Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Who's in a bigger pickle, Vancouver or Philly?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Vancouver - Philly (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's in a bigger pickle?

1. Vancouver (48 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

2. Philadelphia (61 votes [55.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Since the beginning of this shortened lock out season no two teams have spent as much nor had as much expectation of success as Philly and Vancouver. Maybe one could toss Washington in but I have not. I don't see the Washington fan base in the same realm as Philly and Vancouver.

Even though Vancouver still sits in a playoff position their play off hopes seem as bleak as the Flyers. Two teams that have spent gobs of money and little in the way of positive results.Both teams have assets they've paid too much for.
Unfortunately, being a Vancouver fan, I need to say Vancouver in my scope is really lacking. It's 2 years after the CUP run. Seemingly little in the way of young, good ,developed prospects coming up.

Thoughts?

#2 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,159 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

Vancouver. Philly is still a young team.

#3 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Vancouver. We have injuries. Major Injuries to players that makes up our 2nd line scoring. (David Booth Kesler, Malhotra) We are to some extent excused. They are not.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#4 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

What about NYR?

And vancouver obviously since the Core is pretty old now

#5 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

What about NYR?

And vancouver obviously since the Core is pretty old now

Good point, but is the fan base in NYC as thirsty as Vancouver's or Philly's? Does any one know what Philly looks like in the department of good young players coming up?

#6 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

Philly is fine, they're just growing still. We're in trouble
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#7 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Vancouver, if Philly gets consistent goaltending then they're okay.

#8 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Since the beginning of this shortened lock out season no two teams have spent as much nor had as much expectation of success as Philly and Vancouver. Maybe one could toss Washington in but I have not. I don't see the Washington fan base in the same realm as Philly and Vancouver.

Even though Vancouver still sits in a playoff position their play off hopes seem as bleak as the Flyers. Two teams that have spent gobs of money and little in the way of positive results.Both teams have assets they've paid too much for.
Unfortunately, being a Vancouver fan, I need to say Vancouver in my scope is really lacking. It's 2 years after the CUP run. Seemingly little in the way of young, good ,developed prospects coming up.

Thoughts?

10th best P% in the NHL, playoff chances are "bleak" ... :picard:

Go cheer for another team ...

#9 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'd rather be in Philly's shoes now..

Giroux, Simmonds, etc, etc.

We have, uh, Zack 'no goals in the last 20 games' Kassian and Schroeder.
Posted Image

#10 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

The Rangers should be in this discussion too.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#11 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Vancouver... we dont have any top end prospects to replace the Sedins and Kesler.

Philly has Couturier as their future #1 Centre and a ton of good prospects like Wellwood, Gustafsson, Read, Laughton, Cousins, Noebels...

Then they have their young core to build on Shenn Bros, Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Coburn.

#12 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Philly has Bryzgalov. Thats as bad as it gets.

#13 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Rangers. Richards/Gaborik having horrible season. Callahan not doing much either

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

The team: Vancouver, we're definitely in a worse situation if we compare future prospects

The Fans : Philly, can you imagine how CDC would react if we :

1.) lost two top six forwards who immediately win a cup the following year
2.) traded another top six forward who is the leading goal scorer on the leafs2
3.) stuck with a goalie contract in Bryz with no back up
4.) traded a former goalie who is currently playing his lights out in Columbus of all cities!

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#15 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I voted Philly to be hipster.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#16 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Edmonton.

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Well if we're discussion a pickle well lately I haven't been into then. Now lets say I choose Philadelphia they got cream cheese and cheese steak. Any way you look at it there is cheese which is pretty good either way. Unfortunately nothing delicious comes to mind when I think of Vancouver so I will have to have my bigger pickle in Philadelphia.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#18 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Philly will be a contender once they replace Mr.Universe

#19 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Does any one know what Philly looks like in the department of good young players coming up?

Great.
Giroux, Voracek, B. Schenn, Simmonds, and Couterier all have great futures ahead of them (not to mention Read, McGinn, and L.Schenn are also pretty solid)and are in their early twenties. They just need a better d core. Might as well give them Tanev, Kassian, and Schroeder; those guys will succeed there.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#20 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:33 AM

Edmonton.

Why Edmonton? They're loaded with prospects.

#21 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

I think Philly is not far away from being a real threat. If they pick up their game and get it going, they could easily steamroll past almost anybody. As opposite to our group. If we get the ball rolling again, we're definitely a good team with a chance to win, but equally prone to complete no-shows and are a threat of doing so every night.

We have one consistent line and three lines of full chaos, as no line is intact for more than a couple of games and we have several fringe NHLers and quite a few out for a long time.
I appreciate what AV has done more than most people here, but I'm firmly against how he juggles lines for years and never gets his players to work well together for long periods. Injuries cause that of course to some degree, but throwing the kids around the line lineup without any consistency is never going to work. They'll never adapt to a certain role like that. Until they get steady positions and clear long-term objectives, they'll be inconsistent and due to that; thrown around again. That in particular means Schroeder and Kassian as well as Cory Schneider and even if he has been around for some time now, Mason Raymond. Hodgson was a fine example of this as well.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#22 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,497 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

I think Philly is not far away from being a real threat. If they pick up their game and get it going, they could easily steamroll past almost anybody. As opposite to our group. If we get the ball rolling again, we're definitely a good team with a chance to win, but equally prone to complete no-shows and are a threat of doing so every night.

We have one consistent line and three lines of full chaos, as no line is intact for more than a couple of games and we have several fringe NHLers and quite a few out for a long time.
I appreciate what AV has done more than most people here, but I'm firmly against how he juggles lines for years and never gets his players to work well together for long periods. Injuries cause that of course to some degree, but throwing the kids around the line lineup without any consistency is never going to work. They'll never adapt to a certain role like that. Until they get steady positions and clear long-term objectives, they'll be inconsistent and due to that; thrown around again. That in particular means Schroeder and Kassian as well as Cory Schneider and even if he has been around for some time now, Mason Raymond. Hodgson was a fine example of this as well.

its not a stretch to believe that if they pick up a reliable defenceman or two, and if a couple players elevate their game a bit more (bryz, b schenn, couturier, rinaldo) they'll be competing for the cup.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#23 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Sorry if you actually watch the flyers they are far worse off not just their goaltending but their entire team has been under performing especially giroux not to mention the fact they have 0 defence and inconsistent goaltending

also i would say the Rangers are probably worse off then both teams with those big contracts and big name players and still can't figure out how to get in the top 3 where they probably should be with a team like that

finally from the west i wonder how the fans of San Jose are reacting right now after starting the season with a winning streak they are now on the outside looking in

#24 swflyers28

swflyers28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Vancouver.
Posted Image

#25 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

Philly has weaknesses in goal and their d-core but their youth trumps Van's situation. Philly has built in advantages #1 being their location. Half the miles traveled. Perhaps their biggest advantage is their ability to scout talent. Holmgren rebuilt that team on the go thru draft and trade. He lost some talent in deals but gained a lot as well.

If Gillis is good Van does have tadeable assets which could revitalize the Canucks. The 2011 CUP run might have been the high point for the existing group and that is Gillis's biggest decision. Does he add talent that takes another CUP run now or trade for younger talent and make a run in 3 years time?

#26 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

I love PHILLY ....... They can score! Even when down they seem to be able to rally most nights.... BRYZ is an issue altho he has been marginally better this year....along with their d which has been subpar...... They are most def in a points pickle this year.... Sigh.... Their gm seems to have some brass balls when pulling the trigger on deals at least....

Vancouver seems to be spiraling downward at the wrong time.... Man it's depressing.... Sigh....

Both my teams with abysmal showings this year.....

#27 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

Why Edmonton? They're loaded with prospects.

Yet they continuously suck year after year. As for their prospects RNH has looked like a junior this season. They should have went Seguin, Landeskog, Murray, but that's just my opinion. I think those guys bring more to the table when it comes to winning grinding games. They already had finesse with Eberle, Hemsky and Gagner. They got mesmerized by holding the 1st overall pick and that's that. Ottawa and Montreal got their top prospects and boom they're back in the playoffs.

I'm sorry but didn't the Oilers have an advantage coming out of the lockout this year. Had all 6 of their top forwards playing during the lockout. But guess what they still will end up out of the playoffs.

#28 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Tough question. People here love to talk about how old the Canucks are, but the Sedin's are PPG players and are still in their early 30s. The way they play, they'll continue to produce at this pace for at least 4-5 more years. Defense is still young (all in their 20s, except Bieksa who is in early 30s). Kesler is only 27, plenty of time to get back in form. And Schneider (who won't get traded), is still in his mid-20s.

As for Philly, they have their positives as well. However, they are saddled with an average goalie who has a terrible contract. Also, their defense is absolutely awful. Right now, Philly is in worse shape.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#29 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yet they continuously suck year after year. As for their prospects RNH has looked like a junior this season. They should have went Seguin, Landeskog, Murray, but that's just my opinion. I think those guys bring more to the table when it comes to winning grinding games. They already had finesse with Eberle, Hemsky and Gagner. They got mesmerized by holding the 1st overall pick and that's that. Ottawa and Montreal got their top prospects and boom they're back in the playoffs.

I'm sorry but didn't the Oilers have an advantage coming out of the lockout this year. Had all 6 of their top forwards playing during the lockout. But guess what they still will end up out of the playoffs.

Have to agree with you. The Oilers have a lot of top end talent, but their defense is absolutely atrocious, while their goaltending is weak. Would be fine if their forwards played well defensively, but that hasn't happened. It would be in their best interest to trade Hall or Yakupov and for a top defenseman (unlikely) or goaltender.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#30 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,074 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Vancouver. Philly is still a young team.

Precisely. Van has no young talent

Philly has Giroux, Couturier, the Schenn bros, Simmonds, etc.

Van is outworked every night because our players can't match up with the speed and size of younger players
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.