277 replies to this topic

#181 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Oh man we really need good face off man....losing 70% of the draws is unacceptable.

i miss malhotra :sadno:
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#182 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Only Garrison and Hamhuis have no-trade clauses on the defence. The rest are fair game.

Actually, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and - starting next season Edler, all have NTC on our D.

#183 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Maybe but i'd rather take my chance with that team than the one we have today.

yeah, i agree with that. I was really pissed off when we didn't keep ehrhoff.

#184 rampage

rampage

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Actually, Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and - starting next season Edler, all have NTC on our D.

whoa that's scary considering how our D has been pretty damn bad this year.

#185 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,933 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Sedin Sedin Jagr

At least it would be something Gillis.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#186 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Sedin Sedin Jagr

that ship has sailed

#187 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I honestly don't know what people expected with this roster. Just write down the roster we have right now, look at it, and tell me that it can matchup against any of the top 8 teams.

This comes down to a failure by Gillis to not shore up our center depth while Kesler was out. Counting on a career AHLer, and a raw rookie was really your plan Gillis? Really?

Yep.

And it's not gonna be easy to get a 3C at or before the deadline, either. Most teams will be in the hunt till at least the deadline, and what I fear is that Gillis panics and goes for a worse deal than last year's two mid-round picks in order to get Pahlsson v2.0.

#188 kamloopsblazers22

kamloopsblazers22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

i was talking to a friend at a kamloops blazers game. He thinks that , there is something with the organization from the top. I say , i agree with him. I was sad ernhoff, samuel and salo all left the club. huge players that made up what made the canucks good.

It is to bad, by the time canucks get a good team again. The sedin twins will be either wanting a trade or retirement. Can never stop ageing.

#189 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hold the line!

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#190 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. The goalie situation has dragged on FAAAR too long, Schneider still isn't playing, Luongo is on his way out the door, the third liners have been challenged to produce as second liners, the defense has been dismantled and exposed. The personnel just aren't there. Also we have the second most expensive team in the NHL. Something isn't right.

We've become the New York Rangers of the late '90s/early '00s except we have very few big names on our team. Something is very very wrong.

#191 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

It's easy to blame the goaltenders, but Nashville game aside the Canucks are scoring 2 goals a game or less : not good enough.

It's nice they finally got a PP goal, but it was the only goal they scored tonight. Power play is still crap, and Vancouver didn't look very dangerous on many of their scoring 'chances'.

The Canucks look uninspired and lazy, and they say they are trying hard, but they aren't making anything happen.

Agreed, their play is perimeter. No one drives to ther net, they all just chiop it in and stay to the outside. Lots of shots but not many that challenged Backstrom.

Can't remember any of our forwards trying to actually beat a Minny D man with a move or speed except Schroeder.

THis team simply does not have the offensive fire power to create sustained offence and no one is willing to pay the price to go to the front of the net.

#192 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

I expected a Canuck loss tonight, just looking at the lineup it was like a pre-season roster with some NHL regulars and a bunch of AHLers.

What will it take to get the Sedins some offensive help? this is ridiculous, 2 undersized AHL centers behind them and a defence that cant give them the puck.

A mediocre team is the result of MG being 'patient'...

#193 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,933 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

i was talking to a friend at a kamloops blazers game. He thinks that , there is something with the organization from the top. I say , i agree with him. I was sad ernhoff, samuel and salo all left the club. huge players that made up what made the canucks good.

It is to bad, by the time canucks get a good team again. The sedin twins will be either wanting a trade or retirement. Can never stop ageing.

At the same time, if we kept those players and were still struggling, fans would be saying that we did exactly what the flames did. Which is hold onto older players for too long.

Going younger with guys like Garrison and Booth looked good on paper, and it's only now in hindsight that they don't look like upgrades. Gillis can still make good on the mistake though. He's gotta start making some serious calls though.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#194 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I have been calling for AV to be fired but I am starting to think AV AND MG need to be fired.......

#195 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Forgot about those two.

Does that mean we could trade Edler this summer before it kicks in (which I assume would be the season opener)?

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#196 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

4a
4b
4c

sad but true.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Ebbett Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise
Sestito Schroeder Pinizotto

I want everyone to take a look at this roster. I mean really look at it.

Is this a roster that should be challenging for a division title? It's no wonder we can only score one goal. Half the forward group are AHLers.

So before everyone goes and jumps all over the players, stop and think about it. These players are all probably looking at management too and thinking "a little help Gillis?"

team is 2-3 upgrades from being a contender. Gillis has work to do.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#197 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sedin Sedin Jagr

Would be nice addition if the team was rolling but we might not even make the playoffs...

I'd rather Gillis look for the future, get as many draft picks you can and make a deal to bring in a young playmaker.

#198 kamloopsblazers22

kamloopsblazers22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

At the same time, if we kept those players and were still struggling, fans would be saying that we did exactly what the flames did. Which is hold onto older players for too long.

Going younger with guys like Garrison and Booth looked good on paper, and it's only now in hindsight that they don't look like upgrades. Gillis can still make good on the mistake though. He's gotta start making some serious calls though.

but you know what. Garrison can't hit the net. The difference between garrison with ehrnoff and salo is. They got the puck to the net from the blue line. They nailed it right home top shelf or got it on the stick of the screening player. Garrison just misses the net completely.

Edited by kamloopsblazers22, 18 March 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#199 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,191 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

It's easy to blame the goaltenders, but Nashville game aside the Canucks are scoring 2 goals a game or less : not good enough.

It's nice they finally got a PP goal, but it was the only goal they scored tonight. Power play is still crap, and Vancouver didn't look very dangerous on many of their scoring 'chances'.

The Canucks look uninspired and lazy, and they say they are trying hard, but they aren't making anything happen.

It's not easy to blame the goaltenders. In fact, you couldn't blame them in the last 4+ yrs for Canucks struggles. Lately, you definitely can. The numbers don't lie. They are both struggling worse than I can ever remember.

I mentioned the Canucks lack of scoring. It is a concern, I'm not dismissing it. But no team is going to score 4 or 5 goals every night to win hockey games. With the Canucks current goaltending, they have to. They've got a healthy back end and 2 healthy goaltenders. On paper, they should be in a better place than most teams in the league - yet, there are 14 other teams in the league with better GA/game. Unknowns and horrible goaltenders currently have better EV SV% than both the Canucks goalies.

There's no more excuses for these guys. They need to wake up.

#200 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Forgot about those two.

Does that mean we could trade Edler this summer before it kicks in (which I assume would be the season opener)?

We could trade him. I think usually clauses on contracts kick in on July 1 most years.

But think of it this way.....we still have Keith Ballard on this team almost 3 years later. If Gillis hasn't pulled the plug on a player that the coach HATES, what is the likelihood he will trade Edler immediately after signing him to a huge long term contract?

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 18 March 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#201 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

More of the same. No goaltending.

For the first time in ages, I agree with AV. This team did play well tonight. I think they actually outchanced their opponent - which would mark the 1st time all season they outchanced their opponent in consecutive games. Oh looky, they lost both of them easily.

I thought this goalie tandem would be this teams best asset this year. Boy was I wrong. It's been their albatross. A black hole. The abyss. They both have welllllllll below league avg EV SV%. Hiller, Bishop, Bernier, Holtby, Garon, Reimer, Miller, Scrivens are a few of the "what the hell" goalies with better EV SV% than either Canucks goalie. No excuses. It's pathetic. The Canucks D have lowered the scoring chances against to a point it's well below league avg on most nights. Yet their goalies can't stop a beach ball.

Yes, this team needs to score more goals. No doubt about it. But no team is going to score 4 goals every night to win hockey games. Someone needs to sit down both goalies and let them know how much they make - and what's expected of them.

Good post.

The troubling thing is that both goalies started out the year in good form, but now they're both losing the goaltending battle, at times against AHL call-ups. I know I'm just speculating, but at some point it has to be a concern that the Luongo trade hold-up is affecting both of them.

This, too, falls on Gillis.

#202 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

They should ask him to come into the locker room and have a chat with the guys. :P

They should ask him to be AV's replacement as head coach.

#203 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

They tried their best.

Posted Image

Edited by Samuel Påhlsson, 18 March 2013 - 10:48 PM.

SYvE9NH.gif

#204 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Lu lets in the weakest goals and nobody seems to have any high compete level.

We need change!!!!!!!!!!!

the 3rd goal was the only one that could MAYBE be considered weak, and it was because our defense turned a 2 on 2 into a breakaway. Goaltending is not the issue when you only score 1 goal

Luongo/Schneider are not the problem with this team

#205 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

It's not easy to blame the goaltenders. In fact, you couldn't blame them in the last 4+ yrs for Canucks struggles. Lately, you definitely can. The numbers don't lie. They are both struggling worse than I can ever remember.

I mentioned the Canucks lack of scoring. It is a concern, I'm not dismissing it. But no team is going to score 4 or 5 goals every night to win hockey games. With the Canucks current goaltending, they have to. They've got a healthy back end and 2 healthy goaltenders. On paper, they should be in a better place than most teams in the league - yet, there are 14 other teams in the league with better GA/game. Unknowns and horrible goaltenders currently have better EV SV% than both the Canucks goalies.

There's no more excuses for these guys. They need to wake up.

Its not the goalies. The players are just getting worse.
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#206 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

We could trade him. I think usually clauses on contracts kick in on July 1 most years.

Oh good, there's our major trade asset this summer then since we have no forwards we can trade to get an impact player. Package Edler with one of the goalies to get a legitimate top 6 forward.

Edit: Just saw your edit above and you're probably right that AV would not want to trade him. But MG might not have a choice.

Edited by MJDDawg, 18 March 2013 - 10:53 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#207 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I think what a lot of people are saying is right. We have almost zero scoring depth.

Kesler, Booth, Kassian.

Regardless of how they've been this season. They would be a lot of help right now.

Edit: Also, neither goalie has been lights out this season, and they need to be if we want to go on a roll with what we have right now

Edited by CanuckianOne, 18 March 2013 - 10:52 PM.

g3HKFnX.png

#208 zejono

zejono

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

I was saying before that AV needed to be fired but when I see the whole team is practically AHL I want MG fired first and then AV.

#209 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Oh good, there's our major trade asset this summer then since we have no forwards we can trade to get an impact player. Package Edler with one of the goalies to get a legitimate top 6 forward.

Read my edit......lol

#210 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

I think what a lot of people are saying is right. We have almost zero scoring depth.

Kesler, Booth, Kassian.

Regardless of how they've been this season. They would be a lot of help right now.

Even if that line was healthy it didnt have chemisty... because theyre all powerforwards that dont like to pass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.