The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

Yeah... Kind of tired to hear about Lindy Ruff, as if he was the saviour. 'Cause he did a lot for his team in 17 years, right?

How about someone in our backyard, like Don Hay from the Giants? Could be worth a try. Don't know much about him, so feed me if you know stuff we should know, but just the fact he won the Memorial Cup should already be an eye-opener.

But maybe he's not interested in the job, I don't know.

Yeah... Kind of tired to hear about Lindy Ruff, as if he was the saviour. 'Cause he did a lot for his team in 17 years, right?

How about someone in our backyard, like Don Hay from the Giants? Could be worth a try. Don't know much about him, so feed me if you know stuff we should know, but just the fact he won the Memorial Cup should already be an eye-opener.

But maybe he's not interested in the job, I don't know.

I don't think the issue is that he doesn't juggle from time to time, its that he doesn't juggle the right pieces.

Weise up to the top 9 and Kassian to the 4th isn't positive juggling.

I agree, he doesn't do it.

How you can continue to choose Alberts over Ballard when Alberts has been bad, and continue to bring out the reasoning behind it that "It gives us the best chance to win" is a joke.

Would you consider failure getting eliminated early from the playoffs.

Going 0/34 on the PP.

Continuing to bang your head against the wall with the exact same failing line-ups and strategies without change.

You know, this sound like some sort of prayer you say before you go to bed every night. I've answered all of these points many times and it's getting tiresome. I honestly don't understand why you continue to post your opinion in response to my posts, expecting me to change my mind and agree with you.

One more time: The Canucks lost to Boston because they were not healthy and Thomas played unbelievable in net.

2) I'm sorry your boy Ballard isn't getting more playing time, but it's not the reason the team is where it's currently at.

Let me know when you have something new to whine about.

It all comes down to opinion I suppose. However, the Anti-AV opinions I'm seeing in this thread cannot be quantified. It's easy to say, AV doesn't coach to his players' strengths, doesn't use the right combinations, or doesn't get the most out of his players. It's impossible to verify one way or another.

However, my opinions can absolutely be verified.

The Canucks did get beaten by the Stanley Cup champions the last two playoffs, they were dealing with significant injuries and they were matched up against the eventual Conn Smythe winning goaltender. These are verifiable facts, not just your opinion of what the coach could or should have done differently, that you maintain would have made the difference between winning and losing.

Unbeleivable? Is that so? Thats amazing, I didnt know Thomas' play was so amazing since up until Rome murdered Horton, Thomas was the losing goaltender and after the hit, the Canucks forgot how to shoot anywhere other than the center of the Thomas' chest..

You obviously are ome of those fans thats eaten up this fictitious idea that the media was spouting that Thomas played out of his mind.. The truth of the matter is that the Canucks attempts on net were average at best and a non-threat the rest of the time. With the way the Canucks were trying to score frigging DiPietro would have been made to look otherwordly.

Blind obedience to authority is a quality highly sought after by incompetent management and would be dictators.

Having been witness to gross incompetence and utter stupidity at the highest levels of business and government by the supposed most qualified and intelligent, I can never understand this approach to anything in the world.

I honestly do not understand a mindset that puts such blind faith into the hands of others and is unwilling to question their actions when faced with evidence that things are going wrong or are inneffective.

Gillis was a lawyer and a player's agent. AV was a plug when he played. What makes them the best hocley minds in the world?

There are GMs and coaches being fired regularly. What makes you think the Nucks, who have a GM with 0 experience prior to coming here and a coach let go from his previous job and brought uip from the minors to coach the Nucks, have hit the Holy Grail of hockey knowledge?

Well if you go back and watch that series you will see that the actual quality of shots the nucks got on goal were low-threat perimeter attempts.. Thomas was good but unbeleivable? No.. he was very beleiveable.. the solid Boston D gets no credit? Please.

I agree with this take. If all the GMs and coaches were so perfect, they would all win the Stanley Cup and never get fired. They would all retire on their own accord or die of old age while still doing the job.

Although you didnt mention Mike Gillis played in the NHL. Gotta give credit where its due.

It all comes down to opinion I suppose. However, the Anti-AV opinions I'm seeing in this thread cannot be quantified. It's easy to say, AV doesn't coach to his players' strengths, doesn't use the right combinations, or doesn't get the most out of his players. It's impossible to verify one way or another.

However, my opinions can absolutely be verified.

The Canucks did get beaten by the Stanley Cup champions the last two playoffs, they were dealing with significant injuries and they were matched up against the eventual Conn Smythe winning goaltender. These are verifiable facts, not just your opinion of what the coach could or should have done differently, that you maintain would have made the difference between winning and losing.

What personnel decisions? Against the B's he had no-one left. Hamhuis, out. Rome, out. Henrik, Kelser, Ehrhoff, Edler, Bieksa....all playing hurt.

People at the time were whining about Tanev being brought in instead of Ballard. How does that look now?

And what would the "back up plan" be for losing your top goal scorer?

I can't believe there are people who still don't want this joke of a coach fired. You guys realize he is the one who allows our guys to go out and dive all over the rink like dolphins and then encourages them to keep doing it. Pretty sure he also put a bounty on Hossa last time we played the Hawks. AV has no place in this league. Ruff AND Wilson are both available, go get one of them before another team does. We need a coach who knows how to win without bending the rules.

More verifiable facts:

1st round 2011 - Hawks had to fight tooth and nail to get into the playoffs while the Canucks could cruise to the President's trophy. After a 3-0 series lead where the Canucks won their games by no more than 2 goals and an injury to Brent Seabrook, one of the best Hawks' Dmen:

April 19/11 - Canucks lost 7-2

April 21/11 - Canucks lost 5-0

April 24 and 26 - both games went to OT.

An objective view would say that the Hawks did the better job coaching given their weaker circumstances relative to the Canucks.

Against Nashville in the second round:

Went six games with only one game won by more than 1 goal margin.

An objective view would give the coaching edge to Nashville who as a trapping style team with less talent would aim for a result to keep it close and to hope to win by a small margin.

Ok, I can't really complain about the Sharks series in the conference finals which was finished quickly in 5 games although it would have been interesting if the Sharks won game 5. I would say though that for the luck the Canucks got here, the Canucks were on the other end against the LA Kings last year.

Cup finals:

Canucks won 3 games. Each of the games they won were by a one goal margin.

Boston's 4 wins were by scores of:

8-1

4-0

5-2

4-0

Injuries are understandable but these losses were pretty ugly. I couldn't find an 8-1 loss in the finals since 1996 Panthers against the Avalanche. However, the Panthers were a heavy underdog against a stacked team, not a president's trophy winner favoured to win the cup.

In 2006 NHL finals the underdog Oilers lost their top goalie Dwayne Roloson, who many credited for their success. However, other than a 5-0 loss, they went eventually lost in 7 games but only lost games by a 1 or 2 goal margin and even won a game 4-0.

So with these facts in mind combined with the unverifiable facts I would say that the coaching could be better because there are proven cases where it was under similar or worse situations.It's either that or the coach is so unlucky to have players that can be so inept at the wrong times and so many times which have nothing to do with the unverifiable, questionable pattern of decisions made this year and in past years that so many people have noticed.

They fell just short of one of the greatest collapses in playoff history against Chicago after going up 3-0. At the time, they were a healthy and fresh team. Quenneville made adjustments...AV didn't.

Like I said...eventually, it comes down to reuslts no matter how qualified you are. As a coach yourself, you likely see the injustice in this and it bugs you. It is what it is. SOmetimes it is the messenger as much as the message.

This year - Boudreau in Anaheim, Therrien in Montreal, and Sutter in LA last year. All teams that had good coaches but were under-performing. A change in coaching style/message turned tose teams around. Why do you think the same could not happen here.

Yep, get him a greyhound ticket for Toronto, The guy has one of the best shots in Garrison off the point and doesnt use him on a 5-3??? He can take his ego and step off. I think he tanks games for personal vendettas with his players.

Time for him to go!

Archived