8 replies to this topic

#1 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,691 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Looking at the stats machine on NHL.COM for the team and its easy to see the strain of injuries on the second line.

There is a sharp divide between any player named Sedin and the rest of the team in terms of assists.

Ten players have between 4 and 8 goals so far, and that is fairly spread around, but no one has put up an outstanding number of goals yet this year. Kassian was on track for a huge payoff from being paired with the twins, but for whatever reason was cut out of that equation by the coach some time ago.

But focusing on assists: only two forwards have reached the double digits in assists and they are both named Sedin. The scope is pretty obvious, with a decimated 2nd line, however it would seem from past history the twins will get points up with whoever they play with. The key right now is to build secondary scoring in some regards beyond that top line and of course the PP.

While it has been suggested in many ways and forms before, why not at least try giving Hansen and Raymond a centerman named Sedin. This would necessitate the other twin and Burrows having a new center, and maybe drop to the 2nd line. Schroeder can do that job with two amazing wingers like Danny and Burr. heck maybe reward Lappy and try him there for a game.

So yeah, separate the saucer from the mother ship and split the twins to overcome this abysmal drought of secondary scoring/pp scoring.

To me it is very obvious, but yes i know the argument exists of splitting up a class act that works well together...hey when one was injured the other still knocked it out of the park though, right? Give the other team a harder look to play against.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#2 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

Put Kassian back on the top line!
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#3 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Put Kassian back on the top line!

I agree, then we can bitch about how bad the twins are playing again. He sucked (they sucked) with the twins, can't play there game. Why Why Why are people still wanting this? Play him on the PP with the twins but stop there.

#4 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Put Schroeder on the second between Hansen and Raymond.

#5 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

hey when one was injured the other still knocked it out of the park though, right?

Henrik knocked it out of the park. Daniel never got a chance since Henrik is never injured *knock on wood* lol

But back to the point Henrik would perform with Raymond and hansen but Daniel and Burr will probably struggle with our available centers like Schroeder, Lapierre, Ebbett. I think they would even struggle with Kesler.

Schroeder is too small to play a cycle game, would also be trapped in their defensive zone longer with him as center. Ebbett is.. well Ebbett.

People should realize we need more center depth. Just look at the past 4 SC winners

09- Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot
10- Toews, Sharp, Bolland, Madden
11- Bergeron, Seguin, Krejci, Kelly, Campbell
12- Kopitar, Richards, Carter,Stoll, Lewis, Fraser. etc

while we have Henrik, Kesler, Schroeder, Lapierre, Ebbett. Not exactly threatening after Henrik and Kesler.

Edited by MayRayDown, 18 March 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#6 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I'm not against mixing it up a bit. My concern is that we don't have a decent centerman to slot between Dan and Burr, at least until Kes gets back. Unless Schroeder has done a lot of work on faceoffs in Chicago then really, to ease the strain, we need a new 2nd/3rd line center.

FO%
Manny 65.3
Kesler 53.8
Lapierre 50.4
H. Sedin 48.9
Schroeder 44
Ebbett 40

Edit: not saying that FOs are end all and be all of centermen but they are very important for a team trying to play a puck possession system

Edited by Vicky, 18 March 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#7 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,691 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

Henrik knocked it out of the park. Daniel never got a chance since Henrik is never injured *knock on wood* lol

But back to the point Henrik would perform with Raymond and hansen but Daniel and Burr will probably struggle with our available centers like Schroeder, Lapierre, Ebbett. I think they would even struggle with Kesler.

I am not talking about a long term situation, but to shake the funk. Can we really do worse than 7 losses and 3 wins in the last ten games played?

I doubt it. Shake it and bake it, split the twins.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#8 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Ten players have between 4 and 8 goals so far, and that is fairly spread around, but no one has put up an outstanding number of goals yet this year. Kassian was on track for a huge payoff from being paired with the twins, but for whatever reason was cut out of that equation by the coach some time ago.

Kassian was shooting 33% when he had his 5 goals (which is extremely unsustainable). His shooting % is averaging out, (down to 13.9%) but his goal drought is a result of puck-luck/percentages/not shooting enough.
(Had 15 shots in first 7, has 21 shots in his last 19 games).

Also, Burrows and Hansen have 9 assists each (prorated/82 games is ~ 27) which is well above both their career averages.

#9 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

I hope MG can acquire
- Derek Roy
- Marcel Goc

Gives us a top-6 playmaker (who also can play center, or bump Kesler to the wing)

A 3rd line center who is pre-injury Malhotra-esque.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.