The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks to buy Peoria Rivermen and move AHL team to Abbotsford

Squeak

I work near Elmira NY and have watched the Jackals play on a few occasions and I have watched Binghamton.

It's about as hurtin, as it gets for hockey, huge drop from a Binghamton game, like night and day bro.

It's actually really hard to watch.

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:

new_canucksjersey_potential.jpg

not yours so i dont feel so bad saying this..

but i think that looks terrible. they should design something resembling current or past nucks jerseys but not such a simple change as flipping the v of of the millionaires jersey.. (i also think it looks better with thicker stripes covering the whole sleeve)

they should use the blue/green/white colour combo but change the design and logo

(edit: also, vancouver has an odd number of letters so it is suitable for a design like that, abbatsford isnt..)

Awesome news! Now we can finally have some control over how our prospects are developed!

Next years Abbotsford team:

Sweatt - Schroeder - Jensen

Archibald - Mallet - Grenier

Blomstrand - Friesen - Rodin

Anthony - Lain - Myron

Matson, Tochkin

Sauve Connauton

Andersson Corrado

Price Polasek

Cannata

Honzik

Hopefully we can add Sustr to the list by next season as well. :bigblush:

We could basically have an all-prospects team, but we'd likely bring in a few vets still to help out.

I still don't like the idea of the Millionaires for any team but a Vancouver team. They could try and stretch it to call them the Vancouver (area) Millionaires, but that's not quite right. My preference is for the Abbotsford Airmen (Aviators as a second choice) with the pilot version of the Johnny Canuck:

new_canucksjersey_potential.jpg

At first i thought Peoria was doing fine with their new owner, who just bought them with the Blues in 2012. But i was wrong. That owner may want to cut the Rivermen loose as they are running in the red.

Is Peoria’s 31-year run as a professional hockey market is in jeopardy?

The Peoria Rivermen could be gone after this season is over, based on source reports from the AHL and NHL that have been circulating since late January.

“Nothing is settled (about Peoria’s future). Nothing is decided. The best answer right now is a bit in limbo,” Blues chief operating officer Bruce Affleck said Monday. “I know the rumors are out there and I can’t completely squash them.”

The parent club St. Louis Blues own the Rivermen. The Peoria franchise was included as part of the NHL team’s purchase by St. Louis beer distributor Tom Stillman last year.

The word circulating in hockey circles is that Stillman might not want to write an annual check to fund an AHL farm team. He is said to be in talks to sell the Rivermen to the Vancouver Canucks, who would in turn move Peoria’s team to Abbotsford, B.C.

Abbotsford presently is home to an AHL farm team owned by Calgary. But in the primary rumor, Calgary moves its AHL team to Utica, N.Y., Tulsa, Okla., or other places.

Vancouver would then buy the Rivermen from the Blues and moves them there. The Blues then would sign with the Chicago Wolves to serve as parent club there.

The Wolves presently are AHL farm club to Vancouver. Their multiyear affilation deal expires at the end of this season.

There are other variations: Calgary sells its Abbotsford team to Vancouver and buys another AHL team — ostensibly the Rivermen via the Blues — and moves them out of Peoria.

Or the Blues retain ownership of their AHL farm team, but move the Rivermen to Kansas City, Indianapolis or Evansville, Ind.

Calgary has flat out denied it is moving AHL Abbotsford to Utica. Chicago Wolves general manager Wendell Young says he has talked to eight NHL teams about a parent club deal in Chicago. But he says none of them are the Blues.

I’d like to deliver an overwhelming denial from the Blues to Rivermen fans on Peoria’s team. But there isn’t one.

Stillman did not return a call Monday.

Are the Rivermen for sale? Is St. Louis pulling out of the Peoria market?

“For sale is too strong a term,” Affleck said. “Have we talked to people? Yes. But not in months. NHL teams talk all the time, and we talk about a number of things. Affiliations are very fluid in the AHL and this is part of the process all the time.

Archived