The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

And now comes the next in a long line of useless arguments -- the imaginary "fly on the wall" dialogue transcriptions.

Here's a question -- with one productive centre, where do you think the Canucks should be, points-wise, to date? Keep in mind that Detroit, St. Louis, LA Kings are right with us in the standings.

I'm ok if we get a good replacement. The season right now is too condensed to hire someone right now, so it's just not the time.

What we need to do is start trying to stockpile draft picks, and start making moves for the future. That means getting rid of most of our scouting staff. I would find a replacement for AV in the offseason (Unless he wins us a cup by some miracle).

I would also look at moving any player(s) if it means improving the team for the long run. I'm really hoping players like Corrado, Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen, Grenier, Lain, and Andersson surprise us all and become regular NHL'ers with big upside.

Under AV, the Canucks hockey is not fun to watch. Other than the top line, the only game the Canucks forwards play is dump in to give away the puck and chase. The Canucks Ds and goalies are in absolute choas everytime the opposition drives to the net and countless goals are scored that way. I have yet to watch a game to be won by the Canucks as a result of a smart decision by the current coaching team. Time for a coaching change in Vancouver is long overdue but I doubt if MG has the courage to makr that change.

For someone who supposedly has all this coaching experience I find it hard to believe that you do not even understand that a player's role, confidence (both self and from the coaching staff), opportunity, and linemates will all have an impact on their offensive production. This is especially true for defencemen.

If a player knows that any chance he takes that does not work out will result in a benching, how likely is he going to be to take any chances at all? Not very.

Ballard has never been given any opportunity to even see if he can contribute offensively to this team. That is not on Ballard but on the coaching staff.

So, in your infinite wisdom, it makes more sense to keep the system/coach and replace the players. Ok. Which players? And while you're at it, explain to all of us how much easier it is to completely retool a group of players than it is to replace one guy (coach).

Go ahead. We are all waiting. But wait until I grab some popcorn and a soda, becaue this is going to be GOOD and I don't want to miss one farceacle minute of your explanation.

Wasn't put out there for debate, It was more about the attitude that AV exudes, perhaps I was a little overzealous, but you get the point.

Veteran players making mistakes they hadn't in the past etc. I could accept the losses if there were a 60 minute effort, but alas there hasn't been, As I said before there have been flashes, which tells me they are capable with the lineup they have, but they are unable to sustain it, which directs me to coaching.

As per 1 productive center, you make a good point, but that begs the question, What was our record when Kes WAS in the lineup? Not so good.

We can go on and on with the excuse book, but at the end of the day every team has injuries to deal with. The results aren't there, bottomline. If I had an asset that I left in someone else's hands to nuture and make sure I got the biggest ROI that I could, and was a proven asset, and then for some reason they began to mismanage that asset and I wasn't getting the ROI I expected then someone would become a casualty.

But then again this isn't my asset, just an opinion in a long line of armchair owners, so take it for what it's worth.

Second bolded: Ridiculously small sample size. Any basic stats overview won't draw any parallels here because of it. We also had an 8-2-2 record to start the year without him, and now it's below .500 lately, also without him, and with bigger sample sizes.

The point I'm getting at is that all clubs, if they're any good at all, go through lows. The difference in CDC land is that whenever there's a rough patch -- not often in the Canucks history the last three years -- it's time to throw everyone overboard. If they stink the joint up in May? Yeah, I'm all for accountability -- look at turfing the entire coaching staff, and scrutinize Gillis more closely. But if you want to get rid of AV now, better consider doing the same to Babcock (retirement for Lidstrom? Hey, good teams don't use missing players as an excuse), Hitchcock (his no-nonsense style is wearing thin with his players), and Sutter (one year later and they're tuning him out? Or is it all on Quick, the one year wonder?).

The first bolded comment: leaving out the two current West darlings, every team in our conference has rough periods almost every game. Call it a compressed schedule, or the lockout where some players are still burning off excess bags of Doritos, or abiding resentment towards ownership where they don't care as much about their end of the bargain (not sure why this one hasn't at least been put out there yet). But the Canucks aren't this special case, unique in their problems. And if more teams than not are also experiencing them, maybe it's not all on AV.

We can rag on the coach all we want, but when we get a new guy and are all excited about him, we will all know that within 4 or 5 years (heck, probably 6 weeks) we'll be screaming about how he does/doesn't do <insert complaint here>.

Second bolded: Ridiculously small sample size. Any basic stats overview won't draw any parallels here because of it. We also had an 8-2-2 record to start the year without him, and now it's below .500 lately, also without him, and with bigger sample sizes.

The point I'm getting at is that all clubs, if they're any good at all, go through lows. The difference in CDC land is that whenever there's a rough patch -- not often in the Canucks history the last three years -- it's time to throw everyone overboard. If they stink the joint up in May? Yeah, I'm all for accountability -- look at turfing the entire coaching staff, and scrutinize Gillis more closely. But if you want to get rid of AV now, better consider doing the same to Babcock (retirement for Lidstrom? Hey, good teams don't use missing players as an excuse), Hitchcock (his no-nonsense style is wearing thin with his players), and Sutter (one year later and they're tuning him out? Or is it all on Quick, the one year wonder?).

The first bolded comment: leaving out the two current West darlings, every team in our conference has rough periods almost every game. Call it a compressed schedule, or the lockout where some players are still burning off excess bags of Doritos, or abiding resentment towards ownership where they don't care as much about their end of the bargain (not sure why this one hasn't at least been put out there yet). But the Canucks aren't this special case, unique in their problems. And if more teams than not are also experiencing them, maybe it's not all on AV.

Just curious, are you guys hoping Gillis fires AV during this season, or should he wait until after the playoffs?

Ruff guided the Sabres to the playoffs twice in the last five years. This would have been twice in the last six had he not been fired. I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach, but obviously something went south in the Sabres dressing room.

Gillis inherited AV, as in he chose to keep AV back in 2008. Since then, Gillis has extended AV's contract (twice, I believe).

If anyone has a problem with AV's coaching style, then you also have a problem with Gillis, for it is Gillis who is keeping AV here. If AV has to go, then so should Gillis.

There are some who would view this as a good thing, and who knows, they may well get their wish. Perhaps it happening sooner rather than later will be a good thing, so we can all get started on threads about the good old days when Gillis and AV were running the team. :)

regards,

G.

For someone who supposedly has all this coaching experience I find it hard to believe that you do not even understand that a player's role, confidence (both self and from the coaching staff), opportunity, and linemates will all have an impact on their offensive production. This is especially true for defencemen.

If a player knows that any chance he takes that does not work out will result in a benching, how likely is he going to be to take any chances at all? Not very.

Ballard has never been given any opportunity to even see if he can contribute offensively to this team. That is not on Ballard but on the coaching staff.

Archived