The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

So are Detroits problems.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems people forget that many other good/great teams have problems. I know it's hard to put perspective on things though when a persons so focused on one team but the reality is that if you look across the league the Canucks "problems" are pretty minimal to most other teams.

Agree with you here, Detroit is having some problems now, but they have been rolling a lot longer than anyone would have expected, I think I have been writing them off for at the very least the last 5 years now.

Class organization, class owners and class management, I can't blame MG for trying to mold this organization after them.

With that being said, I don't think he has brought in any of the pieces needed to be thought of in that light, the diving, whining, and embellishment doesn't coincide with the definition of "Class".

EOTM, do you believe that AV was okay with this behavior? Do you think it was something that he tried to put a stop to, and just had no control over? Was it overblown? Do you think the team deserves this reputation? Do you think the reputation has any bearing on us bringing in potential high end free agents? Is it a core of players that will have to be torn down in order for the team to lose this reputation, if there is any merit to it at all? Do you believe this was coached into them?

The reason I ask is because I do value your opinion, although I do respectfully disagree with some.

"I think the reputation of the fans has as much a reason as the players (perhaps more as I know of 1 guy who wouldn't consider the Canucks offer sheet because he didn't want to be in a big market with irrational amounts of pressure"

I believe it takes a special kind of player to thrive in a market like Vancouver's .. Linden could handle todays level of scrutiny and shine .. but all these players here now are under immense pressure because of the Cup run .. so between a coach who may have lost the room, and a GM who seems hesitant to pull the trigger on any meaningful deal, this team teters on the edge of either the abyss or nirvana ..

That is a fair amount of pressure .. enough for everyone to take a share .. taking your own "share" of the pressure is taking responsibility .. something that seems lacking on every level .. yeah!! .. I am looking at you, Delorme ..

"I think the reputation of the fans has as much a reason as the players (perhaps more as I know of 1 guy who wouldn't consider the Canucks offer sheet because he didn't want to be in a big market with irrational amounts of pressure"

I believe it takes a special kind of player to thrive in a market like Vancouver's .. Linden could handle todays level of scrutiny and shine .. but all these players here now are under immense pressure because of the Cup run .. so between a coach who may have lost the room, and a GM who seems hesitant to pull the trigger on any meaningful deal, this team teters on the edge of either the abyss or nirvana ..

That is a fair amount of pressure .. enough for everyone to take a share .. taking your own "share" of the pressure is taking responsibility .. something that seems lacking on every level .. yeah!! .. I am looking at you, Delorme ..

So are Detroits problems.

Perhaps it's just me but it seems people forget that many other good/great teams have problems. I know it's hard to put perspective on things though when a persons so focused on one team but the reality is that if you look across the league the Canucks "problems" are pretty minimal to most other teams.

Coaches set up plans and plays. They develop an identity for the team; it's up to the team to perform to that. That doesn't absolve coaching however. If that plan isn't being or can't be met it's up to the coaches to change and adapt.

...and then everybody here complains that so and so got sent down or that AV is line juggling.

For all the pissing and moaning there are legitimate things the coaching staff are doing wrong. There's also legitimate things the Sedins do wrong, Burrows, Kesler (oh god Kesler) and most every other player.

I honestly think you might be the most irritating and childish posters on the boards.

I was commenting about your comment regarding Detroit was I not? I believe I made my point that most people here have little to no perspective involving this team in regards to the league. Also this team isn't going to squeak into the playoffs in all likely-hood it will be decided with at least a couple of games left in the season.

I have always considered myself a fair man, and always try to take a step back to make an unemotional, unbiased, educated read on situations( I have taken in a lot of varying opinions off this forum) before forming an opinion. I continue to feel there needs to be a change in coaching, not because of AV as an individual, but the results of his system, his tendencies, how the team reacts to adversity under his leadership.

Again, as I have stated in another thread, I may have an exaggerated read of the talent of this team and AV may be getting more out of a less than average to average talent pool when 100% healthy, but I firmly believe this to not be the case.

AV is a good coach, no denying that. I just think he has done everything he can with this group of players. If he were to get fired he would have a job in no time (nyr comes to mind, see what he could do with Nash Richards and gaborik

Nope it has nothing to do with you disagreeing with me. Plenty of people disagree with me and I wouldn't think anything even close to them being immature or irritating. My opinion of you is not based on your opinion at all. I just generally find you irritating and immature...even on subjects I've agreed with you on.

I really don't think AV's system would work with the players on the NYR. AV would have an effect on a team similar to what happened in Phoenix. He could pull a team that is in turmoil and take them to the play-offs with his high-percentage systems. But he would never take them further than that.

Torts is a pretty awful coach, though. His GM has done more than enough to put good teams together, and Torts hasn't been able to pull these players together.

I really don't think AV's system would work with the players on the NYR. AV would have an effect on a team similar to what happened in Phoenix. He could pull a team that is in turmoil and take them to the play-offs with his high-percentage systems. But he would never take them further than that.

Archived