The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we THAT team?

Tanev

I remember it quite clearly last year... LA and SJ were in a battle for 8th spot.

Most people (myself included) were hoping SJ would take 8th place because LA had 'sleeping giant syndrome', and they could wake up at any time (and we all know that they did wake up in the playoffs).

Fast forward to this year, and the reigning President's trophy winners for the past 2 years may limp into the playoffs. I'm not sure if CHI or ANA will be too comfortable playing us regardless of how we are playing in the regular season.

As Canucks fans, I think we all know that the regular season means nothing, as long as we make the playoffs. If we do finish 7th or 8th, and get Kesler (and Booth) back for the playoffs, we are still capable of competing with anyone in the Western Conference. Add a few depth players, and possibly sort out our goaltending issues, and we are THAT team.

I hope so, This entire season has been a bit of a write off. Without Kesler the team cannot live up to its potential. I think we still have a juggernaut team when healthy. God help us if Kesler goes down with another injury before the playoffs.

Simply put, yes we could play the underdogs come the end of april, but first we have to MAKE the playoffs.

Couple games against Avelanche, Columbus, Edmonton coming up, hopefully that can be a jumpstart for the team.

well let's count the IFs in there:

-Kesler is back to his old form (hmm after three major surgeries in two years?)

-Booth is back to the player he was before the Richards hit

-we sort out the goaltending issue

-we add depth players.

And you left out, we find a third line center and we don't have any more injuries. Well, do you feel lucky?

I think we have the talent to be THAT team, but the differenct between us this year and CHI/LA previous years is that CHI/LA had all their players primed and ready to go whereas if we do get Kes and Booth back just before playoffs there will be rust that they need to shake off. Remember, out 2nd line center has almost missed a calender year of hockey. We can definitley be THAT team if everyone's back and healthy a few weeks before playoffs, but it all comes down to timing really.

well let's count the IFs in there:

-Kesler is back to his old form (hmm after three major surgeries in two years?)

-Booth is back to the player he was before the Richards hit

-we sort out the goaltending issue

-we add depth players.

And you left out, we find a third line center and we don't have any more injuries. Well, do you feel lucky?

Our top 6 sucks and we don't have a Norris caliber blueliner, combined with under-performing goalies and you have a crapty team. But even with the roster we have now, we should still be able to EASILY walk away with the NW division.

Archived