The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking my 6 year old daughter to her first Canucks game tonight

VMR

Hi All,

I am taking my 5 year old daughter to tonight's game VS the Wild. I have never gone to a game with someone so young, so this is a bit new for me as well.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? I have got ear protection for her to help with how loud it is, but any other tips?

Her primary excitement is to see Fin :rolleyes:, can anyone tell me if there is a place I can take her to see him there?

I would love for the nucks to win her first live game.

Hear that boys, get it done!!!!

Go Canucks Go!

I think you are required by law to get her a Canucks jersey (or at least a t-shirt) which is several sizes too big. This helps to maximize the cuteness factor. :)

regards,

G.

PS - and face paint. Don't forget the face paint!

Sorry, I wanted to update everyone on how my daughter’s first game went, but have been a little busy.

My daughter was so excited to go to the game that she could hardly wait. One thing she wanted more than anything was to see Fin. The staff were great and very helpful. They made the experience that much better.

From the moment we got there, the people checking tickets and security were super nice, and when we told them this was her first game they made her feel special. They asked her for the tickets, scanned them and told her to enjoy the night. When we walked in to the building the people handing out programs were super nice as well, they gave her a program and she smiled from ear to ear. She was made to feel important. As we were walking around, a guest services person, (she was wearing a black jacket/vest with a blue shirt) Patti was her name. She was fantastic, she asked us how we were doing and asked if we had any questions. I of course asked her if there was a place we could see Fin up close. She smiled and said we were a bit early and Fin was getting ready. She told us there was no real place Fin would be in particular, as he tends to walk everywhere. However she looked at our tickets and took a note of where we were sitting. She looked at me and said she could not promise anything but she would see what could be done. She then asked if we wanted to see the warm ups close, we said sure. She lead us down to ice level, showed us to where we could go and told us to have fun and enjoy the rest of the night.

Later on when we were at our seats, our daughter was watching the people in the crowd and seeing the players on the ice. She was truly having a great time. However, she continued to look for Fin in the crowd just to get a glimpse. Eventually she had to go to the bathroom, so went and tried to get back ASAP. As we were walking back to our section we saw Fin going to another, she was so happy she could not wait to high five and hug Fin. She waited patiently as Fin was giving stuff away in a section, and when Fin came down the stairs, he instantly waved at her and gave her the high five. She of course gave him a huge hug and Fin picked her up and she could not stop giggling and smiling. I took as many pictures as I could, although I don’t think I will ever forget how happy she was. Fin then gave her his autograph and gave her another high five.

After that, one of Fin’s helpers came up to me and asked if we were from section 330, I said yes. She said that they were on their way to come see us as they had a note about it being her first game. They figured it was us because of the description. I was stunned and amazed of all the effort that was being made. Later after we returned to our seats another staff member came to us and gave our daughter a couple of plastic necklaces and said it was because she was special. That was the cherry on top.

I have rambled too much. Anyway, Thank You again to Patti, without her doing what she could, our little one may not have seen Fin.

A+

Thanks for putting your experience up here. I think it's a fairly common occurrence from the staff towards young attendees.

It's good to read something positive about the Canucks staff who often get little credit for all of the time they spend with people who aren't acting like drunken idiots.

Archived