The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We're trending towards copying Calgary

The Dark Knight

When I say this I mean that we're pretending to be contenders when the core of our team has simply run it's course in terms of being "elite". Like Iginla, the Twins are on the decline, but play well enough to help make this team contend for a playoff spot and will possibly do so for the next few years. Making the playoffs is different than winning in the playoffs and with the team we have assembled now we'll be having 1st round exits much like Calgary did after their cup run.

We're tied up in so much salary that there is little room to inject new blood and retool/rebuild properly. A lot of dead weight/poor contracts.

Like Calgary, our defense core is getting older, slower and their level of play has just dropped considerably. It's a little overrated in that sense and we've got way too much money tied up in a core that's all underachieving minus Tanev.

Like Calgary our Prospect pool isn't in the greatest shape. Only real potential stud is Nicklas Jensen but he might be a few seasons away from being a real solid NHLer.

Like Calgary, we're stubborn in accepting change. Whether it be come a coaching staff or the type of player personnel that we acquire. MG has done a piss poor job since after the cup run in managin our assets and acquiring the right pieces. It's quite clear to see that our team is being out coached on a nightly basis.

The Canucks management have to rebuild now!A good season to start is this year when it's a shortened season. New blood is important to keeping an organization fresh and it's clear that the coaching staff and certain players have worn our their welcome. We're an extremely stale, boring and predictable hockey team with no edge or swagger. This core is a fragment of the 2011 team and it's quite obvious that it's not just a slump.

I don't want to be like Calgary where they have nothing to look forward to for the near future because they made terrible decisions when it was the proper and justified time to rebuild. Canucks are heading down that path with relying on the Twins and having long term contracts in place to older players past their prime. We need to rebuild this team and it's core because they've ran their course.

I don’t think we’re quite where Calgary is at the moment (although we may be in a few years). I honestly think that the main problem is that everyone (coaches, management, players) has gotten too comfortable where they are and seem content on just plugging away rather than trying to achieve more. In my mind the only way to change that is to make an earth shattering change of some sort to shake the team out of their slumber (via trade, firing, etc). This team can (and should) play better than they are right now and in my mind they need a wakeup call that mediocrity is not good enough and will not be accepted.

Slow down, we're not there yet.

We're riddled with injuries and were under performing. Remember the 07/08 season? A couple of moves and some firings (hopefully) will put this team back on track, it's not like the Sedins are approaching their forties, they're arguably the most durable players in the league.

There's just no urgency right now. A change in coaching or the lineup will fix that, but a complete overhaul isn't necessary yet.

I think we are a few years away from that. If we had a healthy roster we'd probably still be 1st in the NW, unfortunately we aren't healthy. I think Management has faith that when Kesler gets back this team will turn around making them afraid to make changes...but if we keep trending this way our players will start losing confidence and then only changes would fix this team....

got a good point dark knight, but the difference is we won 4 straight division titles on top of 2 straight presdients trophies. Calgary did not even come close to any division titles during the same time. The Canucks on paper, are very good team, and they still are. (injuries have gotten to us) Calgary, not so good. Not even that, MIke Gillis is a superior GM to Sutter/Feister.

I completely agree that this is the time to start the rebuild, this team just seems to have too many holes that need to fill in our roster paired with our lack of high end prospects.

In my opinion, now is an optimal time to start the rebuild since the shortened season means more teams are still in the race to make the playoffs thus there will be less sellers at the deadline making any available players cost a premium, paired with the strength of this upcoming draft.

Also if we wanted to move a defensman, Edler NTC doesnt come into affect until July 1st, who would still fetch a good return since he is a 50pt defensman at a modest 5mil a year contract despite his defensive play currently.

Slow down, we're not there yet.

We're riddled with injuries and were under performing. Remember the 07/08 season? A couple of moves and some firings (hopefully) will put this team back on track, it's not like the Sedins are approaching their forties, they're arguably the most durable players in the league.

There's just no urgency right now. A change in coaching or the lineup will fix that, but a complete overhaul isn't necessary yet.

This team was done when AV convinced Gillis we needed the 3rd line as a checking line over a scoring line and that we needed to be big and tough over softer and highly skilled. Canucks really over reacted to the SCF lost and now we're declining and no cup to show for it. I can't say I fault Gillis a 100% as after that lost everyone from the fans, media and even his own coach told him how this team needs to get tougher and bigger and less skilled, he listened and now it's looking like the next best option would be to blow the core and do a quick rebuild, if you can convince Sedins and/or Kesler to waive at this stage you'll retool very quickly with the kind of return they'd bring back, hell I would even consider trading Schneider at that point. Gillis should have made a big move last year after being out in the 1st round, he needed to send a message to the core, he didn't and this is the out come. IF this team misses or does poorly in the playoffs then the way I see it this core at it's shot and failed and blow it up in the offseason, this should be the last straw for this core, no more excuses, raise and stay or fall and go.

Archived