The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian is a Power Forward not a Grinder!

NewYorkYankees8771

Kass needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game before he steps into much more ice time. Right now, he is a defensive liability. He has all the tools - big, physical, skates well - to be a good defensive player, but he is not using them, as his +/- suggests. He also turns the puck over far too much.

Give the kid time. He's young yet.

We don't want another Cam Neely-Dale Tallon-Cody Hodgson-Rick Blight-Jere Gillis situation to arise.

Ebbett is a better hockey player than Kassian and is more experienced than Schroeder (not to mention he destroys Schroeder when it comes to faceoff abilities). Ebbett has also had a 32 point season in the NHL (in 48 games) not to mention the 5 goals in 18 games last year playing 2nd line center when Dank went down (2 of which were overtime winners). Schroeder has 2 goals in 23 games. I'm not trying to bash on Schroeder, I like him as a player, but he is young and like Kassian will take some time to adjust to the NHL. I believe that once he does, he will surpass Ebbett. Right now though, Ebbett is AV's choice and rightly so.

Kassian has more potential than Ebbett but potential doesn't win games. I'm not exactly an AV fan (especially on the subject of Edler) but the decision to keep Burrows with the Sedins was the right one (people forget they were struggling until Burr replaced Kass on their line), Kassian needs to earn his keep. Keep in mind that he is still a young guy, he isn't a bust, he just needs time. Rushing prospects turns you into the Leafs or Oilers.

I can't wait for his breakout season. I dont know how many more years it will take (anywhere from 1 to 4?) but it's gonna be awesome to see Kass prove he's a legit NHL scoring force. It's inevitable in my opinion, it's just a matter of time before he silences all the doubts.

Archived