Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

POPULAR

As the title states:

Tom Mayenknecht@TheSportMarket
Still lots of moving parts b4 March 23rd timeline but watch for Calgary Flames to take on Utica for their AHL affiliation while...(Cont'd)

(Part 2)...St. Louis Blues to affiliate with Chicago Wolves and @VanCanucks to buy Peoria to move to Abbotsford. #ahlcarousel @TEAM1040

Since the Wolves are independently owned - this makes sense, as the Canucks would need to obtain a franchise in order for them to move into Abbotsford.

Edited by Squeak, 18 March 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Just Jimmy

Just Jimmy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

I hope this doesn't happen
i just became a wolves fan and i live half hour from the Allstate Arena.

#3 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

That's awesome! It will be nice to have our prospects really close to Vancouver so they don't have to travel very far in the event of a call-up. Vancouver >>> Chicago. ^_^

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 18 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#4 Jagr68

Jagr68

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

#5 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,378 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Where would this leave the Heat though? Folding? or Moving?

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#6 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Where would this leave the Heat though? Folding? or Moving?

Moving to Utica
Posted Image

#7 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Wolves would still be there, just with another team's players

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#8 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

POPULAR

I'm sure I don't only speak for myself, but I REALLY hope this does happen.

Fingers crossed.

#9 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

As the title states:

Still lots of moving parts b4 March 23rd timeline but watch for Calgary Flames to take on Utica for their AHL affiliation while...(Cont'd)

My question is why would Calgary want Utica as a farm location? Calgary isnt exactly close to New York

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#10 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

My question is why would Calgary want Utica as a farm location? Calgary isnt exactly close to New York

Abby isn't making them any money
Posted Image

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Archibald - Mallet - Grenier
Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin
Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

Edited by DeNiro, 18 March 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#12 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

That is a fair argument; but there are teams who currently have that 'issue' - San Jose/Worchester, Phoenix/Portland, L.A./Manchester, Anaheim/Norfolk
Posted Image

#13 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if the Millionaires name/logos/colorscheme will be incorporated at all..
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#14 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

I wonder if the Millionaires name/logos/colorscheme will be incorporated at all..

I would be all for that.

I just don't want them to be the 'Abbotsford Canucks'
Posted Image

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

I hope this doesn't happen i just became a wolves fan and i live half hour from the Allstate Arena.

You can still cheer for the Wolves. It probably beats cheering for the baby Hawks if you're a Canucks fan.

But I thought the Utica deal was just a rumour that the new ownership group there was looking for an affilliate? I guess that's coming back around, and the Flames want their prospects to have less travel. The attendance issues of having a Flames farm team in Canucks country may well be factoring into that, but the deal they have means they aren't losing any money.

There's still some confusion for me about who actually owns the Heat. I know there's a local management group for them, but the Flames own the team. They'd have to in order to be able to move the Heat somewhere else, and the Canucks would already have to be prepared to continue the agreement with the city of Abbotsford in the Heat's place. If they didn't own the Heat then they wouldn't have the authority to move them, and we'd just potentially sign an affiliate agreement with the local owners (which would mean we couldn't buy and move in the Peoria team).

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#16 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Chicago please take Arniel with you, please please please!

:frantic:

Edited by Samuel Påhlsson, 18 March 2013 - 03:02 PM.

SYvE9NH.gif

#17 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

POPULAR

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I would be all for that.

I just don't want them to be the 'Abbotsford Canucks'

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:
Posted Image

#18 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

POPULAR

That's awesome! It will be nice to have our prospects really close to Vancouver so they don't have to travel very far in the event of a call-up. Vancouver >>> Chicago. ^_^

Instead they will have to travel very far for every single road trip.
Posted Image

#19 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:
Posted Image

Problem is the V neck isn't fitting for Abbotsford... Flip it upside down and create the collar that resemble as an A?

#20 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

POPULAR

Everyone always complains about the Canucks scouting, but there is also the development side of things that is often overlooked. These two go hand in hand. Without good development programs prospects careers can be stunted, no matter how talented they are.

Look how many years we've gone without our own farm team, and how many so called "bust" prospects we've had. Part of that has to do with scouting, but I don't think our farm teams have done enough to help mold these players.

The Moose were the best thing this team had going with Carlyle, AV, and Noel helping mold our prospects. Those years have helped produce some of the best prospects this team has had. It's not a coincidence that a strong farm team with strong coaches will help maximize a prospects ceiling.

Just look at the Red Wings. Yes they have great scouting that's able to find high end raw talent. But it's their farm team that helps turn that raw talent into well rounded NHLers. Their affiliation with Grand Rapids since 2002 has been a huge part of their success at developing players. Players like Hudler, Kronwall, Howard, Filipula, Helm, Ericsson, Abdelkader, and Kindl are all products of the Griffins. Having their farm team so close to them has clearly been beneficial. And hopefully it will be for the Canucks too. Because we have some great talent coming up in the system right now, but their potential won't be realized without strong coaching, and proper development.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image

#21 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

It reminds me of the Flying Otter Grill here in Victoria...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Fred65

Fred65

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Abbotsford is a tough franchise to run. As I understand they have to cover the cost of the teams that have to fly to the Westcoast. So it's an expensive way to run a farm team. I guess they're counting on sell outs to cover it. And I'm thinking if the Canucks loose popularity in the next couple of years...so to with the Abbotsford team

#23 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

This is great news for Nucks fans!!!

#24 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Everyone always complains about the Canucks scouting, but there is also the development side of things that is often overlooked. These two go hand in hand. Without good development programs prospects careers can be stunted, no matter how talented they are.

Look how many years we've gone without our own farm team, and how many so called "bust" prospects we've had. Part of that has to do with scouting, but I don't think our farm teams have done enough to help mold these players.

The Moose were the best thing this team had going with Carlyle, AV, and Noel helping mold our prospects. Those years have helped produce some of the best prospects this team has had. It's not a coincidence that a strong farm team with strong coaches will help maximize a prospects ceiling.

Just look at the Red Wings. Yes they have great scouting that's able to find high end raw talent. But it's their farm team that helps turn that raw talent into well rounded NHLers. Their affiliation with Grand Rapids since 2002 has been a huge part of their success at developing players, especially in the last 5 or 6 years. Having their farm team so close to them has clearly been beneficial. And hopefully it will be for the Canucks too. Because we have some great talent coming up in the system right now, but their potential won't be realized without strong coaching, and proper development.

Nothing but good things can come from having them closer... hoping this happens... would even like to go to some games to check up on the prospects... couldn't care less about Calgary prospects.
Posted Image

#25 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm still confused as to why it would be better for the Canucks AHL affiliate to be here in Abby as opposed to Chicago.

I understand that they would own the team here, which would supposedly give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

And while having the team in our own back yard would be great for our fans in the valley and would be easier for Canucks management to see our players in person, I had thought that the central locations of both the Moose and now the Wolves was preferred simply because it was always very easy to quickly call up a player from those locations when the Canucks were on the road. Although I guess it would be much easier when the Canucks are at home.

Edited by MJDDawg, 18 March 2013 - 03:27 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23 and...

#26 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

With the Abbotsford Air Show, Aviators seems appropriate. Although, I know many people will abbreviate it to AA (for Aviators or Airmen), so not sure if we want to set ourselves up for that.

They could still probably call them Vancouver Millionaires. There are plenty of teams named with a city that they don't even play in.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#27 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

Problem is the V neck isn't fitting for Abbotsford... Flip it upside down and create the collar that resemble as an A?

Tough to do I think, and the white around the neck was I think meant to be like the white scarfs you see old time pilots wearing or the collar of the jackets. It doesn't have to be so pronounced as a V, and if stylistically it could be turned into an 'A' then all the better.

Posted Image

With the Abbotsford Air Show, Aviators seems appropriate. Although, I know many people will abbreviate it to AA (for Aviators or Airmen), so not sure if we want to set ourselves up for that.

They could still probably call them Vancouver Millionaires. There are plenty of teams named with a city that they don't even play in.

Phoenix Coyotes came immediately to mind (they play in Glendale), but it'd still be nice to pay some homage to the city they are actually in.

Edited by elvis15, 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#28 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Archibald - Mallet - Grenier
Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin
Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

A little off topic I guess but you really think Lain will be behind Frieson? Even Mallet?
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#29 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

POPULAR

I understand that they would own the team here, which would give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

The Moose and the Canucks had a great relationship, which seemed to center more around helping us develop our players. Heisinger was a great GM that helped us find talent all the time including Burrows and Rypien.

Chicago doesn't seem to have that same relationship. They're primary goal is to win, not develop other teams prospects. They will always play AHL vets over prospects trying to learn the pro game. That is not a good situation for development.

This team is much better off having complete control over which of our prospects get playing time. And which coaches and GMs are in place running the show.

Posted Image

#30 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I do.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.