134 replies to this topic

#61 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

If the Aquilinis are indeed looking to move their farm team to the Fraser Valley, then Chilliwack might also be considered an option. The Abbotsford building seats 7000 for hockey and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Prospera Centre in Chilliwack has a big advantage over Abbotsford, and that is parking. Seriously, have you ever tried to get in and out of the pitiful parking in Abbotsford? The Aquilinis already are invested in the Falls Golf course out in Chilliwack, so they know the area and the market. It might be better to sell out 5000 every night and create a buzz than play in Abbotsford where the crowds have been poor. And for those wondering, it would add about twenty minutes each way if you are coming out from Metro Vancouver.

#62 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

I don't get why they need to buy Peoria to move to Abbotsford <_<

g3HKFnX.png

#63 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

If the Aquilinis are indeed looking to move their farm team to the Fraser Valley, then Chilliwack might also be considered an option. The Abbotsford building seats 7000 for hockey and there isn't a bad seat in the house. Prospera Centre in Chilliwack has a big advantage over Abbotsford, and that is parking. Seriously, have you ever tried to get in and out of the pitiful parking in Abbotsford? The Aquilinis already are invested in the Falls Golf course out in Chilliwack, so they know the area and the market. It might be better to sell out 5000 every night and create a buzz than play in Abbotsford where the crowds have been poor. And for those wondering, it would add about twenty minutes each way if you are coming out from Metro Vancouver.

The main reason why the crowds are so poor in Abbostford is because they are filled with garbage Lames players. They are the enemy playing in our backyard. Put the Canucks farm there, I guarantee the attendance will grow.

Edited by Canuck or Die, 19 March 2013 - 12:01 AM.

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#64 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

I don't get why they need to buy Peoria to move to Abbotsford <_<

They need to be the owners of a team in order to move them. Calgary won't sell their team as it is much easier for them to move their farm team to Utica.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#65 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

I wonder how would the pricing be considering the Canucks organization will want to be making money. Maybe no more cheap hotdog, beer, etc and perhaps an extra $10-15 on top of existing prices?

Also, what impact would this have on the Vancouver Giants? While they're not the Canucks, the Giants are still our local team, but now having a 3rd local team (whereas the Heat is "their" team).... hopefully there won't be a problem in the future.

#66 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

This is great news, lets hope it happens!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#67 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Oh man, I'm hoping this happens. It would be great if we could have our farm team close to home.

As for the travel the team would have, it's not as if there would be much of a difference as any prospects who make the bigs will have to get used to that anyways.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#68 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

That's if the Flames even own the Heat.

They need to be the owners of a team in order to move them. Calgary won't sell their team as it is much easier for them to move their farm team to Utica.

Posted Image

#69 Captain Can

Captain Can

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

It reminds me of the Flying Otter Grill here in Victoria...

Posted Image

Wow, I haven't seen that before. That is way to close to be a coincidence.

#70 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,054 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I wonder if the Millionaires name/logos/colorscheme will be incorporated at all..

Posted Image

#71 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,613 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

The issue with that is then the Flames couldn't move their team out as they have an agreement with the City of Abbotsford for the next 7-8 years to stay in that arena. The whole switch would be dependant upon finding another AHL team to take over their agreement with Abby, in this case the team moving from Peoria.

I wonder how would the pricing be considering the Canucks organization will want to be making money. Maybe no more cheap hotdog, beer, etc and perhaps an extra $10-15 on top of existing prices?

Also, what impact would this have on the Vancouver Giants? While they're not the Canucks, the Giants are still our local team, but now having a 3rd local team (whereas the Heat is "their" team).... hopefully there won't be a problem in the future.

The Canucks would own the team, but not the building and concessions as they do with Rogers Arena. Prices will only change if the city of Abbotsford decides to raise them or sells the arena to Aquilini.

The Giants aren't affiliated with the Canucks in any way, so I doubt this will affect them much. There's enough distance that any loss in attendance to people going to a game in Abbotsford would be minimal. There's plenty of population in the Valley that wouldn't often drive in to see the Giants and vice versa.

Edited by elvis15, 19 March 2013 - 10:13 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#72 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen
Archibald - Mallet - Grenier
Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin
Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton
Andersson Corrado
Price Polasek

Cannata
Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

Pretty sure taylor matson is wolves property and the likelyhood of Vancouver signing some useless AHL plugs is more likely going to happen. Any good AHL teams will have some veteran presence like Manitoba did with Mike Keane, Jason Jaffray and Travis ramsey, then chicago with Darren Haydar, Mark Matheson and Matt CLime.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 19 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

2moy3iq.png

#73 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

dp

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY, 19 March 2013 - 10:43 AM.

2moy3iq.png

#74 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm still confused as to why it would be better for the Canucks AHL affiliate to be here in Abby as opposed to Chicago.

I understand that they would own the team here, which would supposedly give them greater control over players, but are they really lacking in any control with the Wolves team? It was the same with the Moose. They had the final say on coaches and which of their own players would be there so what benefit would owning the team provide?

And while having the team in our own back yard would be great for our fans in the valley and would be easier for Canucks management to see our players in person, I had thought that the central locations of both the Moose and now the Wolves was preferred simply because it was always very easy to quickly call up a player from those locations when the Canucks were on the road. Although I guess it would be much easier when the Canucks are at home.

Dude, you just answered your own question. Were you just wanting to post what was in your head?
Life is short, LIVE IT

#75 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

This is great news for Nucks fans!!!

Agreed
Posted Image

#76 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Dude, you just answered your own question. Were you just wanting to post what was in your head?

Yeah, that's what I was wanting to do.

My point was that I knew what the commonly heard reasons were for wanting to own a team here in Abby, but given the geography, the travel schedule/costs, and the great symbiotic relationship we had with the Moose (and we didn't own that team), I still hadn't seen an overwhelming argument as to why the team should buy and move an AHL team here.

Deniro and others provided their thoughts so I'm on board now.

But thanks for your contribution to the thread anyway. :rolleyes:

Edited by MJDDawg, 19 March 2013 - 11:57 AM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#77 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

A few thoughts. The parking in Abbotsford can be fixed. The deal will include the Aquillini's buying the
arena because that will be a term of the contract as their city council won't sign off on letting the
flames out of their deal if they don't.(they want the white elephant off their books according to "the business of sport on team 10/40")The Aquillini's may have a golf course in Chilliwack but they own 20 berry
farms around Abby (if that even mattered. The Aquillini's will own 2 major exhibition/concert/venues in
lower mainland (that's always good business practice) They would have the option of moving big
playoff/final games to Rogers Arena. They would have naming rights for the arena. It's a done deal already.
I like the name "Abbotsford Airforce" with Canucks colours and Canuck "V" patches on the shoulders.

#78 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Posted Image

Just something I was playing around with when I heard about this.

"Macmillan Bloedel Millionaires?" :)
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#79 ilovewinona

ilovewinona

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

Don't quit your day job, bro ;)

25spxza.jpg

#80 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Well the city of abbotsford is covering all losses for the team.. they have a pretty darn good deal with the city. Not sure why they'd want to change. Id be surprised if many AHL teams are making money. I doubt that is of huge concern.

It would be nice to see our prospects on a regular basics but man that travel schedual is brutal.

The Flames don't have a killer deal with the city. People need to understand how it actually works. The people with the killer deal with the city are the owners of the Heat, which is a group of local investors. The only benefit the Flames get is close proximity to Calgary.

The city is covering losses to the local Abbotsford investors who actually own the franchise.

#81 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,613 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

The Flames don't have a killer deal with the city. People need to understand how it actually works. The people with the killer deal with the city are the owners of the Heat, which is a group of local investors. The only benefit the Flames get is close proximity to Calgary.

The city is covering losses to the local Abbotsford investors who actually own the franchise.

I know there is a local management group, but if they actually own the team, what incentive do they have to move the team to Utica? Especially when their losses are covered by the city during the 10 year agreement?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#82 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I really really really hope this happens.... would be a huge plus to have the AHL affiliate in Abbotsford
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#83 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

I know there is a local management group, but if they actually own the team, what incentive do they have to move the team to Utica? Especially when their losses are covered by the city during the 10 year agreement?

They don't have motivation, they can however be bought out.

A city councillor has said the agreement can be bought out for just over 3 million.

A source of mine within the Heat organization has told me that Aquilini has purchased the arena off the city and now he can terminate a contract. They are waiting until the current season is over before making the announcement.

Edited by mpt, 19 March 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#84 trevor8930

trevor8930

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

I have lived in Abbotsford for 16 years now, I can pretty say with certainty that if this happens that building will packed every night. I go to UFV which shares a parking lot with the arena, and Ive never been to a heat game. Abbotsford is a Canucks Market no body wants to see the the flames farm team. Everyone I know was like WTF when they moved here, "we build an arena and get Calgary farm team...-_-"
Fingers crossed this could be really cool.

#85 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Funny how Vancouver can be a good franchise in Chicago and Montreal can be a good franchise in Hamilton. I'd rather have the Calgary Flames prospects here than Columbus, Islanders, Carolina etc. etc. I couldn't care less about those other teams prospects but I love to hate the Flames.

#86 Petrucci

Petrucci

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I agree with Trevor a few posts above me. I have been to games not involving the Wolves, and there's approximately 1,600 fans. I've also been to games involving the wolves, and there was quite honestly not an empty seat in the house. Now I'm not suggesting that the arena would be sold out for every single game, since things happen and people sometimes can't afford to go to every game, but I would say that sellouts would be the norm if the Canucks farm team moved here. People want hockey, they just don't want Calgary hockey. Man, I feel bad for the heat when Chicago comes to town. Heat are the definitely the "away" team on those nights.

Anyhow, business wise, it's a good move for everyone involved. And as a citizen of Abbotsford that pays taxes, I'd much rather have my tax money going somewhere BESIDES into the pockets of local investors that are guaranteed my money because their team sucks.

#87 Salmon Arm Canuck

Salmon Arm Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

The Moose and the Canucks had a great relationship, which seemed to center more around helping us develop our players. Heisinger was a great GM that helped us find talent all the time including Burrows and Rypien.

Chicago doesn't seem to have that same relationship. They're primary goal is to win, not develop other teams prospects. They will always play AHL vets over prospects trying to learn the pro game. That is not a good situation for development.

This team is much better off having complete control over which of our prospects get playing time. And which coaches and GMs are in place running the show.

I can't agree more. I go even further from a business angle. The Canuck brand is one of the most lucrative in the league right now and for the foreseeable future. There is tremendous pent-up demand for Canucks season tickets and a multi-year waiting list. Mark my words, if the Canucks move the Rivermen to Abby, I can virtually guarantee you that those who are on the Canucks waiting list for season tickets will have first shot at the Abby season tickets AND the Canucks will make the stipulation that if those who wish to eventually have the Canuck season tickets that they will HAVE to purchase the Abby season tickets and have the option to hold onto the Abby season tickets if they wish. As a result, the Abby building will also be close to sold out every night and the Canucks will make hand-over fist money having no issues flying in other AHL teams if that's what the previous arrangement was.

#88 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh man, I'm hoping this happens. It would be great if we could have our farm team close to home.

As for the travel the team would have, it's not as if there would be much of a difference as any prospects who make the bigs will have to get used to that anyways.

The Canucks travel by charter jet and I doubt an AHL team will get that treatment. IMO the trouble with Abby is the travel. It takes time away from practise and the training room. I am surprised that more AHL teams have not moved out west. The ECHL have some decent sites.

#89 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Abbotsford is a tough franchise to run. As I understand they have to cover the cost of the teams that have to fly to the Westcoast. So it's an expensive way to run a farm team. I guess they're counting on sell outs to cover it. And I'm thinking if the Canucks loose popularity in the next couple of years...so to with the Abbotsford team

On the other it could go the other way around, if the Canucks are less competitive, they will have higher draft picks, meaning better players for their farm club, meaning people could be eager to see future Canuck superstars.

#90 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image

That's not even an M, it's an upside down W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.