The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Andrej Sustr decides to leave school for NHL

Can't see the Canucks landing him. There are a lot of teams in desperate need to help on the backend, the Vancouver would be a tough sell to him. If I were him (WHICH I AM!!!!!), I would honestly choose either Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay. They need defense badly, and after a year or so in the AHL, he would pad his stats playing with the either of them, which in turn would set him up better financially than if he were to play for Vancouver.

Andrej Sustr said Wednesday that he has narrowed his list of potential NHL organizations to five or six and hopes to make a decision within the next two or three days.

Sustr, the 6-foot-8 defenseman who just completed his junior season at UNO, had long been expected to depart for professional hockey once the season ended.

"I don't want to sit on it too long," he said. "I want to go somewhere and start playing and adjusting."

Sustr said former UNO players Terry Broadhurst and Jayson Megna, who left the program after last season, and NHL veteran and ex-Maverick star Dan Ellis have been helpful in giving advice about what to look for in an NHL organization.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha's season ended Sunday, when it lost to Minnesota State-Mankato in the deciding game of a first-round WCHA playoff series.

"The first couple of days (this week), my adviser said he got at least 20 calls on me," Sustr said. "I've kind of narrowed it down every day to a certain amount of teams and I talked to about 10 teams' (general managers) over the phone. I'm just looking to see the best fit and opportunity."

Sustr, one of the Mavs' assistant captains, had career highs of nine goals, 16 assists and a plus-16 rating this season while earning third-team All-WCHA honors. He'll finish his three-year UNO career with 15 goals and 36 assists.

Mav coach Dean Blais has said he expects Sustr, a native of the Czech Republic, to possibly play in the NHL this season.

Sustr said getting an immediate NHL opportunity isn't necessarily his primary objective.

"I'm looking for a good organization that'll be a good fit for me in the long term," he said. "There's still time to develop and adjust. I have a lot of respect for the NHL and the AHL (American Hockey League, a top minor league).

"Everyone dreams of playing in the NHL, and if there's a team that would be willing to give me a couple

of games in the NHL then that would be a great opportunity. If there's a chance to play a lot of minutes in the AHL next year, or even this year, that would be great. That would get me a little bit more ready for the upcoming season and show me what I need to work on this summer."

http://m.omaha.com/o...ntguid=mVNYlgSs

Doesn't say who's on his list but he's apparently narrowed it down to 5 or 6. Also interesting to note, Dan Ellis is giving him advice in what to look for in an NHL organization.

Do you think we're on that list? Do you think we're his "good fit in the long term"?

Would be interesting if we're one of those 5-6 on the list.

http://m.omaha.com/o...ntguid=mVNYlgSs

Doesn't say who's on his list but he's apparently narrowed it down to 5 or 6. Also interesting to note, Dan Ellis is giving him advice in what to look for in an NHL organization.

Do you think we're on that list? Do you think we're his "good fit in the long term"?

Would be interesting if we're one of those 5-6 on the list.

Honestly, being a 6'8 right handed d-man with great skating ability, a lot of teams want that. The Canucks for one, need him badly mainly because he's a right handed d-man and the fact that he's a giant. But other teams like San Jose, Colorado, Edmonton, Detroit, Ottawa, Washington, New Jersey, just to name a few, are all looking to shore up their defensive prospects pool and Sustr would fit in great with any teams. The problem now is that Sustr needs to find a place where he would love to play in and that he'll be able to earn some top 6 minutes within the next couple years or so... Hell, maybe even this season if a team is that desperate.

Tambelleni : "We will offer you ice time on our top 4 roster. You will see many opportunities on the power play and be a big part of our team "

J/k

I will love to get this guy. More then Shayne Taker or DeKeyser. I personally believe we have at least 3 prospects that are above him in skill and overall calibre. (Connauton, Price, Mcnally) ,

I'm not sure he wants to jump into the NHL that quickly. From the sounds of it, he's a pretty humble guy.

I'd think he'd go well with the nucks but then again, i'm a nucks fan :P

Honestly, I think we'd be at least on his 5-6 teams list.

I have to say that the management and the broadcast and media department generally do a good job in their recruiting efforts. It isn't hard to sell the city of Vancouver but it isn't easy to beat out teams like chicago, new york and LA. I know they feel like they put their best foot forward in this case and feel like they've done their best.

I didn't mean to suggest he would be a starter. I was looking at it from the perspective of a young kid looking to sign with an org and the opportunity he might have. Van is an opportunity at RD even if it takes a couple of years.

Archived