The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The real reason for our spot in the standings.

zombieksa

Like most of CDC, yesterday got be a little scared. Luckily Thomas Drance and Cam Charron (number wizards) have eased my pain a bit. We are a top possession team and our fenwick numbers and PDO indicate some wins should be coming soon enough. I don't doubt that. Maybe we end up in the 4-6th seed range come the playoffs but I am not worried about missing them entirely.

So I decided to do some looking around on the NHL website for any indication as why our team may be lower in the standings this season. Obviously we can still feast on the NW and we still have a handful of games against the lesser three teams (Col,Cal,Edm). But what else caused us to be a top tier team each year in the recent past?

:2011-2012: 11-5-2 --- 24/36pts

2010-2011: 11-6-1 --- 23/36pts

2009-2010: 13-5-0 --- 26/36pts

2008-2009: 10-6-2 --- 22/36pts

2007-2008: 5-3-2 --- 12/20pts

2006-2007: 8-1-1 --- 17/20pts

2005-2006: 9-1-0 --- 18/20pts

What are these?

These are the vs. East stats for our team since the last lockout.

These are dominating numbers for the most part collecting at least 60% of the possible points in every season and even as high as 90%.

This season has hampered our team by being stuck in the west all season, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe this year will not be our year, maybe it will, but these stats give us something to look forward to in the meantime.

Next season we will play 30 games vs. the east. 12 games more than the last 4 seasons and a whopping 20 games more than the two years following the lockout. This should make a lot of you very happy. The Canucks have a playing style that is dominant versus most teams in the east. Enough grit that is required to play in the low scoring/grinding west, but an array of skill players both on the frontlines as well as the backend.

I would even go as far as to say we would have Norris nominees on our team if we were a team playing in the east all season, and possibly one or two Rocket Richard winners (Kesler, Dank).

We may never have that luxury of playing in a conference we are better suited for but next year is a very promising looking season.

Hope this can cheer some of you up.

Interesting stats, I didn’t know that we had such a good record against the east in that last few years. Unfortunately, in the playoffs (except the SCF), we are going to have to figure out how to beat the teams in the west as well. That will not change regardless of how many regular season games we play against eastern teams.

So... the real reason we aren't winning more is we don't play any of the Eastern teams?

Ok, kidding aside, I'd seen the stats before about how we fair against each conference and each division. Only this year are we feasting more on our own division significantly more than the other teams we play so it generally has been a false argument. We have benefited this year from that though, and done more poorly against other teams. It may be just injuries, but could also be play of the healthy players, coaching, or any number of things contributing.

All we have to do now is make a superthread of all the threads where CDC'ers say they think they know what's wrong and do them - that'll fix everything, right?

I appreciate the argument you put forward, but right off the top I can see that roughly 66.66% of teh points in games against the east were captured by the Canucks over the last four years on average...so what was it against the west in those years? it is a comparison thing that counts.

My guess is 59% maybe 57%...so the difference is a ten % boost in points from the east vs points from the west...and in a 36 point season, like last year, against the east that is 3.6 points total..next year if it is indeed 30 games against the east, and it looks to be, then we are talking about a 6 point uptick over the course of the 60 point eastern games.

Again I like your stuff, good post, but when your talking about relative win ..east vs west..you need to put in the west stats too or its open to skewing to fit the narative.

gillis is trying to make moves but you have to have willing partners..in making trades, they have to determine which players could help this team. will they fit into our cap and what do others teams want for those players? when the right deal presents it's self, gillis will pull the trigger....how stupid would it be to give up a second round pick and mason raymond for a ufa that would only be a rental?

for all those that are saying gillis refuses to make trades, he is trying not to make a bad trade.

I appreciate the argument you put forward, but right off the top I can see that roughly 66.66% of teh points in games against the east were captured by the Canucks over the last four years on average...so what was it against the west in those years? it is a comparison thing that counts.

My guess is 59% maybe 57%...so the difference is a ten % boost in points from the east vs points from the west...and in a 36 point season, like last year, against the east that is 3.6 points total..next year if it is indeed 30 games against the east, and it looks to be, then we are talking about a 6 point uptick over the course of the 60 point eastern games.

Again I like your stuff, good post, but when your talking about relative win ..east vs west..you need to put in the west stats too or its open to skewing to fit the narative.

Archived