The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a new coach?

Italia2006

The same could be said of any style; For some it works, while others tune it out.

The truth is, however, that Torts has a cup ring. Whether the players on that team tuned him out is surely debatable, but not likely. And just because he loses his mind from time to time doesn't mean he's a raving lunatic. He does have composure most of the time.

I wouldn't necessarily argue that AV's lack of demonstrability is the reason this team is losing, but I would suggest that a change in scenery is good for perspective. All teams change coaches. It's easier than a roster re-haul. It just makes more sense, too, whether or not the coach is to blame.

If your car leans to one side you don't keep the flat tire and buy a new car to attach to it. No, you replace the tire.

This car is on its last legs. Time for a new tire.

When 90% of the team looks like they have tuned out the coach and are floating for more than half of every game (and think they are playing well while doing it) maybe it is time for a little more hands on approach from the coach.

If you think that a new coach is necessary because he has gone stale, I can't argue with that. (I can disagree, however)

But my post was in response to the idea that the team needs an "emotional" coach, such as Torts.

And please spare me the "he's won a Cup" bit. So has Crow and Keenan...

As much as they may need a new coach, any coach is going to struggle with the current forward line up. One line then a bunch of fringe players and/or not ready AHLers. No coach can make them NHL 3rd liners, never mind 2nd liners.

Did you know Bowman started shopping Yzerman around 89/90? Because with Bowman everybody played a two way game even the 50 goal scorer. If you wouldn't you'd be moved. Adjusting his game played a huge part in lengthening Yzermans career. After all what use is a goal scorer when the scoring touch fades? This is also true of the goal scorer in a scoring drought. If you're not scoring and can't, or won't, defend you're hurting more than helping. This is why Bowman insisted everybody play a two way game and one reason he was so successful.

Couple of things about player mismanagement. 0-36 before he puts garrison back on first unit PP?

Sends down schroeder for not producing offensively when he is playing with 4th line plugs? (dont give me that crapp about his pp time, this is the worst powerplay they've had for years).

Rather than balance the strengths of this team rather than the weaknesses he has had raymond play center rather than higgins right of the bat who actually had experience at it.. Sure raymond played last year but he was just as bad.

Archived