The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to buy Peoria Rivermen and move AHL team to Abbotsford

Squeak

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:

new_canucksjersey_potential.jpg

Abbotsford is a tough franchise to run. As I understand they have to cover the cost of the teams that have to fly to the Westcoast. So it's an expensive way to run a farm team. I guess they're counting on sell outs to cover it. And I'm thinking if the Canucks loose popularity in the next couple of years...so to with the Abbotsford team

Everyone always complains about the Canucks scouting, but there is also the development side of things that is often overlooked. These two go hand in hand. Without good development programs prospects careers can be stunted, no matter how talented they are.

Look how many years we've gone without our own farm team, and how many so called "bust" prospects we've had. Part of that has to do with scouting, but I don't think our farm teams have done enough to help mold these players.

The Moose were the best thing this team had going with Carlyle, AV, and Noel helping mold our prospects. Those years have helped produce some of the best prospects this team has had. It's not a coincidence that a strong farm team with strong coaches will help maximize a prospects ceiling.

Just look at the Red Wings. Yes they have great scouting that's able to find high end raw talent. But it's their farm team that helps turn that raw talent into well rounded NHLers. Their affiliation with Grand Rapids since 2002 has been a huge part of their success at developing players, especially in the last 5 or 6 years. Having their farm team so close to them has clearly been beneficial. And hopefully it will be for the Canucks too. Because we have some great talent coming up in the system right now, but their potential won't be realized without strong coaching, and proper development.

I'm still confused as to why it would be better for the Canucks AHL affiliate to be here in Abby as opposed to Chicago.

I understand that they would own the team here, which would supposedly give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

And while having the team in our own back yard would be great for our fans in the valley and would be easier for Canucks management to see our players in person, I had thought that the central locations of both the Moose and now the Wolves was preferred simply because it was always very easy to quickly call up a player from those locations when the Canucks were on the road. Although I guess it would be much easier when the Canucks are at home.

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen

Archibald - Mallet - Grenier

Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton

Andersson Corrado

Price Polasek

Cannata

Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

I understand that they would own the team here, which would give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen

Archibald - Mallet - Grenier

Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton

Andersson Corrado

Price Polasek

Cannata

Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

The Moose and the Canucks had a great relationship, which seemed to center more around helping us develop our players. Heisinger was a great GM that helped us find talent all the time including Burrows and Rypien.

Chicago doesn't seem to have that same relationship. They're primary goal is to win, not develop other teams prospects. They will always play AHL vets over prospects trying to learn the pro game. That is not a good situation for development.

This team is much better off having complete control over which of our prospects get playing time. And which coaches and GMs are in place running the show.

The heat are not there to make the flames money ,The issue with the heat is there losing the town millions but the issue nobody has addressed is the 10 year contract that that Calgary has with Abbotsford .

The question here still is why would Calgary move there team when the whole purpose they moved them to Abbotsford is for the exact same reason the canucks want to move the farm team to abbotsford (location) when there players are just a 45 minute flight away so there rivals can have there prospects a 45 minute drive away .

I dont see this deal going down in the near the future unless Calgary gets some kinda kick back to make it worth there while to move there prospects to the other side of North america

new_canucksjersey_potential.jpg

Well he's next after Schroeder on our depth chart for players who can play in the AHL. Unless we sign someone like Ebbett again, Mallet will be the second line center.

The ECHL isn't some joke league that anyone can put up points in. It's still pro hockey. Lots of great players have come out of the ECHL, and lots of good players have played there during the lockout. Mallet is putting up a point a game there since his return and is developing great chemistry with Grenier. I think he'll impress alot of people next season.

Archived