The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

Oh, I agree that if Gillis goes first, we'd need a new coach, too. Couldn't see him being around to work for three different GMs. I just find it kinda funny that while some are saying AV has the wrong style for the team, we're slowly, by plan, morphing into a team AV had his most striking success with.

Yeah I generally agree, although I think Cody had the character he is touted with having he would have shutup and tried to overcome it like Nazem Kadri did in Toronto. (Who I think is having a more impressive season BTW)

And Kesler would never be bumped over for Cody, Center is as much about defense as it is offense and Kesler defensively game is incredibly far ahead of Codys.

I do agree though about JS and your other points.

For frack sakes, make a coaching change already. AV is soo brutal. Always getting outcoached, makes awful line combinations when the choices are so obvious. Mishandled countless rookies (Hodgson, Grabner and now soon to be Kassian and Schroeder) Get this team back on track. Bring in Lindy Ruff "The master at in-game adjustments" to jump start the team. Maybe Kassian could re-ignite his play. This team is going to miss the playoffs, or get knocked out in the first round because AV simply cannot coach. Ok I'm done ranting... for now

I've seen all these threads calling for Alain Vigenault's head, but is he really to blame for our struggles. Alain Vigenault is the most winningest coach in Canucks history. We can't say he can't win games. He has been getting quite the heat lately for the team struggles. If he were to get fired, he strikes me as someone who would get a job right away and do quite well.

I watched the team today and I see nothing from the team. Absolutely nothing. They don't have that passion that they once had when they went all the way to the cup. Don't forget they had a lot of hype around them that year due to the talent they had brought in. That brings me to my next point, talent. Who's responsible for bringing the players in and shipping them out. I really thought that after the Stanley Cup finals, we needed to make some major tweaks to get the players thinking we could go all the way again. I thought the loss was too much to overcome mentally and we needed to make some good transactions to even contend. If you look at Mike Gillis, what has he really done? This is the same guy that brought a old Mats Sundin for $10 million dollars. I know a lot of you think he had a lot to due with Kesler's development, but Kesler was trending upwards no matter how you look at it. That's way too much money for anyone in this league. Speaking of way too much money we brought in Keith Ballard, David Booth through trades and now maybe even our recent free agent signing Jason Garrison. Look at Florida Panther's GM Dave Tallon, he's the same guy who built the core of the Chicago Blackhawks. He's doing the exact same thing with their young talent. He want's to get rid of these players and for some reason we have to give up our future to get these players. Our core was already here before he came. He did bring in players like Manny Malhotra, Dan Hamhuis and Raffi Torres who I say helped us during that final run, but only one of them is left. We are heading down a road where there's no light. We have good prospects, not great. We don't have that superstar or superstars of tomorrow. Our core is ageing and our window to contend has shrivelled down to this year alone. If you want to blame anyone, blame Gillis. AV doesn't deserve it. If he does gets fired it's because Gillis needs to save his own job. AV will get a job immediately because teams would love a coach with a winning record. If Gillis get's fired, how many people do you see going after him? Exactly.

Sometimes it takes a new coaching staff to get it through to their head, I haven't been on the "FIRE AV!" train, but I can understand where it might actually make a difference. At this point, I don't care anymore and am open to whatever we can do to get a fire under our team.

Note that the Sabres didn't fire Ruff because he was a bad coach, nor do I believe it was his fault, but the team needed to realize that they were not performing up to where they should be, and therefore, something had to be done. Usually the coach is the one to take the fault.

For frack sakes, make a coaching change already. AV is soo brutal. Always getting outcoached, makes awful line combinations when the choices are so obvious. Mishandled countless rookies (Hodgson, Grabner and now soon to be Kassian and Schroeder) Get this team back on track. Bring in Lindy Ruff "The master at in-game adjustments" to jump start the team. Maybe Kassian could re-ignite his play. This team is going to miss the playoffs, or get knocked out in the first round because AV simply cannot coach. Ok I'm done ranting... for now

We haven't had Kesler and Booth basically all season, MG shut Malhotra down, Bieksa has missed about 1/3 of the season so far, we haven't got great goaltending this season, our power play has sucked, and we really only have 1 line doing anything as a result.

I'm sure AV can do a little better, but a coaching change isn't going to solve these problems.

Who were our centers tonight? Henrik, Lapierre, Ebbett, and Schroeder ... Yeah ...

It's hard not to question av with the way he uses the teams talent... It was ok in the past when gillis built the team through skills and talent..but now it seems mg is building the team with grit and size over speed and skills, and you can't afford to waste talents such as Schroeder and Ballard when the whole team is compose by griners ....

I find it funny how all the people say the players have given up on AV, how can they give up on a guy who let's them figure things out on their own? What the players need is some fire under their you know what..., and unfortunately this coach doesn't bring that to the table.

Archived