The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to buy Peoria Rivermen and move AHL team to Abbotsford

Squeak

If the Aquilinis are indeed looking to move their farm team to the Fraser Valley, then Chilliwack might also be considered an option. The Abbotsford building seats 7000 for hockey and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Prospera Centre in Chilliwack has a big advantage over Abbotsford, and that is parking. Seriously, have you ever tried to get in and out of the pitiful parking in Abbotsford? The Aquilinis already are invested in the Falls Golf course out in Chilliwack, so they know the area and the market. It might be better to sell out 5000 every night and create a buzz than play in Abbotsford where the crowds have been poor. And for those wondering, it would add about twenty minutes each way if you are coming out from Metro Vancouver.

If the Aquilinis are indeed looking to move their farm team to the Fraser Valley, then Chilliwack might also be considered an option. The Abbotsford building seats 7000 for hockey and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Prospera Centre in Chilliwack has a big advantage over Abbotsford, and that is parking. Seriously, have you ever tried to get in and out of the pitiful parking in Abbotsford? The Aquilinis already are invested in the Falls Golf course out in Chilliwack, so they know the area and the market. It might be better to sell out 5000 every night and create a buzz than play in Abbotsford where the crowds have been poor. And for those wondering, it would add about twenty minutes each way if you are coming out from Metro Vancouver.

I wonder how would the pricing be considering the Canucks organization will want to be making money. Maybe no more cheap hotdog, beer, etc and perhaps an extra $10-15 on top of existing prices?

Also, what impact would this have on the Vancouver Giants? While they're not the Canucks, the Giants are still our local team, but now having a 3rd local team (whereas the Heat is "their" team).... hopefully there won't be a problem in the future.

Oh man, I'm hoping this happens. It would be great if we could have our farm team close to home.

As for the travel the team would have, it's not as if there would be much of a difference as any prospects who make the bigs will have to get used to that anyways.

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen

Archibald - Mallet - Grenier

Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton

Andersson Corrado

Price Polasek

Cannata

Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

I'm still confused as to why it would be better for the Canucks AHL affiliate to be here in Abby as opposed to Chicago.

I understand that they would own the team here, which would supposedly give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

And while having the team in our own back yard would be great for our fans in the valley and would be easier for Canucks management to see our players in person, I had thought that the central locations of both the Moose and now the Wolves was preferred simply because it was always very easy to quickly call up a player from those locations when the Canucks were on the road. Although I guess it would be much easier when the Canucks are at home.

A few thoughts. The parking in Abbotsford can be fixed. The deal will include the Aquillini's buying the

arena because that will be a term of the contract as their city council won't sign off on letting the

flames out of their deal if they don't.(they want the white elephant off their books according to "the business of sport on team 10/40")The Aquillini's may have a golf course in Chilliwack but they own 20 berry

farms around Abby (if that even mattered. The Aquillini's will own 2 major exhibition/concert/venues in

lower mainland (that's always good business practice) They would have the option of moving big

playoff/final games to Rogers Arena. They would have naming rights for the arena. It's a done deal already.

I like the name "Abbotsford Airforce" with Canucks colours and Canuck "V" patches on the shoulders.

Well the city of abbotsford is covering all losses for the team.. they have a pretty darn good deal with the city. Not sure why they'd want to change. Id be surprised if many AHL teams are making money. I doubt that is of huge concern.

It would be nice to see our prospects on a regular basics but man that travel schedual is brutal.

Archived