The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

I agree that the coaching "could have been better". I disagree that a different coach would have beaten the Bruins.

As far as the Chicago series goes, the Canucks won. Boston needed a 7th game OT win in the first round as well. This was one season removed from losing to the Flyers, after holding a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 lead in game seven. However, Chiarelli stuck with Claude Julien...

The players dont like him ... they are over it .. and if you think that the refs are harsh with us because of the players , youd only be half right .. The refs are tired of hearing our coach screaming like a b+tch , and insulting them .. He needs to shut his mouth .. and move on to another team .. only a matter of time ..

I'm going to go with your argument about goaltending and say the Julien isn't a genius coach either... goaltending won it for him and he went along for the ride. I think similar to the 2010 NHL finals where there was weak goaltending for both the Hawks and Flyers (only game, game 2, had less than 3 goals against for both teams), 2011 had weak coaches on both sides.

You would think that if a Canucks team was so strong in 2011 wouldn't need to play a style that would have so many players get injured. In past history other AV coached teams have had heavy injuries too which makes you wonder if there's a correlation. The LA Kings and Hawks, the other previous winners in the last 3 years seemed to play a style the maximized their strengths and let them finish off some series early with minimal injuries. Sure there may be some luck involved but I got the the sense from watching those teams that they had the optimal plan suited to their team. The Canucks, the top regular season team and leading many major statistical categories, only winning one game in the whole 2011 run by more than 3 goals along with the blowout losses makes me believe that the coaching strategy was flawed and therefore, coaching could be better.

The players dont like him ... they are over it .. and if you think that the refs are harsh with us because of the players , youd only be half right .. The refs are tired of hearing our coach screaming like a b+tch , and insulting them .. He needs to shut his mouth .. and move on to another team .. only a matter of time ..

What personnel decisions? Against the B's he had no-one left. Hamhuis, out. Rome, out. Henrik, Kelser, Ehrhoff, Edler, Bieksa....all playing hurt.

People at the time were whining about Tanev being brought in instead of Ballard. How does that look now?

And what would the "back up plan" be for losing your top goal scorer?

what??? Hamhius Tanev are not crap. Ehrhoff was not crap either, on top of that, Kassian and Booth are good additions to the team. We have to wingers hit and bang and have skill. Not sure what crack you are smoking there bro.

I don't think its the coaches problem. I do welcome a coaching change, but A.V is a good coach. His recored proves it. Just look at his coaching record. Is unreal.

Poor argument here, could ask you, How did the coaching change in LA work out? But would be a weak rebutal at best, as one has nothing to do with the other.

We are a below .500 team that has played nowhere near it's potential, I would believe that Aquilini being a successful business man, is results driven. I would imagine that he leaves room for some error, but after the results of last years playoffs and this years poor play the numbers won't play well for him, therefore changes will need to be made to attain those results.

I don't believe that he is in the business of losing money, and the playoffs are revenue that he can't afford to lose out on.

There will be casualties, middle management (AV) will be first to go, along with any of the assistant coaches that MG deems are responsible for "said" results. If this doesn't work then there will be a change in upper management (MG).

It could also be possible that Aqualini cleans house, but I think the scenario above is the more likely.

The simple answer is yes.

The Realistic answer MG wont fire him and will burn another year with this team. Once Lindy Ruff is hired which could be anytime now, then ya your next best option is this John Cooper AHL coach i suppose. But id prefer a proven NHL coach like Ruff.

They havent changed the PP and we cant score. Before Booths injury why not try him on the PP. Why is Hamhuis on the 1st unit over Garrison? I would have Bieksa on the point aswell as he can get the puck on net, chances for tips and rebounds are how alot of goals can get scored on PP.

They looked unethused to play last night against a detroit team who played friday, definitely looks like our team doesnt want to play 100% for close to a full game.

Really? 9 regulation wins in 27 games in the weakest division in the league. They are being dominated at home by teams on long road trips playing back-to-backs while they themselves are fresh. They have virtually no offensive production (one flukey game aside) and playing like this, risk missing the playoffs.

How bad do you want them to get?

Archived