The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

Our main downfall this season has been our defense and power play. Both Bones and Brown haven't adjusted... someone explain to me why they are still with us.

AV... well AV. Always puts those players he wishes to see succeed in those positions, while the players (Ballard) who have time and time played well, are still in the doghouse. It seems as if the players in the locker room have tuned him out, in a 2-1 game going into the 3rd period yesterday, how could we have come out so flat-footed in the 3rd? That's mainly to do with the coaching. If nothing is getting our team fired up right now, and this was the same issue last season, the coach needs to go.

AV is a good coach, but he's not the coach our team needs and he should have been long gone.

Dallas Eakins would be my first choice. He's done a marvelous job with leafs and their young players.

We need someone who will work with young players and give them a chance to succeed. Rather than whine about the youngesters playing sheltered minutes and force trades to happen so we can have more plugs with no scoring touch in our lineups.

Dallas Eakins would be my first choice. He's done a marvelous job with leafs and their young players.

We need someone who will work with young players and give them a chance to succeed. Rather than whine about the youngesters playing sheltered minutes and force trades to happen so we can have more plugs with no scoring touch in our lineups.

Just curious, are you guys hoping Gillis fires AV during this season, or should he wait until after the playoffs?

Ruff guided the Sabres to the playoffs twice in the last five years. This would have been twice in the last six had he not been fired. I'm not suggesting he's a bad coach, but obviously something went south in the Sabres dressing room.

Gillis inherited AV, as in he chose to keep AV back in 2008. Since then, Gillis has extended AV's contract (twice, I believe).

If anyone has a problem with AV's coaching style, then you also have a problem with Gillis, for it is Gillis who is keeping AV here. If AV has to go, then so should Gillis.

There are some who would view this as a good thing, and who knows, they may well get their wish. Perhaps it happening sooner rather than later will be a good thing, so we can all get started on threads about the good old days when Gillis and AV were running the team. :)

regards,

G.

AV's coaching decisions are very questionable. And I'm not sure what he's like inside the room, but from what we know the players say that he usually doesn't have to say a lot extra to them. I think we'd benefit more from a coach who's more vocal about his opinions and demands of the team in order to spark them. I also am annoyed with the way he treats younger players. Putting them on the fourth line with grinders playing minimum minutes and then benching and sending them down to the AHL just because they don't produce does not seem justified to me. If he hasn't noticed, it's not only the young players that are performing poorly.

Although I disagree with the whole "fire AV" bit, I do admit to being frustrated at times with the coaching decisions.

I can't for the life of me figure out why we keep trotting out the same 1st PP unit. The only thing that seems to be even partially effective right now is the Garrison point shot. (although he was back to shooting it wide again last night) If nothing else, I'd like to see Brown switch the defense pairings on the 1st unit. Bieksa-Garrison has been better than Edler-Hamhuis, IMO.

I don't know exactly how much autonomy Vigneault gives Brown, (I believe he handles his assistants like he handles his players; preferring to let them work out their issues) however, in this respect, I agree with AV's detractors in that as head coach, he needs to step in at some point and tell them what they're doing isn't good enough.

I think that time is long overdue with Newell Brown. (Although I disagree that Bowness is to that point. Yet.)

You can't figure out why they keep trotting out the same PP unit? Because AV would rather lose with his favorites than win with anyone else carrying the mail. It is his trademark and a huge reason this team lost to Boston in the finals.........

The best coaches get the best out of every player and hold all of them accountable. Can you honestly say AV has done that to Edler this season? Or Hamhuis? Or Bieksa? Come on.....he plays favorites and while that can be ignored when you are dominating (although it shouldnt be but whatever), it should be addressed as soon as it becomes a chronic inhibitor to the team's success.....which it did over a year ago.

AV's coaching decisions are very questionable. And I'm not sure what he's like inside the room, but from what we know the players say that he usually doesn't have to say a lot extra to them. I think we'd benefit more from a coach who's more vocal about his opinions and demands of the team in order to spark them. I also am annoyed with the way he treats younger players. Putting them on the fourth line with grinders playing minimum minutes and then benching and sending them down to the AHL just because they don't produce does not seem justified to me. If he hasn't noticed, it's not only the young players that are performing poorly.

You know, this sound like some sort of prayer you say before you go to bed every night. I've answered all of these points many times and it's getting tiresome. I honestly don't understand why you continue to post your opinion in response to my posts, expecting me to change my mind and agree with you.

One more time: The Canucks lost to Boston because they were not healthy and Thomas played unbelievable in net.

2) I'm sorry your boy Ballard isn't getting more playing time, but it's not the reason the team is where it's currently at.

Let me know when you have something new to whine about.

I don't expect to change your closed mind about the subject. But you have no valid argument for keeping AV other than regular season success and an intense fear that his replacement might not be better.

If you think the only reason the Canucks lost to Boston was because of injuries then you are proving my point about AV........the coach's JOB is to overcome injuries in the playoffs......by getting the most out of the 23 man roster.....Some coaches can, and some - like AV - can't. Because they keep going back to what has worked in the past instead of trying something new and getting all players on the team playing with confidence and to their strengths. It is called getting outcoached.....

It won't happen this season. AV will get his shot, i don't realistically see this team going anywhere and AV will be fired in the off-season. MG will have a short leash.. Costing Aqualini alot of money with these buy-outs now they'll have to pay the coach as he watches from his tv as well lol.

Archived