The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Vandameer loses his mind

ConstableSidhu

All do respect to Tanev and Ballard but they're not physical enough for the playoffs. Great during the regular season, but Tanev was dominated by Los Angeles last playoffs.

This is a playoff-ready, hard hitting defence that will grind opponents down. That's how you win in the playoffs, not with slick-skating D men who are smaller than the opponents forwards:

Edler - Garrison (both giants, Garrison's been great in front of our own net)

Bieksa - Hamhuis (Bieksa has lifted his physical play this season)

Alberts - Vandermeer (15 minutes of big hitting hockey, grind opponents down in the corners)

We've only ever had 1 big hitting defenceman in the playoffs and that's Edler, last season against LA he wasn't on his game and their forwards dominated our smaller defence. With Alberts and Vandermeer on the blueline that simply won't happen. They may be a defensive liability and not bring much offence, but their job is simply to physically break down opposing team's forwards which is more important than anything else over a 7 game series. Sure we may get scored on and beaten early in series, but as the series goes on their forwards will be weaker, ours will be fresher and we will outlast them.

That's exactly how Boston beat the Canucks (and Canadiens, and Tampa Bay), and how Los Angeles cruised to a Cup.

"All do respect to Tanev and Ballard but they're not physical enough for the playoffs. Great during the regular season, but Tanev was dominated by Los Angeles last playoffs."

Utter utter bollocks. Tanev and Ballard were the standout defensive pair. And if it comes to pushback Ballard is never found wanting which is more than you can say for Edler.

I wasn't going to say anything DUC but your comment upset me (although I always find your posts entertaining) so for future use it is "due respect" not do respect. :)

I love Vandermeer. If he were a natural forward I think he'd be on the roster, but being another left handed blueliner... it's hard to want to have a blueliner playing the role of deterence.

I'd love to see him get a shot in Sestito's place though - fourth line LW - and sometimes a 7th blueliner in the lineup is actually a blessing.

Archived