesler being injured.

Been a fan from day one. Some of those days were good and some were bad.

#58 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

The thing is, he's always rushing to get back to play. He tried waiting it out this time but honestly, he wasn't playing the same.. He should honestly just be much more patient this time around and he'll play like he's paid to play.. He needs time and patience and he knows it but he's desperately trying to get back

no.

He was ready when he came back and had that fire he usually has. Unfortunately he took a puck to the foot. He tried to play through it like a champ. That could happen to any player in any league. It's called back luck.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#59 Burr's bandwagon

Burr's bandwagon

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

kesler and edler for weber.

schneider+ for a real 2nd line center.

you can't be serious... thank-god your name isn't Mike Gillis.
webkit-fake-url://E0525C6D-59C8-4266-8890-6962F34EFBA6/application.pdf
-The Future

#60 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

I seriously don't get those who want to trade Kesler. He is a heart and soul player who shows up and plays hard. It is his heart and soul that gets him injured. His need to make a big hit to spark the team or throwing himself in front of a puck is exactly what this team needs and I think the rest of the team should take his example of selfless sacrifice more seriously.
I also keep reading about his selfishness with the puck and how he's always a shoot first, pass later, player. A quick look at his career stats tells me different. His goal to assist ratio has always been fairly balanced. In fact, since he first appeared with the canucks in 03-04, only twice has his goal output exceeded his assist production.
I do not believe he deserves to be accausted the way he is every game, nor do I believe any questioning of his heart valid. In fact, I believe that when the torch is passed, it is Ryan who will recieve it. Furthermore, I would like to see more of an emphasis put on finding more like him and not so much focus put on the looking for the single superstar that carries rediculous salary and equally rediculous ego that these players inevitably grow.
If one looks at the recent Stanley Cup winners; All had balance throughout the line up. No one player stood out. All contributed and all won there respective cities the cup.
While it is good to have those 100 pnt players, it is no guarantee to get that which all Vancouver fans want more than anything else. In the playoffs it is the Keslers of the hockey world that win the day. Grit, determination and sacrifice are victorious and not the pretty goals and spectacular moves. Sometimes, yes, the odd nice goal does present itself, but more often than not, it is the ugly hack and slash goals that win Lord Stanley.
In the end, those that criticize and constantly rip Kesler should, instead be looking at the rest of the team and asking why they are nt putting out the same effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.