The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we THAT team?

Tanev

Nope, unless we get another top six forward, right handed top six dman, and a bottom six centre ( and Maybe another depth winger if Booth doesnt return).

Clowe, Engelland, Torres, and Smith would be great.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Clowe-Kesler-Kassian

Raymond-Higgins-Hansen

Torres-Smith-Lapierre

You really think that if Vancouver got seeded 8th that they could beat Chicago if they were 1? Yikes.

This is not the same team that beat them in 2011, not even close. No depth, lackluster goaltending, out of sync defense, weak powerplay, streaky goal scoring by the top 6, etc. etc. Those are just the obvious problems, not even going to touch whatever character/emotional issues the Canucks have this season.

Hopefully what you say comes true. That said though, Schneider or Lu would have to be ON FIRE to get it done, and everyone would need to be in sync and greatly physical.

Brown - Kopitar - Carter (similar set-up but this line's much bigger than Twins - Burr, and also better finishers)

Penner - Richards - Williams (Booth/ Kassian = Penner? Kesler's similar to Richards but we have no Williams)

King - Stoll - Lewis (no shutdown 3rd line center (Higgins?), Kassian/ Booth could be King, Hansen can play the Lewis role)

Clifford - Fraser - Nolan (Sestito - Lapierre - Pinizzotto should get it done)

Mitchell - Doughty (shutdown guy-wise we're similar but no Dought Bieksa's not Drew)

Scuderi - Voynov (different styles really, Edler and Garrison are more offensive)

Martinez - Greene (Ballard - Tanev; Chris is undersized for the shutdown role; Martinez might be better than Ballard)

Not saying the talent's not there but it'll happen differently IMO.

Far too many ifs to be "that team"...

This team is missing depth and sadly skilled players that can create a spark; sadly were below an average team at this moment... just look at our stats, we have not been the same team since the play off run two yars ago and our management hasnt done anything to fix this

I remember it quite clearly last year... LA and SJ were in a battle for 8th spot.

Most people (myself included) were hoping SJ would take 8th place because LA had 'sleeping giant syndrome', and they could wake up at any time (and we all know that they did wake up in the playoffs).

Fast forward to this year, and the reigning President's trophy winners for the past 2 years may limp into the playoffs. I'm not sure if CHI or ANA will be too comfortable playing us regardless of how we are playing in the regular season.

As Canucks fans, I think we all know that the regular season means nothing, as long as we make the playoffs. If we do finish 7th or 8th, and get Kesler (and Booth) back for the playoffs, we are still capable of competing with anyone in the Western Conference. Add a few depth players, and possibly sort out our goaltending issues, and we are THAT team.

I remember it quite clearly last year... LA and SJ were in a battle for 8th spot.

Most people (myself included) were hoping SJ would take 8th place because LA had 'sleeping giant syndrome', and they could wake up at any time (and we all know that they did wake up in the playoffs).

Fast forward to this year, and the reigning President's trophy winners for the past 2 years may limp into the playoffs. I'm not sure if CHI or ANA will be too comfortable playing us regardless of how we are playing in the regular season.

As Canucks fans, I think we all know that the regular season means nothing, as long as we make the playoffs. If we do finish 7th or 8th, and get Kesler (and Booth) back for the playoffs, we are still capable of competing with anyone in the Western Conference. Add a few depth players, and possibly sort out our goaltending issues, and we are THAT team.

You know, if Kesler is out for another month, that means he'll likely be back for 4-5 games before the Playoffs start. That doesn't feel like enough time for him to get up to speed, given how he looked after 7 games before his latest injury. If MG doesn't have an upcoming meaningful goalie trade that includes a legit center coming our way, that's going to put a lot of pressure on Henrik.

Eight points earned over our last 10 games. Gotta do better than that over the next 20.

Archived