134 replies to this topic

#31 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

A little off topic I guess but you really think Lain will be behind Frieson? Even Mallet?

I would think to start. He has shown limited offensive upside, but we'll see how he does at the next level.

I would imagine they're grooming him for a fourth line role, so putting him in a fourth line role to start is probably the way to go. We'll see how Friesen develops by next year though. He could easily be beaten out by Lain.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 March 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#32 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Abby isn't making them any money

The heat are not there to make the flames money ,The issue with the heat is there losing the town millions but the issue nobody has addressed is the 10 year contract that that Calgary has with Abbotsford .

The question here still is why would Calgary move there team when the whole purpose they moved them to Abbotsford is for the exact same reason the canucks want to move the farm team to abbotsford (location) when there players are just a 45 minute flight away so there rivals can have there prospects a 45 minute drive away .

I dont see this deal going down in the near the future unless Calgary gets some kinda kick back to make it worth there while to move there prospects to the other side of North america
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#33 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Archibald - Mallet - Grenier
Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin
Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Mallet isn't a 2nd line center....4th or 3rd at BEST.

He is in the ECHL right now....

#34 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Instead they will have to travel very far for every single road trip.

Just preparing them for life as a Canuck. :P

#35 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

The Moose and the Canucks had a great relationship, which seemed to center more around helping us develop our players. Heisinger was a great GM that helped us find talent all the time including Burrows and Rypien.

Chicago doesn't seem to have that same relationship. They're primary goal is to win, not develop other teams prospects. They will always play AHL vets over prospects trying to learn the pro game. That is not a good situation for development.

This team is much better off having complete control over which of our prospects get playing time. And which coaches and GMs are in place running the show.

That makes sense.

I'd just assumed that any affiliation deal with an AHL team required the AHL team to play and develop our players. The Moose affiliation was great for the reasons you mentioned. But I can see how vets not property of the Canucks could take valuable ice time away from our kids. Although to be fair to the Wolves ownership, I'd thought I read somewhere that they wanted a long term affiliation with the Canucks, but it was the Canucks who wanted it to be short term, and I guess now we know why.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#36 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,309 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

The heat are not there to make the flames money ,The issue with the heat is there losing the town millions but the issue nobody has addressed is the 10 year contract that that Calgary has with Abbotsford .

The question here still is why would Calgary move there team when the whole purpose they moved them to Abbotsford is for the exact same reason the canucks want to move the farm team to abbotsford (location) when there players are just a 45 minute flight away so there rivals can have there prospects a 45 minute drive away .

I dont see this deal going down in the near the future unless Calgary gets some kinda kick back to make it worth there while to move there prospects to the other side of North america

For the Canucks, it's a positive to move our AHL affiliate here and we wouldn't need any extra incentive. The Flames might, and a souring relationship between the City of Abbotsford and them due to the money the city is losing could be enough to make that a smart move for them as well (or even just the Flames showing some compassion for the city).

In any event, if the Flames found a team that would be willing to continue the agreement they have with Abbotsford (i.e. the Canucks and their newly purchased AHL team), the city would be more than likely to agree if it meant increased revenue and decreased losses the taxpayers will have to foot. Having the Canucks prospects playing would be a much better deal for the city of Abbotsford than having Flames prospects there.

Edited by elvis15, 18 March 2013 - 03:39 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#37 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

Just something I was playing around with when I heard about this.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#38 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well he's next after Schroeder on our depth chart for players who can play in the AHL. Unless we sign someone like Ebbett again, Mallet will be the second line center.

The ECHL isn't some joke league that anyone can put up points in. It's still pro hockey. Lots of great players have come out of the ECHL, and lots of good players have played there during the lockout. Mallet is putting up a point a game there since his return and is developing great chemistry with Grenier. I think he'll impress alot of people next season.

Posted Image

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:
Posted Image

Surely they qualify for Vancouver Millionaires by virtue of them being Vancouver's wholly owned farm team. I would hope we could pick up an up and coming coach, who might in time succeed AV
Kevin.jpg

#40 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Well he's next after Schroeder on our depth chart for players who can play in the AHL. Unless we sign someone like Ebbett again, Mallet will be the second line center.

The ECHL isn't some joke league that anyone can put up points in. It's still pro hockey. Lots of great players have come out of the ECHL, and lots of good players have played there during the lockout. Mallet is putting up a point a game there since his return and is developing great chemistry with Grenier. I think he'll impress alot of people next season.

I work near Elmira NY and have watched the Jackals play on a few occasions and I have watched Binghamton.

It's about as hurtin, as it gets for hockey, huge drop from a Binghamton game, like night and day bro.

It's actually really hard to watch.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#41 Eyes Above

Eyes Above

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

Posted Image

taken from hfboards

Edited by Eyes Above, 18 March 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#42 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I hope this happens!

Posted Image

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

I work near Elmira NY and have watched the Jackals play on a few occasions and I have watched Binghamton.

It's about as hurtin, as it gets for hockey, huge drop from a Binghamton game, like night and day bro.

It's actually really hard to watch.

Of course it's not the same level. And the Senators are one of the top teams in the AHL, so it's not surprising they would be really good.

My point is, if a player is performing at the ECHL level at a young age, it's a good sign that they'll be able to take the next step to the AHL.

The biggest thing is obviously the speed and the passing. Mallet has both of those things in his tool box.

Posted Image

#44 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:
Posted Image

I'm all for this ^. When you own an AHL team, you want there to be some continuity between the farm and parent clubs and having that logo and jersey design helps that. Not that aesthetics really matter. What really matters is having a farm team that is basically the "baby Canucks". You want a farm team on which your prospects are learning the same system and have the same attitudes as the Canucks in preparation for their NHL career with the Canucks.

#45 'NucK™

'NucK™

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

taken from hfboards

not yours so i dont feel so bad saying this..
but i think that looks terrible. they should design something resembling current or past nucks jerseys but not such a simple change as flipping the v of of the millionaires jersey.. (i also think it looks better with thicker stripes covering the whole sleeve)

they should use the blue/green/white colour combo but change the design and logo

(edit: also, vancouver has an odd number of letters so it is suitable for a design like that, abbatsford isnt..)

Edited by 'NucK™, 18 March 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

#46 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

not yours so i dont feel so bad saying this..
but i think that looks terrible. they should design something resembling current or past nucks jerseys but not such a simple change as flipping the v of of the millionaires jersey.. (i also think it looks better with thicker stripes covering the whole sleeve)

they should use the blue/green/white colour combo but change the design and logo

(edit: also, vancouver has an odd number of letters so it is suitable for a design like that, abbatsford isnt..)

Call them the Abbotsford Bomber's, or Top Guns and use these somehow.Posted Image
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#47 Easton76

Easton76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

You forgot about Gaunce.

Shanahan went soft on Keith.

Keith is a pretty ugly dude after all....

#48 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,349 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

You forgot about Gaunce.

Not old enough - will only be 19
Posted Image

#49 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

You forgot about Gaunce.

He's still another couple years from being able to play in the AHL. Unless of course his team gets eliminated early, which I don't see happening.

Posted Image

#50 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Abby isn't making them any money

Well the city of abbotsford is covering all losses for the team.. they have a pretty darn good deal with the city. Not sure why they'd want to change. Id be surprised if many AHL teams are making money. I doubt that is of huge concern.

It would be nice to see our prospects on a regular basics but man that travel schedual is brutal.

#51 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Abbotsford is the worst place for a AHL team. Bar none. It's good for local Canucks fans, but terrible for the team, as their travel will be a nightmare.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#52 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,153 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Abbotsford is the worst place for a AHL team. Bar none. It's good for local Canucks fans, but terrible for the team, as their travel will be a nightmare.

Best to get used to it early. They're not going to have it any easier on the Canucks.

It's actually fitting that the Canucks and their farm team will be the the most traveled teams in their leagues.

Posted Image

#53 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,252 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image

Looks great, Abbotsford Aviators have my vote.

So smooth as a name and makes perfect sense do to the history of Aviation Abby has.

Abbotsford is a tough franchise to run. As I understand they have to cover the cost of the teams that have to fly to the Westcoast. So it's an expensive way to run a farm team. I guess they're counting on sell outs to cover it. And I'm thinking if the Canucks loose popularity in the next couple of years...so to with the Abbotsford team

It will be Canuck owned so I assume they would pick up the tad so to speak.

And with the way they sellout things and make money off stuff like the Millionaires jerseys and other crap on markup i'm sure they will be just fine.

zackass.png

#54 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Good. Cheaper tickets to see pro Canuck hockey

#55 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

How is everyone forgetting the great Prab Rai?
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#56 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

...and so is Friesen. And Lain hasn't played a pro game yet. So where Mallet slots in next year is completely up in the air... if it weren't for the Wolves using so many career AHLers, he'd be in the AHL right now. He got a chance earlier this year, but he was stuck on the 4th line, barely getting any playing time. Its no fault of his own that he's stuck in the E.

abl8vt.jpg

#57 xWCMx

xWCMx

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Edit:wrong thread

Edited by xWCMx, 18 March 2013 - 08:19 PM.

Posted Image

Sig removed - inappropriate ^ how was this inappropriate?

#58 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,309 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Who?...

... is what people will be saying after the Canucks don't re-sign him this summer.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#59 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Where exactly is Prab Rai right now? Says he is not on the Kalamazoo Wings active roster.

Posted Image

#60 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,294 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

At first i thought Peoria was doing fine with their new owner, who just bought them with the Blues in 2012. But i was wrong. That owner may want to cut the Rivermen loose as they are running in the red.

Is Peoria’s 31-year run as a professional hockey market is in jeopardy?

The Peoria Rivermen could be gone after this season is over, based on source reports from the AHL and NHL that have been circulating since late January.

“Nothing is settled (about Peoria’s future). Nothing is decided. The best answer right now is a bit in limbo,” Blues chief operating officer Bruce Affleck said Monday. “I know the rumors are out there and I can’t completely squash them.”

The parent club St. Louis Blues own the Rivermen. The Peoria franchise was included as part of the NHL team’s purchase by St. Louis beer distributor Tom Stillman last year.

The word circulating in hockey circles is that Stillman might not want to write an annual check to fund an AHL farm team. He is said to be in talks to sell the Rivermen to the Vancouver Canucks, who would in turn move Peoria’s team to Abbotsford, B.C.

Abbotsford presently is home to an AHL farm team owned by Calgary. But in the primary rumor, Calgary moves its AHL team to Utica, N.Y., Tulsa, Okla., or other places.

Vancouver would then buy the Rivermen from the Blues and moves them there. The Blues then would sign with the Chicago Wolves to serve as parent club there.

The Wolves presently are AHL farm club to Vancouver. Their multiyear affilation deal expires at the end of this season.

There are other variations: Calgary sells its Abbotsford team to Vancouver and buys another AHL team — ostensibly the Rivermen via the Blues — and moves them out of Peoria.

Or the Blues retain ownership of their AHL farm team, but move the Rivermen to Kansas City, Indianapolis or Evansville, Ind.

Calgary has flat out denied it is moving AHL Abbotsford to Utica. Chicago Wolves general manager Wendell Young says he has talked to eight NHL teams about a parent club deal in Chicago. But he says none of them are the Blues.

I’d like to deliver an overwhelming denial from the Blues to Rivermen fans on Peoria’s team. But there isn’t one.

Stillman did not return a call Monday.

Are the Rivermen for sale? Is St. Louis pulling out of the Peoria market?

“For sale is too strong a term,” Affleck said. “Have we talked to people? Yes. But not in months. NHL teams talk all the time, and we talk about a number of things. Affiliations are very fluid in the AHL and this is part of the process all the time.

It's too bad for Peoria though. They've been there for decades.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.